PDA

View Full Version : Was Coach for a day…

Suntzu
03-10-2003, 10:07 AM
1st off… American rules kickboxing sucks…

Julio couldn't travel with with us to the scary high hills of Penn state to represent the US against the tyranny that is Tean Canada… and since I'm the elder statesmen… I was in charge…

Canada came deep… they had good fighters but they seemed to gas early… but MANNN is it stressful being the Coach… u gottta get the paperwork str8… gear 'em up… keep the motivated… keep them away from the hotdog stand… find out who they fighting… come up with last minute stratedgies... co-ordinate the corner work... and after all of that... they dont listen to u when they get in there and start mixing it up...

Rafael had what I think was the fight of the night… the whole time I'm warming hm up… I'm wondering if he's motivated… was he in good enuff shape… but I don’t show my worries… man… this kid put it all out there…at first it's evenly matched… good stuff for the crowd kicks... punches... a few chases by both of them... but Refael keeps dropping his hands... 2nd round Canada come out like a mad man... i thot Rephael was in trouble... but than Canada gases out... Raph starts dropping the heavy hand on him... dude staggers but wont fall... i hate it when they do that... they both gas... than Raph hits him with a high kick...crowd goes nuts... Canada fires on back... man they go at it... 3rd round was pretty much even... the judges give it to Canada... dont know why tho...

Jowbacca
03-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Sounds like it didn't turn out too bad.
Says a lot that he survived the fight.
How'd you like coaching versus fighting?
See yourself coaching some day?

Suntzu
03-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm definitly gonna be a Coach… right now I like fighting better… the butterflies are all the same tho… yeah the dude from Canada was tuff… it seemed natural for me… except dealing with the officials and other coaches… but don’t count this old man out of the ring just yet...

Jowbacca
03-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Kewlies. :cool:
I'ma be a fighter some day if I can help it.
Was born club footed, makes left lead real hard.
Think I've finally decided to go right lead; but I need to figure it out a bit first.

How do you guys usually handle southpaws?
Got any southpaw fighters?
How do they gotta switch up their game?

Saw your little comment about the footwork makin it not kung fu; you mighta seen one of my rants on another thread.

There's more than one reason why people certain styles look at san shou and go "hey, that's different. it's not like what I do".

These reasons are not as simple as eye gouges & pokes.
They also are not just about aesthetics.

The stance comment (for example) isn't because they wanna assume some shaw brothers pose. There are concrete reasons for the stances & a strong root in training and application (fighting).

Sometimes there are inconsistancies between what many of us understand as sanshou training/fighting; and the underlying principles of a particular style.

I think that the error that many people take is to act like it's inferior. Different should NOT be taken as a statement of superiority/inferiority. Some differences may be an improvement. Other differences may just be adjusting to a particular ruleset. Just wish it wasn't so hard to find a common ground that each side could respect each other.

I'm not a huge fan of writing a lot out here in public, maybe we can talk about it some time hangin out in person.

My goal, eventually, is to fight in some san shou; or other full contact venue. I know I'm fat (235) & old (25), and probably don't have much athletic talent, but I gotta do it at least once. lol

Pork Chop

Suntzu
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
well… I'm 27… some mornings a worse that others… I have fought a southy or two… messed my thot processes up… wasn't prepared for it… but IMO u wanna have your power in the rear… however that works for you… wasn't we tryin to work something out between some of Wong's fighters and us??? anyway... i've been up since 5 am... i gonna go home and rest... i'll address the rest later... hopefully see u at the next get together... and once is all you'll need… you'll be hooked… or hurt... either way its more fun than it looks…

Jowbacca
03-10-2003, 03:42 PM
As sad as it sounds, I can't drive much power off my right foot, so eventho I'm right handed, my left hand & leg deal a lot more power.

My big decision is "Do I wanna fight the super heavyweights or do I wanna go anorexic till I can fight more normal sized dudes?" LOL

Fighting's definitely what I wanna focus on now tho. Any recommendations on a good first fight? Ohio (Art of War? Arnold Classic?) seemed to have a beginner's level. Maybe I'll just wait til next year.

See yah at the next get together.

Suntzu
03-11-2003, 07:17 AM
My big decision is "Do I wanna fight the super heavyweights or do I wanna go anorexic till I can fight more normal sized dudes?" LOL that's a d@mn good question…
there is an event soon in PA… plus there is still the continuos stuff here and there for practice…

BRB… its still early and I'm not fully awake yet…

Jowbacca
03-11-2003, 10:12 AM
I'll get going on trying to arrange some inter-school sessions.

I'd love to jump in at Pennsylvania just to give it a shot and see how really bad off I am. There may be some other issues barrin me from it. Do you guys work out on the weekends? The websites seemed to say 4pm. If it's cool, I'd like to try and drop by.

Suntzu
03-11-2003, 10:21 AM
more than welcome… let me know when or call Julio… people at the front desk be trippin sometimes if we don’t give them a heads up…Saturday its mostly us san shou guys… Sunday its more Boxing depending on who shows up…

Jowbacca
03-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Saturday sounds good then.
I'll make sure to call ahead.
I live near 97 and 695; so you guys are pretty close for me. Plus, I should be awake by 4pm if I set my alarm. :D
C-yah then.

Suntzu
03-11-2003, 12:10 PM
e-mail me… NOSPAMkimbrowr@hotmail.com… u know remove the nospam…

SifuAbel
03-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
1st off? American rules kickboxing sucks?

......... MANNN is it stressful being the Coach? u gottta get the paperwork str8? gear 'em up? keep the motivated? keep them away from the hotdog stand? find out who they fighting? come up with last minute stratedgies... co-ordinate the corner work... and after all of that... they dont listen to u when they get in there and start mixing it up...

LOL! welcome to the club , kiddo. It only gets harder as your team grows. Tip: Don't try to give them too much advice while fighting. They are in a different state of mind. If anything give them smaller simpler commands. Its hard not to be a backseat fighter when your guy is in the ring. Break up your advice into smaller chunks. All they really need when they get into that corner is encouragement and advice on the most pressing things. That first "you're doing great kid." is worth a lot more than yelling about mistakes.

You'll learn. :D