PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this school?

joedoe
03-10-2003, 05:57 PM
http://www.nationaltaekido.com/

These guys were handing out flyers at some dragon boat races I was watching on the weekend. I missed all their demos, but got a flyer.

I am not sure what I think :confused:

Surferdude
03-10-2003, 06:11 PM
It looks good, from the pictures I saw it looks good...
I think its cool that their practicing in the water too...
and that they do cool jump kicks and stuff I love kicks!!!:D ;)

carly
03-10-2003, 06:13 PM
It sounds utterly bogus! Why even waste your time thinking about it?

joedoe
03-10-2003, 06:16 PM
I wasn't planning to join up - I am happy where I am. I just didn't really know what to think of them. I guess I am usually dubious of arts where some dude has hybridised a few arts - which is pretty hypocritical considering the origin of the art I practice :). I am always dubious when the name is made up of terms from different languages.

They may well be really good. I just wanted opinions I guess :)

Kristoffer
03-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Aikido and TKD? :D That's cool! You throw him then fly kick his azz b4 he lands

Stryder
03-11-2003, 08:11 AM
(Aikido and TKD? That's cool! You throw him then fly kick his azz b4 he lands)

Its called Hapkido and its been around for quite a while now.

Kristoffer
03-11-2003, 09:07 AM
I think it's common in TKD dojangs to add a few throws and locks and then claim mastery in Hapkido. Never seen a legit school that only teaches Hapkido, can you hook me up with a link?
Would be cool, thx

Stryder
03-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Can't help you there. I did take hapkido for 3 years but our instructors were from Brunei and couldn't make a living here so moved back. You're right though most of the TKD schools in Edmonton say they teach Hapkido but its not nearly as extensive as the club I was in.

Royal Dragon
03-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Looks like a modern Japan/Korea Hybred if yo ask me. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it. I don't see any common warning signes in the groups webste. Personally, I'd stick to the Ngo Chor if it was me, but everyone must follow their own path.

joedoe
03-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Like I said, I am very happy with my Ngor Chor and have no intention of leaving, or of joining this school. I was just curious what everyone else thought because I got one of their flyers on the weekend and I wasn't really sure about them.

Ryan
03-11-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry, but just that fact that they call it "Taekido" is enough to turn me away.

joedoe
03-11-2003, 03:58 PM
That was my initial reaction too.