PDA

View Full Version : The Latest on Chueng-Boztepe

Martin Foot
03-11-2003, 07:29 AM
I just wasted my time (not for the first time) reading a post on this forum "Wing Chun techs in MMA competition", I thought that the initial point was interesting & that it may have lead to some insight, but once again it became hijacked by the knob heads with little to say other than to compare the size of their ****s.

The fact that individuals are still bothering to waste their own time and energy with these types of subjects only serves to remind me why I personally believe that pointing my web browser in the direction of this site, in the possibility of finding anything useful, insightful or interesting is becoming futile.

Wing Chun is a very interesting system of self-development, and this forum could be a powerful fulcrum to assist us all in progressive and insightful debate toward our own development.

Kung Fu to my mind is less about hitting someone in the face and more about the relationship with ourselves, after all the time spent developing our martial skill compared to the amount of time spent using them in a physical confrontation doesn’t equate to good value, if your sole purpose is win all your fights, buy yourself a gun.

One can understand junior students interest in these superficial matters, but senior practitioners?????

We all have very little time to attempt to realise our own potential, and I personally don’t want to waste any more of mine reading about when any two tiny fearful egos (whether they are individuals or groups), clashed to prove nothing more than human beings can be destructive in their anxiety, I can do that currently by switching on the TV and watching the news.

Hopefully we as members choosing to commit time to this forum can become as progressive and flexible as the system we are debating, and stop wasting our most precious commodity.

t_niehoff
03-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Martin Foot writes:

Wing Chun is a very interesting system of self-development . . . MF

I think most physical activites involve "self-development". TN

and

Kung Fu to my mind is less about hitting someone in the face and more about the relationship with ourselves . . . MF

Well, if someone were to take up boxing then I think they should recognize that it is very much concerned with "hitting someone in the face." Certainly, one can use that sport for "self-development" but that occurs *within the borders of the activity*. If your main concern is "the relationship with yourself" and not hitting your opponent, then I don't think you'll ever be a good boxer and I'd suggest there may be better activities for you to reach your goal. TN

and

. . . after all the time spent developing our martial skill compared to the amount of time spent using them in a physical confrontation doesn’t equate to good value, if your sole purpose is win all your fights, buy yourself a gun. MF

If your concern is "spirituality" and a quest to better yourself, there is no need to even become involved in the combative arts. However, the advantage of a fighting art is that it forces us to stand on our own (not behind our sifu) and face our demons (fear, insecurity, etc.). The only way to do that is by stepping up in front of others and showing what you can do for real. You get hit, you get tackled, you get kicked, etc. We all do. We all must. We must meet our own ego. That's the beginning of the spiritual journey. Anything else is fanstasy land. TN

Terence

Martin Foot
03-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Terence

TN wrote
"Well, if someone were to take up boxing then I think they should recognize that it is very much concerned with "hitting someone in the face." Certainly, one can use that sport for "self-development" but that occurs *within the borders of the activity*. If your main concern is "the relationship with yourself" and not hitting your opponent, then I don't think you'll ever be a good boxer and I'd suggest there may be better activities for you to reach your goal."

You are right; getting hit and being hit in the face is an unavoidable part of boxing. My uncle is a Olympic gold medallist from the Melbourne games and was a professional UK belt holder his name is Terry Spinks, Unfortunately he has suffered brain damage as a consequence of being hit during his fighting career, he is now middle aged and dependent on others to care for him.

I think it's all a matter of perspective I believe many people choose to come to martial arts to practice in a safe and well-managed environment, without the real dangers of getting hit in the face repeatedly. They choose the class to suit their needs accordingly. Harbouring the ambition to be the best they can be rather than the best there is. Spending their time developing their fitness & confidence and general well being. Dose that make their training any less worthy than someone with more aggressive ambitions?
I don’t necessarily believe that by being a martial artist you Inevitably become a better human being, I think we’ve all seen too many so called religious people behaving without integrity. I do however believe that utilising martial arts as a method of self-development ones fighting skills as a natural by product improve.

TN"If your concern is "spirituality" and a quest to better yourself, there is no need to even become involved in the combative arts. However, the advantage of a fighting art is that it forces us to stand on our own (not behind our sifu) and face our demons (fear, insecurity, etc.). The only way to do that is by stepping up in front of others and showing what you can do for real. You get hit, you get tackled, you get kicked, etc. We all do. We all must. We must meet our own ego. That's the beginning of the spiritual journey. Anything else is fanstasy land"

I totally agree with you, Kung Fu offers an individual an excellent opportunity to become a better humane being through training to be a better fighter, that is exactly my point, and that’s why I find it disappointing that so much space on this site and individuals time is wasted on the same insignificant drivel, that has been seen again and again for so long.

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
03-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Martin Foot

I totally agree with you, Kung Fu offers an individual an excellent opportunity to become a better humane being through training to be a better fighter, that is exactly my point, and that’s why I find it disappointing that so much space on this site and individuals time is wasted on the same insignificant drivel, that has been seen again and again for so long.

I agree, which is why we should just leave the incident in question alone. Too much fire fanning.