PDA

View Full Version : what is this ????

Chinwoo-er
03-12-2003, 09:07 PM
http://www.cis.nctu.edu.tw/~is90200/show.wmv

can anyone tell me what style is this ? It looks like wushu, caporeria, karate stances, dragonball stances, stage acting, and bad mouthing all combined.

Has this been posted here before ?

Royal Dragon
03-12-2003, 09:25 PM
It's Karate's answer to Whu Shu.

Serpent
03-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Man, that dude has some mad acrobatic/gymnastic skills. Gotta give him props for that. Of course, he probably can't fight his way out of a paper bag unless the paper is susceptible to triple salcos.

joedoe
03-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I agree with Serpent. He is a pretty good athlete. Can't really comment on his martial skills - he may be good, he may not.

SevenStar
03-12-2003, 10:41 PM
garbage fist. He was in that movie "The Legend of Junken Master"

SevenStar
03-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Seriously though, he's a great athlete, obviously. I'd bet he's an American karate stylist. You hear how the crowd was going wild? That's what it seems like American Karate forms (the modern/competition forms - they usually teach the traditional forms also) were designed for - to wow the judges and the crowd.

Serpent
03-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Kinda like the martial arts version of the circus?

David Jamieson
03-12-2003, 10:48 PM
why it's one of them new fangled "musical forms"! Ok, maybe not so new fangled, but hey, looks like a winner in the musical forms competition to me.

he was flipping out. do you think he is a ninja maybe? i mean, what with all the flipping.

cheers

Serpent
03-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Well he wasn't whaling on his guitar and he didn't kill anyone, so he's a beginner ninja at best.

SevenStar
03-12-2003, 10:51 PM
yeah, a real ninja woulda killed someone, or at least performed seppukku as the grand finale

Serpent
03-12-2003, 10:52 PM
With a frisbee.

KungFuGuy!
03-12-2003, 10:54 PM
His name is Steve Terada, he's a karate guy.

SevenStar
03-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
With a frisbee.

That's the best way!

SevenStar
03-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by KungFuGuy!
His name is Steve Terada, he's a karate guy.

what's his fighting like?

KungFuGuy!
03-13-2003, 12:21 AM
As far as I know, it's non-existant. He trains for what he's doing in that video.

Chinwoo-er
03-13-2003, 04:31 AM
You know, if this is what the future of karate is, this is seriously scaring me.
First wushu, now karate. Wrestling seems to be on the way down this path. This whole thing is a conspiricy. The acrobat and the circus is phasing out martial arts. What's next ? Grappling while people are in the middle of a jump ? Swordfights using juggling techniques ? Fencing on a tightrope ?ˇ@Pretty soon, we will be performing katas/forms with animals !!

Brothers and sisters, it is time to rise up and fight back !!!\

Hail ! Hail ! Hail !

Vapour
03-13-2003, 05:13 AM
In regard to kung-fu for display vs. kung fu for fighting debates, I want to point out that acrobatic itself is not necessarily bad from martial point of view.

http://www.style2ouf.com/

Once you on the site, click union jack flag for English page, then click video on the menu. Once you done that choose Capoeira. Check out the video "Lino, Isaac & Olivier" at the near bottom of the page but any other video would still do. By the way, historical capoeira fighter in real fight had knife or club on their hand and used lot of headbutt.

In my view, competitive sparing is one way to keep martial arts styles from degenerating into meaningless dance. O.K. I know how bad competitive sparing is if the rules are badly designed like point scoring system for karate/tkd. Then, I think judo is superbly designed sport for grapling&throw and tui shou (pushing hand/sticky hand) is excellent for the power and in-fighting. For what I see from the vid, capoeira has their own good sparing system which is designed for their particular fighting system.

Crimson Phoenix
03-13-2003, 07:34 AM
yes...it's Steve Terada...

these are the now infamous "artistic martial arts"...doing funky tricks and wild poses to some grooving tunes...
I can't stand that crap...well, but at least the guys are clear about what they do, and don't try to pass it of as martial arts like the wushu does sometimes :rolleyes:

anyway...they are tremendous athlete for sure...but the whole concept of it depresses me...

SevenStar
03-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Vapour
In regard to kung-fu for display vs. kung fu for fighting debates, I want to point out that acrobatic itself is not necessarily bad from martial point of view.

http://www.style2ouf.com/

Once you on the site, click union jack flag for English page, then click video on the menu. Once you done that choose Capoeira. Check out the video "Lino, Isaac & Olivier" at the near bottom of the page but any other video would still do. By the way, historical capoeira fighter in real fight had knife or club on their hand and used lot of headbutt.

In my view, competitive sparing is one way to keep martial arts styles from degenerating into meaningless dance. O.K. I know how bad competitive sparing is if the rules are badly designed like point scoring system for karate/tkd. Then, I think judo is superbly designed sport for grapling&throw and tui shou (pushing hand/sticky hand) is excellent for the power and in-fighting. For what I see from the vid, capoeira has their own good sparing system which is designed for their particular fighting system.

The thing about capoeira is that it's not acrobatic in application. Caporeistas do alot of infighting - takedowns, elbows and headbutts. If you look at that vid, you can see it in there. I've got a nice vid of a takedown from capoeira that I may have posted before - If not, and anyone's interested, I'll put it up somewhere. Acrobatic karate and wushu, as far as I know, is meant to be showy, and all of the flips and flash don't have any real application, like in the vid that was posted here.

Chinwoo-er
03-13-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey, there are plenty more here

http://xp3.aliencreations.com/videos.html

norther practitioner
03-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Good athlete.....
I've seen better "creative" forms locally....however that one acrobatic sequence was good.

The forms are fun, the balance is good, the practice it takes a lot of these "martial" artist to get there could be better spent IMHO. I have fun practicing the 2 wushu sequences I know, however, that is a definite side project.

Suntzu
03-13-2003, 10:53 AM
its like Streetfighter but with a real dude…

Rolling Elbow
03-13-2003, 11:05 AM
The problem with Capoeira isn't the moves they pull off (saw some awesome demo the other night), it is the fact that they likely do not practice their movements against any type of attacks in order to get the feel of the technique..after all, its hard to with the kicks and leaping...done fast and including the hands and head, i can't see why it could not be applied....I see its merit though..Takada or whatever his name was over doing the jumping kicks... much better when the hands are supporting off the ground and the torso is bending everywhich way to kick you from different deceptive angles..

TjD
03-13-2003, 11:15 AM
seems a lot like that thing they do in the olympics. part of gymnastics, where they dance around the mat and do jumping flips and such :) he was impressive... should probably try out for that instead of calling it karate :D

dezhen2001
03-13-2003, 11:38 AM
i respect the skill he has and have seen much like that here in the UK too... not my cup of tea but sometimes i wish i could do that sh|t :p

tjd: imagine someday we may have a SLT with acrobatics to split up the 3 sections! Wushu wing chun! :eek::D

dawood

kungfuyou
03-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Ernie Reyes West Coast Martial Arts style of Karate. I have seen their demonstrations a few times. All the kids get involved in doing these types of manuevers, even the teen's to young adults. Looks great for crowds, just not quite sure how effective it is!! Takes a good athlete to perform the way they do, and look good doing it!!

Golden Arms
03-13-2003, 12:57 PM
:D No comment :rolleyes:

Viper555
03-13-2003, 02:46 PM
I think he was shooting for it to look really cool. If that was his goal then he accomplished it. If you ever go to sport competitions that is the **** right there that wins the form divisions. Who's to say he can't fight though? Like I said, he could have been putting on a show so he could win the form division but maybe he can fight pretty good if he had to.

Serpent
03-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by KungFuGuy!
As far as I know, it's non-existant. He trains for what he's doing in that video.

Then he's not a karate exponent. He's a gymnast/acrobat/entertainer.

Laughing Cow
03-13-2003, 05:10 PM
He looks good, not what I would like to do though.

As for fighting skills, he might have them.
If he hasn't got them I reckon it will only take a very short time for him to get them.
He has already a lot of the basics, fitness, dexterity and so on down pat.

Combine his current skill with 2~3 yrs of solid MA study and he could be a force to be reckoned with.

I believe the same to be true for many Wushu guys.

Just some thoughts.

Souljah
03-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, Yep hes a great athlete, personally I prefer Joe Eigos stuff.....but then, If you think about it he may not be able to apply any skills but whos gonna wanna go near a guy thats flying around the room? Not really alot of techniques to use when the guys twisting and flipping with his legs all over the place.... But then you could always just wait till he tires himself out ;)

I really hate the uneccessary shouting he does, Like "Look at me, I need attention!" *(throwing toy out of pram)*

NeedsPractice
03-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Note to self:

Should I ever be good enough to be qualified to teach and open my own school, I must remember to NOT have a website so people in online forums can take video clips and pictures out of context and ridicule me.

Second note to self:
Should I ever have a school and have a website, I must remember to post ridiculous pictures and videos so people on online forums have something to entertain themselves with and distract them from training.

Third note to self:
I must remember to train more and stop visiting kung fu forum so one day I can have a school with a cool website of me doing things that would never work in real life and embarrass my teacher!

SevenStar
03-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
The problem with Capoeira isn't the moves they pull off (saw some awesome demo the other night), it is the fact that they likely do not practice their movements against any type of attacks in order to get the feel of the technique..after all, its hard to with the kicks and leaping...done fast and including the hands and head, i can't see why it could not be applied....I see its merit though..Takada or whatever his name was over doing the jumping kicks... much better when the hands are supporting off the ground and the torso is bending everywhich way to kick you from different deceptive angles..

Like any other art, that probably depends on the style (regional or angola) and teacher

KungFuGuy!
03-13-2003, 09:53 PM
His training is in Karate. The acrobatics he incorporated into his routine on his own accord.

Serpent
03-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Hey! Who changed the title of this thread from "WTF is this" to "what is this"?

Chinwoo-er
03-14-2003, 01:34 AM
who ever did it.
thanks

It was starting to annoy me too. If you have noticed, I have changed to title from my first thread to "What the hell is this"

SevenStar
03-14-2003, 07:48 PM
started to annoy you?

David
03-15-2003, 04:33 AM
Useless forms to crap music lmfao that so sucks. Reminds me of the tat talent shows on tv where kids dress up like popstars and sing their hits. There's no martiality in it whatsoever. And it's such bad dancing aswell lol. Only their families could think it was cool.

Sure I wish I could do a somersault but not if it leads to that ridiculous extreme.

(Not talking about capoeira)

-David

NorthernMantis
03-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
its like Streetfighter but with a real dude… :D

lol I like that. I might add it to my sig.

PHILBERT
03-15-2003, 01:23 PM
I bet he can get the babes at parties with that stuff.

SevenStar
03-15-2003, 04:36 PM
heck yeah. Chicks dig that stuff.

stormmountain
03-15-2003, 08:59 PM
It's called SPORT KARATE and it's a warrior's hell, but it is the current commercial mainstream of MA in America. First the Sport Karate guys starting incorporating gymnastics into their routines, then Capoeria, and now, Wushu movements, whatever the flavor of the month is..............................But that's ENTERTAINMENT!

Kristoffer
03-16-2003, 08:15 AM
I think it was awsome. And who the hell can judge anyones 'fighting abillity' by watching a form? :D

stormmountain
03-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Well that's the whole point isn't it? You CAN'T judge his fighting skill because what he is doing has absolutely nothing to do with fighting!

KungFuGuy!
03-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Well he is punching and kicking a lot, that's gotta count for something.