PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shaolin overview

lowsweep
04-08-2001, 09:09 PM
I'm trying to decide between a couple scools right now. The one that I like the most teaches Northern Shaolin and Hsing I. I know almost nothing about Northern Shaolin, I have never seen it practiced or read much about it, although I have heard it is powerful, takes a fairly long time to get good at, and is a bit more showy than other styles (more spin kicks etc.) I really don't know if any of this is true. Could somebody tell me some of the characteristics of Northern Shaolin? I could use any info I can get. Oh- and the sifu is Sifu Frank Versagi, info on him would be great too. Thanks and sorry for my ignorance...

Take the pebble
from my hand

joedoe
04-09-2001, 04:13 AM
Northern generalisation - long, low stances with a lot of kicking and longfist techniques. Good to watch, very dynamic forms.

As I said though, it is a generalisation. Very effective once you know how to use it.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

beiquan
04-10-2001, 12:12 AM
check out this quicktime video of a northern shaolin form:

http://www.harmoniousfist.com/tunda.htm

lowsweep
04-13-2001, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your help, ABandit, that was just what I was looking for. Awesome site, beiquan, and nice movies. Looks like a great style, I wonder why I havent seen much of it... Oh well, don't see too much kungfu in North Central Ohio, it's all in Columbus and Cinncinati. Thanks, lowsweep

Take the pebble
from my hand

shaolin_kid
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM
hey lowsweep.

just an aside:

I currently study northern shao-lin kung fu and qi gong under sifu frank versagi in north olmsted, OH. go here http://www.shao-lin.net for the school's website. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

shaolin_kid

Emeraldphoenix
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Dont forget to check out Seven star praying mantis in columbus....

Emeraldphoenix
02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Sifu Eric Kaltenborn/ Mantisfgtr@insight.rr.com. Northern mantis boxing academy.

Eric was taught and trained by Sifu Mike Biggie. His skills are very impressive. 7* praying mantis is a serious kung fu for the serious practitioner. check it out you wont be dissapointed.

Lokhopkuen
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
hey lowsweep.

just an aside:

I currently study northern shao-lin kung fu and qi gong under sifu frank versagi in north olmsted, OH. go here http://www.shao-lin.net for the school's website. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

shaolin_kid

Is that Northern Shaolin that is being taught at Sifu Versagi's school?
His background mentions Wudang Mtn. and Shaolin Temple. I have seen some of the Dengfeng Shaolin as well as Wudang boxing. They are most impressive. Are those styles considered Northern Shaolin, Bei Shaolin, Bak Siu Lum?

Peace

GeneChing
02-09-2006, 05:14 PM
The first time I went to Shaolin was 1995. I stayed for a month. My roommate was Frank Versagi. It was after that experience - and Shaolin was hellish back then, we went without running water for a week and it sucked (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=522) - anyway after that, Frank decided to devote his energies full time to his school. Me, I wound up here. It was a pretty intense trip, life changing for both of us, and I consider Frank one of my dear Shaolin brothers. I could tell you lots of stories about him, but then he could probably tell you a lot of stories about me, so let's just say he's a man of great character and I highly encourage you to study under him. If you do, say 'hi' for me. :cool:

ShaolinFighter
02-09-2006, 09:50 PM
If you like Hsing I or xingyiquan I recommend you to read the most you can from this site: www.xingyiquan.org

Even for people that are only interested in other gongfu styles, this is the most useful internet place to get information from a person that has been staying a long time in China and in martial arts.

Fitdoc
02-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I study under Frank Versagi at the Shao-lin Center for martial arts and i've had a very good experience thus far. Sifu Frank is excellent at combining realistic situations with traditional northern shaolin gong fu. We use 50% hands and 50% feet in our approach to fighting.

Sifu Frank is very no nonsense. Dont come to play around; you wont last long. When sifu is talking, we stand is some sort of stance (ma bu, monk stance, etc). We say "yes sir" and "no sir". When sifu is talking or demostrating something, you are not allowed to stand behind him.

Despite all that, he is receptive to learning new things pertaining to Shaolin. I trained with Master Shi DeCheng during the month of october, 2005 in Deng Feng and i brought back all the empty hand and weapon Ji Ben Gong plus 4 forms. Sifu allowed me to teach him what i learned and continues to allow me to teach classes though i'm not at an instructor level.

And Gene, we still lacked running water at various times when i was there :)

David43515
02-14-2006, 08:59 AM
You`re in North Central Ohio and you can`t find much Kung Fu? You must not be looking too hard. When I lived in Ohio I was really suprised by the number of really impressive schools.
There`s Tony Yang teaching plum flower mantis and baji.
In Akron you`ve got Steve Hamp`s Hochun school. He`s a disciple of GM Gene Chicoine. Can`t get much more traditional.
In Cleveland there`s a big Hung Gar/ shuai Chiao place. Can`t think of the teachers name right now, but he`s a student of Wing Lam`s.
And there`s always the folks at Green Dragon Studio who run the Kung Fu clubs at Kent State and Akron University.
Hope this gives you a place to start looking.

Dave Young,
Iwamizawa, Japan

GeneChing
02-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the link to kungfumagazine.com on your blog spot! We really appreciate links like that. And say 'hi' to Frank for me.

Fitdoc
02-16-2006, 07:12 AM
You're more than welcome Gene. And i'll pass along your "hi" to sifu.