PDA

View Full Version : Feet in two boats or rennaissance man/woman?

KC Elbows
03-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Most have probably heard the expressions 'one servant cannot serve two masters', or the similar one about having each foot in defferent boats in regards to cultivating different skills.

And then there's plenty of examples of rennaissance individuals, like Descartes, Musashi, Yang Jwing Ming(Engineer-kung fu guy).

Which approach do you take?

Me, I'm a rennaissance man, I have separate skills that I work dilligently on, and believe that, in the end, the payoff is worth it and gives me more depth as a person. I understand the advantages of specialization, but think there is plenty of time in life to achieve multiple goals if they are reasonably set and kept in focus.

apoweyn
03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm with you on that one.

Though I usually call myself a mutt instead of a renaissance man. But that's mostly because I don't trust myself to spell 'renaissance' properly. 'Mutt' I can handle.

Stuart B.

GLW
03-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Let's see...

Engineer by degree (as well as a Psychology degree), Software designer (engineering area) by occupation.

Martial Artist and instructor, photographer, poet (minor in English from college), dabbled in painting, ceramics, music...

I am simply either way eclectic or a total mess. :)

Oso
03-14-2003, 09:20 AM
I agree as well.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

apoweyn
03-14-2003, 09:24 AM
I can do, like, three of those things. [sigh]

Robinf
03-14-2003, 09:28 AM
It's about time men changed diapers!

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2003, 09:35 AM
When did it ever become admirable to only be good at one thing? I can scarcely imagine anyone taking the opposite position.

apoweyn
03-14-2003, 09:40 AM
And yet the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" gets tossed around pretty frequently in certain discussions. And not in a good way.

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Well, I don't think being competent in a variety of skills precludes mastery of one or two. That cliche presents a false dichotomy, IMO.

apoweyn
03-14-2003, 09:47 AM
No, I completely agree with you. My only point was that a basic knowledge of several fields (as opposed to a dedicated knowledge of one) is not universally supported. Of course, the only context in which I've really ever heard that phrase used is martial arts. So what does that tell you? (Not a rhetorical question. I'm really not sure.)

Stuart B.

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2003, 09:49 AM
It tells me that you spend a lot of time talking MA! :p I've heard it in more places than I can recall. Maybe that tells you I spend a lot of time talking to people who think in cliches, though...

apoweyn
03-14-2003, 09:53 AM
It tells me that you spend a lot of time talking MA! :)

Yeah, you ain't kiddin'. It's become like having to drink to get through the work day. Must... have... KFO...

I've heard it in more places than I can recall. Maybe that tells you I spend a lot of time talking to people who think in cliches, though...

Well, you know what they say. [Insert applicable cliche here]

Stuart B.

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Anyway, isn't "feet in two boats" a traditional Morita Ryu Karate standing qigong (or whatever qigong is in japanese)?

FatherDog
03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
A lot of folks take the position that, while studying multiple things isn't /bad/, to become a true master you have to devote all your time to one thing.

Hogwash, in my opinion. Chinese Martial arts is rife with masters who studied more than one style; Kimura, arguably the greatest Judoka ever, was also a black belt in karate and studied boxing, and lots of the great old catch wrestlers were also boxers.

That said, I think today's society does put a lot of demands on your time. Me, I train 10-12 hours a week, and in the coming months that'll increase (my body is becoming more able to recover from the demands of constant training) but I'm single and have few responsibilities. I can see that many people today probably barely have time to devote to getting good in one style, let alone multiples.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

David Jamieson
03-14-2003, 02:18 PM
I do believe that you can come to personal mastery in your life in a few areas.

Even expert in several and master of a few.

I also believe that in order to attain mastery, you realy do need to devote time to the subject at hand more than the allotments you would give to other activities.

As far as martial arts goes, to become expert takes less time than to attain mastery.

Personal mastery in any martial art takes considerable time and practice.

I currently am or at least consider myself master of nothing, but people tell me I am pretty dang good at a few things. Some even see me as a master of a few things, but it's relative to their own experience and exposure in my opinion.

we certainly are lucky in the first world countries to have the opportunities to study a wide and deep range of subjects including cross cultural studies.

cheers

Oso
03-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I think a dedicated amount of time needs to be spent to gain a level of competence in a specific area, most notably ma.

I agree w/ the pov held by several sifu's I've talked to and/or read their thoughts, that it is difficult to learn different ma systems when their methodology is very different. Maybe especially at the lower levels when they seem the most different.

ftr, I feel I can do the following:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, _____, _____, _____, design a building, _____, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, _____, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, _____, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, _____, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, _____.

tsunami surfer
03-16-2003, 11:44 AM
I have been studying the shooting disciplines for over 15 years and still have not reached a master level. I have been training in Martial art for about 3 years and still learn something new in each class. It has also helped my shooting and awareness levels.BUT I am a master at changing a diaper and not getting any poo on my hands or where it does not belong.

KC Elbows
03-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Whaadayaknow, a thread with resolution.

Move along, nothing to see here!