PDA

View Full Version : Shuai-chiao question

tjmitch
03-14-2003, 09:39 AM
I was wonderingif someone could help me with a Shuai-chiao question. The break falls taught seem to be very different from the "traditional" style. With this "fetal position" ( for lack of a better descrption) fall, you seem to be conceeding defeat once you are thrown. I guess my question is once you have been thrown, do you just remain on the ground fetal and let the guy stomp you till he gets tired? What is the plan once you hit the ground with the guy standing over you?:confused:

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2003, 09:42 AM
The 'fetal fall' is designed to cover up your sensitive areas from follow up blows by the attacker. The plan is to fight your way back up, rather than assume you'll be let back up a'la the sport judo falls (not counting the ones where you spring back to your feet.) Think of it as 'turtling' before you hit the ground.

Shooter
03-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Keep moving. Explode from your landing to recovery.

Water Dragon
03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
What you do once you hit the ground depends on a few things. If you hit the ground hard enough, that's it fights over.

What YOU do once you hit the ground depends on what YOU train for. Me? I'll try to pull guard and sweep so I can get back up. But that's because a train that.

The reason you tuck is to protect your vitals and hit the ground with you big muscle groups. It is true that the fetal position will offer some (read very little) protection against a follow up attack, but it's better than nothing. The covering up is really more of a side benefit than a goal though.

Remember that the goal in SC is for you to throw the other guy while remaining on your feet. It's good to have a game plan if your strategy fails, but never forget the strategy you're training for.

ShaolinTiger00
03-14-2003, 11:56 AM
rather than assume you'll be let back up a'la the sport judo falls

Say What? Judoka never assume to be let back up, esp since not every throw ends a match.

MonkeySlap Too
03-14-2003, 12:02 PM
The Shuai-Chiao fall actually provides better protection. I posted years ago the science behind this, so go look for it.

SevenStar
03-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by tjmitch
With this "fetal position" ( for lack of a better descrption) fall, you seem to be conceeding defeat once you are thrown. I guess my question is once you have been thrown, do you just remain on the ground fetal and let the guy stomp you till he gets tired? What is the plan once you hit the ground with the guy standing over you?:confused:

With a judo style breakfall, your body is WIDE open for attack. Are you supposed to just sit there with you hands out by your sides and let your opponent stomp your chest in? Of course not. The curling up is for protection - nothing to do with defeat.