PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see Shaolin Monks do?

Fu Manchu
04-13-2001, 12:39 PM
In the up coming world tour featuring Dr Fu and the mighty monks of Shaoiln, we would like to get a concensus from the martial arts community as to what you think the general public would like to see in our demonstrations.

It is obvious to say that Sholin monks can and have performed many feats unimaginable to the ordinary person. But what do you think would highlight their abilities and crwate a sensational show worthly of $150 per seat.

Siu Lung
04-15-2001, 06:51 AM
(1) Perform the same great forms with REAL weapons. (2) Either wear their monk shoes OR the canvas ones we wear, and not cloth covers OVER the wushu shoes. (3) Conduct themselves as their masters, Buddhist precepts, and noble martial lineage would dictate. Of course I am speaking only of the myriad "Shaolin Monks" world tours which are simultaneously operating at any given time in several different venues in different countries. Is it really possible that they are ALL sent by the genuine Shaolin Temple in Henan Province? Hmmm, not likely. Perhaps you think I'm a little scrutinizing of these performers (costume details and such :)) but I just think if they're going to imitate the "real deal" then they should do the source justice. If cloth monk shoes aren't good enough for the modernized routines then don't wear them--and don't call it traditional kung fu. I mean sure they've got awesome skills, but so do the actors in Western or colonial American historical sites (in their own way). And at least the actors at Williamsburg's colonial village sport the right gear and real muskets. :)

**Siu Lung
(edit note: bad spelling :))

stubbs
04-28-2001, 12:10 PM
I think it would be cool to see a monk with pink fluffy bunny slippers, a pipe in his mouth, and a rubber chicken in his hand while riding a pot-belly pig

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

Inquisitor
04-29-2001, 04:11 AM
I'd like to see them go back to China and be actual Shaolin monks.

joedoe
04-29-2001, 05:12 AM
I'd like them to hunt down all the people who start stupid poll questions on KFO and subject them to a painful death (after getting their chi realigned).

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

fiercest tiger
04-29-2001, 02:43 PM
hi abandit!!! :D

i like to see them ,take drugs, swear like a heathen, rape and kill, steal cars, see them at the mardi gras!!

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Crimson Phoenix
04-29-2001, 03:08 PM
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so I want to warm up a little heheheh
I've been really thinking about it, and all I came with was "I'd like to see real shaolin monks first"...I mean...the monks we find in China nowadays are either real monks without martial practice or athlete of modern wushu that don't follow any spiritual path...so many wushu schools are open near Shaolin which claim to BE Shaolin...
Just my humble opinion :-)
Take care all...
Phoenix

old jong
05-01-2001, 01:26 AM
Wear big red noses like all the other clowns! :D :rolleyes:

C'est la vie!

handsome
05-01-2001, 01:35 AM
How about spend a night with Madonna? So next morning we'll find out if Madonna's still a VIRGIN. :D

Sun_Tzu
05-01-2001, 04:08 AM
I would like to see them come clean about being contemporary Wushu athletes dressed up like the monks of old.

....The skilled commander

joedoe
05-02-2001, 11:21 AM
Hey FT, been busy. Sorry I haven't replied before. How are things up your neck of the woods?

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

RENEGADE_MONK
05-03-2001, 02:57 AM
Kick David Carradine's Ass,
and then ride off in a lowrider listening to Tupac!!

mad taoist
05-23-2001, 06:08 PM
I would like to see them spar with other well to do martial artists of different styles.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

Rei
05-27-2001, 09:28 PM
a footage of fighting at LEAST an hour long... like 6 10minute fights to show how all the techniques apply in fast combat situation :D

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

HuangKaiVun
06-03-2001, 06:12 AM
I would like to see the Shaolin monks getting the most out of their daily existences.

Fish of Fury
06-03-2001, 10:37 AM
yeah, what huang said.
(but if they washed my car and mowed my lawn i wouldn't object)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

kungfudork
06-03-2001, 07:20 PM
well i have one comment for those who think the monks are just wushu athletes dressed like monks. you don't know what you are talking about. my sifu was already well versed in contemporary wushu(long fist)when he went to shaolin at age 12 or 13.(he stayed for almost 14 years) the first two years there he hated shaolin kungfu because it was so different than contmp wushu. he can verbally explain and physically show the differences between contemp wushu and traditional shaolin. he will also admit that many people in china just mix up the two styles, as far as stances and such. he makes sure that we know and understand the differences. some of us train the traditional and the contemp wushu with him, so we must know how we perform differently depending on what type of form we are doing. basically a punch isn't a punch and gongbu isn't just gongbu. they are very different between tradtional shaolin and contemp wushu. so those of you who think you know what you are talking about, have probably never met and spent some time with one of these monks....and most likely just saw a contemp wushu demonstraiton by one of them and assumed that is all they know. so please do some research before you just discredit these people.

respect to all,
dieter "kungfu****" wagner