PDA

View Full Version : Does Wing Chun have any Hakka Martial Arts Roots ?

FIRE HAWK
03-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Have the Hakka Martial Arts had any influence on Wing Chun might there be Hakka Martial Arts mixed in Wing Chun or apart of Wing Chun ?

yuanfen
03-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Firehawk-
Depends on whose and what wing chun you refer to.

The Hakka carefully kept their arts to themselves and did not teach non Hakka people willingly.While some changes have taken place- still largely true. The Hakkas have been victims of non Hakka snobbery at times..... class structure issue.

My hometown Calcutta(Kolkata) hasa relatively large (over 5000)
overseas Hakka....some contemporaries practiced short direct effective boxing sets and short(5-6 foot) staff. I have a friend or two in Hakka mantis

But some osmosis is inescapable in the southern hands- and some things are shared....including the phoenix eye and the ginger fist.

There are Hakka people who have learned wing chun. Leung Shun's student Paul Lam who no longer teaches is Hakka.

Phenix
03-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
Have the Hakka Martial Arts had any influence on Wing Chun might there be Hakka Martial Arts mixed in Wing Chun or apart of Wing Chun ?

What is the engine of Hakka art structure?
Have anyone seen the sei mun .... stuffs?
How is that compare to WC?

yuanfen
03-16-2003, 08:42 AM
There appears to be different Hakka arts-varying from family to family.

Even when some things are similar to wing chun
Hakka structure (jook lum tong long) for instance - differs from wc.
So their delivery of similar looking thngs differs.

The key jook lum tong long folks to their great credit have avoided the marketing that is prevalent in many areas of wing chun.

Phenix
03-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Well say, Joy.

I saw some Jook Lum and Chuga Gao....

Doesn't think they are that close to WC. IMHO