PDA

View Full Version : Sayoc Kali

Sihing Tom
03-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Can someone please give me information and/or personal experience about this Filipino art. I am considering taking up this system. I have already checked out sayoc.com and do know that it mostly utilizes the blade. Thank you in advance.

sayoc.com

Black Jack
04-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Sayoc is hardcore bladework. You can see their system in the movie the Hunted and the knifework in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I have done a little Sayoc kali, and I stress a little, but from what I did do, it takes on a whole different approach to bladwork, and cutting from the inside out so to speak instead of just working the angles.

Check it out and you will not be disappointed.

Sihing Tom
04-16-2003, 03:53 AM
Thanks Black Jack!

I am a long time practitioner of Wing Chun, and looking to learn another art that is outside of the realm of Chinese martial arts. I am intrigued by the effectiveness of Sayoc Kali, especially how the movements flow so smoothly. Reminiscent of Wing Chun's Chi Sao.

In your experience, is it difficult to learn? I am sure there are opposing principles to WC. I would not want them to negatively affect my WC, and vice versa.

Sihing Tom

yenhoi
04-18-2003, 09:03 AM
I have only limited exp with sayoc (exchanged notes over dinner, talked alot about fighting and blades....)

There is lots of info and discussion about the sayoc system on the dogbrothers website, www.dogbrothers.com .

I really like the vital template training format, which resembles many other FMA "fan" systems but really seems like a quicker way to get little parts of all the different knife skills, all at once.

If that makes any sense...

:eek:

Black Jack
04-21-2003, 03:55 PM
It's all about how much time you put into it, don't worry about conflicting principles, it will only make your training that much more alive, just for the record their are hundreds on hundreds on hundreds of fma systems.

Most fma systems start with weapon work first, then followed by the hand, which often use the very same principles, movements as the weapon work does, which saves time and promotes efficant growth.

I have a huge respect for the fma arts, its a serious blade culture, thats why I practice them, battle arts through and through, always open to growth and change, a simple key to understanding that comment is that they do start with weapon work first, where other arts that pretend to be military in origin do not, they are instead IMO peasent based.

It's all good. Go find a school and play around.