PDA

View Full Version : Just read the Post

Water Dragon
03-17-2003, 02:31 PM
This is a post from another board. The gentleman who wrote it, John Wang, is what you could consider a lineage head for Bao Ding Shuai Chiao. I like this post a lot, it pretty much sums up every thing I'm always saying in my posts. But it is said with a much greater clarity than I could put down myself. Especially in regards to what needs to be done to make your art your own.

You can find "take down" from almost any style MA but that is "take down" and is not "SC". What is the difference? Take down is "blocking" his leg so he can be "trapped over". Once in a while, you will see those "take down" in TKD or Karate. What is SC? the amount of force applied by your arm should be equivalent to the amount of force applied by your leg. You push his head down and kick his leg "off" the floor. The important part is "off" not just "trap or block". Without the "backward kicking" ability like the horse kicks it's back leg, it is not SC.

Also, even if you have learned take down technique from the form. If you don't go throw the "throwing" stage training then that technique can never be used. Any SC guys will not believe anybody can really learn the throwing art without going through many and many SC tournaments. Some time one may think that he is good in throwing art because he has been practice the "perfect situation" two men form training for quite some time. The reality is a totally different game. Your opponent will:

- Get a solid hold on you so you can not apply any technique
- Counter your technique
- Cancel your initial force so you cannot generate power from your throw
- Prevent you from grabbing him
- Retrieve from your throw so the distance is too far to apply your throw
- Resist from your throw

All those situation can not be learned from just the "take down" technique from the form or the "idea situation of two men from practice". SC is no different from sparing, You just have to take your shirt off and get with your opponent and see who can put the other person on the ground first. Do this everyday for 3 years then you may have some descent "throwing ability".

In SC there are two important parts, the "Gee Kung" and "Shuai Kung". the "Gee Kung" is to have a good SC foundation, you know all the stances, foot work, and throwing techniques. The "Shuai Kung" is how much time that you have devoted into "free wrestle with your opponent".

I have seen somebody has good "Gee Kung" and lost badly in the 1st round of his 1st SC tournament just because there is nothing can replace "Shuai Kung".

If you don't have "Shuai Kung" then you simply don't have "throwing ability".

Learning SC will make anybody a practical man. If one doesn't spar, his kicks and punches are not real. If one doesn't wrestle, his throws are not real.

"Knowing how to do" and "being able to do" are two completely different thing.

It takes years and years of time to transfer what you know in your brain on to your body.

Jump into water as earlier as possible. Don't wait until some stupid fame start to stop you from doing that.

Shooter
03-17-2003, 02:47 PM
John Wang wrote:

Any SC guys will not believe anybody can really learn the throwing art without going through many and many SC tournaments. Some time one may think that he is good in throwing art because he has been practice the "perfect situation" two men form training for quite some time. The reality is a totally different game.

Larry wrote:

...it pretty much sums up every thing I'm always saying in my posts.

So how many SC tournaments have you competed in? When will you be competing again?

Water Dragon
03-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Being a bit catty again Bruce?

The first big tourney in a few years is being planned for next Spring in Austin. I definately plan on competing in both the Jacket Wrestling and the San Shou.

So far, just jacket wrestling on a weekly basis with my classmates. About a 6 month period where I was putting myself against BJJers and Wrestlers, and the occasional Judoka. I'm expecting a 2 week solid @ss whooping this July though. I'm pretty psyched about that. :D

Royal Dragon
03-17-2003, 03:31 PM
I can sum that whole big long thing up in two, 2 word sentences

Train Hard.

Spar often.

Felipe Bido
03-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Buahaha....Water Dragon knows why I'm laughing.

Good luck at the tournament

Water Dragon
03-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Felipe Bido
Buahaha....Water Dragon knows why I'm laughing.

Good luck at the tournament

Now was that a laugh of jealousy, flattery, or do you guys crack up every time someone gets hurt too?

Shooter
03-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Catty? Again? What are you talking about?

I thought they were fair questions since you claim to share John's views and at least a portion of his reality on the matter. Practicing what you preach and all that nonsense...

Felipe Bido
03-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Hehehe, no man, (Well, if you are walking and slip and fall, and I am watching, maybe I will laugh)

But, do you remember the post where I said "Interesting" on EF, and all the private conversation that we had?. That's what I'm laughing about.

Let's leave it between you and me :D

Ok, guys go on with the discussion, don't mind me

norther practitioner
03-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Geez, just look, someone saying that both application (sparring) and concept (forms, sets, two man sets, excersises, etc.) are important......go figure. I do like the way it is said, and agree. Just a dead horse around here it seems to come up every few weeks. It is a topic that I do enjoy discussing, just too much bickering sometimes (it's only personal prefrence to how you train.)

Thanks for digging that one up though WD, I liked the wording, plain and to the point.

Water Dragon
03-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Fair enough Bruce. I think your writing style just grates on me for some reason. I'll have to remember that. But yes, practice what you preach. 100 % agreement on that.

LOL @ Felipe

Vapour
03-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Take-Down technique discussed here same as this judo throw?

http://judoinfo.com/quiz0297_3.htm

SevenStar
03-17-2003, 10:43 PM
likely any technique involving leg blocking - tai otoshi, tani otoshi, yoko otoshi, ko soto gake, single leg, etc. shuai chiao has equivalents of most of those.

In o soto though, you're not blocking the leg, but reaping it.