PDA

View Full Version : centreline theory

EnterTheWhip
03-17-2003, 09:39 PM
What is the definition and understanding of centreline theory as taught in your school?

EnterTheWhip
03-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Bueller?

burnsypoo
03-18-2003, 10:21 PM
how do different people distinguish between the vertical axis "centerline" and the straight line "centerline"? I've noticed that a lot of people use the same word for different concepts.

EnterTheWhip
03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Can we deal with one question at a time? I'd like a reply to the first question first before adding more to the equation.

TjD
03-18-2003, 11:09 PM
i'll bite, even though im sure i'll get whipped :D

(speaking vertically)
if the centerline is open, you should occupy it (preferably with a blow to your opponent).

however, when the fists are flying from someone who isnt worried about the centerline, either jam them (often by making the path of their weapon the centerline or just getting in close enough to miss the shots 'sweet spot'), or get out of the way. however when doing either, follow the rule as above.

*edit follows - as i didn't finish*

if the centerline is not open, occupy it. Your sensitivity gained from good chi sau will do the work. If you cannot occupy the centerline, change the centerline so you can.

burnsypoo
03-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by EnterTheWhip
Can we deal with one question at a time? I'd like a reply to the first question first before adding more to the equation.

figured I'd do two birds with one stone, my bad.

treestump
03-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Speaking of just theory, you have a vertical midline and a horizonal midline. The horizonal being roughly at the bottom of your breast bone. Where these two meet is your mid point, and coming directly out of your mid point away from your body is your centerline.

When in your 'ready' position both hands should be along the center line. Your offense and defense should always TRY to occupy the centerline for the greatest protection but that is not always possiblen depending on the incoming/outgoing force.

I tried not to use any tech. terms so its easier for everyone to understand so sorry 'bout being vague

EnterTheWhip
03-20-2003, 01:44 PM
What is the ready position?

CLOUD ONE
03-20-2003, 05:49 PM
To me centerline theory- The closest distance between you and your opponent!!!

Matrix
03-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by EnterTheWhip
What is the ready position? Whatever position you happen to be in. ;)

CLOUD ONE
03-20-2003, 07:31 PM
''Whatever position you happen to be in.''

You are the'ONE'

Matrix
03-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by CLOUD ONE
You are the 'ONE' Only in my press clippings. Thanks. :cool:

Rolling_Hand
03-20-2003, 08:39 PM
--What is the definition and understanding of centreline theory as taught in your school?--EnterTheWhip

A smile is the shortest distance between two people.--RH

canglong
03-21-2003, 10:47 AM
If there is a referee in between you and your apponent finding the apponent's centerline will be extremely difficult.

yuanfen
03-21-2003, 12:11 PM
crimsonking sez:

The moment that techniques become non-linear, they contradict the two previous principles of efficiency and centerline
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depends on meanings and context and details---
circles can effectively help control, attack on or defend the centerline. A circular saw on the line is a dangerous thing...

Fak, huen etc...

joy

reneritchie
03-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Straight lines are just special curves. It all depends on how you plot things. Run across a busy street without getting hit can look straight if you freeze the space and stretch out the time. Is the straight line the fastest path or is the fastest path the straight line?

Matrix
03-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Run across a busy street without getting hit can look straight if you freeze the space and stretch out the time. Is the straight line the fastest path or is the fastest path the straight line? I know that Montrealers consider j-walking to be an artform and a right of passage. :cool:
Is the fastest path, always the most effective path?

Matrix

reneritchie
03-21-2003, 03:16 PM
I know that Montrealers consider j-walking to be an artform and a right of passage

It's more an everyday fact of life. You have no idea how confusing it is for us when we go to other strange cities and see people just stopped, standing at a curb. Major heebeegeebees.

Matrix
03-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
You have no idea how confusing it is for us when we go to other strange cities and see people just stopped, standing at a curb. Major heebeegeebees. Actually I do. I was born and raised in Montreal. Worked downtown for many years. I know exactly what you mean. Now it seems weird when I go back. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. :p

Matrix