PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Sets daily?

HuangKaiVun
05-28-2001, 01:15 AM
Does anybody do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Hand Sets daily?

I'm working my way up to it, though #10 promises to be a bear.

Every time I keep working the long sets (1239-10), I learn one and then forget it soon after. Each time, I get a little more under me.

What are YOUR experiences doing or trying to do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Hand Sets daily?

beiquan
05-29-2001, 01:43 AM
i don't know all ten. i know six of them and they kick my a$$...

GeneChing
05-29-2001, 07:18 PM
That's what we nicknamed 1-10. I did them daily for about a half a year when I was prepping for my 1st trip to Shaolin. A few of my classmates have done the daily 10 too. One of my classmates used to bang them out on her lunch break. Now I'm luck if I can do the 10 once a week. It's a great regimen, but you have to have at least a hour a day every day. Like anything, the more you put in, the more you get out.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

NorthernShaolin
05-31-2001, 02:04 AM
When I was younger I did all 10 BSL everyday (6,7,8,5,4,1,2,3,9,10). For varity I would mix them up like 6,1,7,2,8,3,4,10,5,9)or lower level set,upper level set,lower,upper,lower,etc. As I got older (late 30's) I divided it up five and five every other day. I made sure I did at least a good mix like 6,7,5,2,9 then the next day 8,4,1,3,10. Now that I'm much older, it is harder to practice everyday so I'm down to 3X/week. But I make sure that I practice each set at least once in the cycle. :) :cool:

GeneChing
05-31-2001, 02:45 AM
Intersting ordering. I mostly try to do them in ascending order 1 to 10. That always feels the best to me. Sometimes we try reversing the order or doing variations for fun. One of my classmates even got a 12-sided die once, so we could roll for it (and 11 or 12 would be roller's choice or something like that.) I still keep in in my locker, but I haven't rolled that bone in ages...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

SaekSan
05-31-2001, 05:47 PM
I used to practice them daily, but with more sets (weapons, 2 person and "special" ones), Chi Gung, Iron training and keeping up with Ji Ben Gung (daily basics practice) I started doing a cycle method similar to what NorthernShaolin described.

I make sure to go through the 10 handsets every week though.

HuangKaiVun
06-03-2001, 06:06 AM
I'm not doing all 10 Hand Sets yet, but I'm doing more than 10 sets daily (lots of practice time, for now).

My physique has improved a lot from doing the repetitions, as has the physical/mental stamina.

Kung Lek
06-03-2001, 08:16 PM
well, I haven't learned all ten yet, but i understand that after you have learned all of them that they are practiced in order 1 through 10. Even though they are learned in a different sequence (as nsl pointed out, 6,7,8,4,5,1,2,3,9,10) with minor variations depending upon a sifus preference. I also understand that they were originally taught in the sequential order 1-10 but Kyu Yu Cheong changed the order at some point.

What I practice everyday is primarily the southern style I have been taught (Hak Fu Pai) and I will generally go through all the handforms (there are 4 but 2 of them are exceptionally long and the shortest has 50 motions)
After that I will (If I'm feeling pretty good) throw in the Northern forms Tun Ta and Moi Fah.

Other days I will work strictly weapons, and usually I will pick apart a set, extrapolate pieces and work those pieces to try and understand different applications.

peace

Kung Lek