PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Uniforms - opinions please

Fire Horse
03-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I want to buy a traditional Kung Fu uniform for forms and demos. I've been looking on the web and they vary in price from $25.99 for some web specials to over $200 for silk.

I guess my question is - are these cheaper uniforms comfortable. Is it worth getting a better one?

thanks

norther practitioner
03-18-2003, 01:34 PM
I usually get the $50-$80 silk or satin uniforms (or you can go cheaper by buying rayon/polyester blends). They hold up pretty nice and look a lot better than just regular cotton uniforms.

CD Lee
03-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Dang you people! You silk lovers are killing us kung fu players. Get some friggin' cotton and get sombody to rough you up. Forget the silk. No wonder everybody makes fun of kung fu. The only place silk belongs is on boxing trunks, and expect to be cleaning the blood off later. Ok, thats my rant.

But seriously, don't buy the cheapest ones. I have a 40.00 100% cotton hifu, and it is tough. I get thrown, pulled, and rolled in it, and it does great. The best part? It is comfortable in hot or cold.

Brad
03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
For forms demos/competition go with silk. My silk uniform cost around $100-$150. If you want something for more everyday use or that you're going to spar in then go with cotton. And stay away from anything with velcro :D When I first started martial arts I sparred with one of those cheap kungfu uniforms with the velcro... and got the jacket torn to shreds :D

GeneChing
03-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Did someone say they were looking for uniforms? (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/chinese-martial-arts-uniforms.html) Here's some silk for under $100. Under $90 even :D Along with all sort of other choices...

Water Dragon
03-18-2003, 07:41 PM
David Lin sells a good jacket. They are short sleeve, black jackets made of parachute material. They're very light weigh, but strong enough to take any punishment you can dish out. We grab each other by the jacket, and rip each other off the ground. I've done collar chokes with them, armbars. They're very versatile. They go for $40.00

www.combatshuaichiao.com

Oso
03-18-2003, 09:35 PM
heya, I went to a David Lin CSC seminar. good stuff.

Osito
03-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by CD Lee
I have a 40.00 100% cotton hifu, and it is tough

What is a hifu? Is that the chinese word for the kungfu uniform? I know some guys who call it a Gua (meaning jacket).

Fen
03-18-2003, 09:44 PM
I would NOT buy my uniforms from Jonie Uniforms! They look great! But not long lasting at all! I have gotten 12 uniforms from them for me and my stundents and each one of them has lasted thru 2 tourneys at the MOST, and then, it's another 120.00 for a new one. They come apart from the seams, and then just completely come apart from there.

Only if MAM would start doing the same designed uniforms, but with better quality, like MAM has. Now that would be a killer uniform. Now for class all my stundents where only MAM cotten uniforms Top (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/11kunfuunkun1.html) and Pants (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/product---index-11-17.html) and all are comffy to :D

~Jason

SevenStar
03-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by CD Lee
Dang you people! You silk lovers are killing us kung fu players. Get some friggin' cotton and get sombody to rough you up. Forget the silk. No wonder everybody makes fun of kung fu. The only place silk belongs is on boxing trunks, and expect to be cleaning the blood off later. Ok, thats my rant.

But seriously, don't buy the cheapest ones. I have a 40.00 100% cotton hifu, and it is tough. I get thrown, pulled, and rolled in it, and it does great. The best part? It is comfortable in hot or cold.

bah. It has it's uses - I've got one of the swordsman's uniforms - it's a half cut, so that you can see one of my pecs and one of my arms. I did forms in it when I was in longfist, and it got me alot of stares at tourneys - intimidation factor. I sparred in a cotton one.

GeneChing
03-19-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jason. We do custom uniforms but only on big orders. BIG orders. You got to keep in mind that MartialArtsMart.com supplies all martial arts, so where we make more bank is with the custom TKD uniforms. That's really more a TigerClaw.com function, because they only people buying at that magnitude are school owners. I've heard of people adding stuff to our uniforms themselves, like cloud pattern trim to adorn sleeves and such, but of course, you'd have to have some seamstress skills.