PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys practice at home ?

TzuChan
03-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Since I usually only have the time to go to practice once a week, I try to work on my form at home, but since it's the short form, it doesn't really take that long, so I can even do it between classes when I find an abbandoned room =) So what my daily stuff looks like, is doing my form a couple of times, extremely slow, and then doing some stretches, to get my split going for Sanshou part of Tai Chi. But what else do you guys do ? Ow yes I also practice the seven stars steff, since you don't 'really' need a partner for that.

Ether
03-19-2003, 07:19 AM
Why do you think you need to be able to do the splits to do Sanshou?

dz
03-19-2003, 07:37 AM
Neikung and various conditioning exercises.

Prairie
03-19-2003, 09:41 AM
It really depends on the weather. If I'm practicing in my apartment, then it's strictly basics and form segments. I'll also do some stretching and sometimes some qigong (yeah, I know I should be regular about this)

If I'm practicing outdoors, then I currently practice our 1st form a number of times as well as basics. Again, sometimes some qigong.

TzuChan
03-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Ether
Well if you remember who my teacher is, well I observe when he sparrs with another really good fighter in my class (national champion of his weight division), and I see some occasional high kicks, not to mention that he KO'ed some people on his way to the world championship with kicks to the opponents chin, so splits (or almost splits) should be usefull for your swiftness I think.

Liokault
03-19-2003, 11:36 AM

Same thing i thought when i read his post!!

In san shou it tends to be bad news to be doing high kicks and most guys i know who do san shou WANT their oponents to do high kicks as it tends to be so easy to catch them and follow with a take down.

BAI HE
03-19-2003, 11:44 AM
I practice avoiding my wife when she looks like she is
going to:

(1) Ask me to do a chore around the house.
(2) To stop leaving the sponge in the ****ing sink.
(3) To clean up after one of the animals.
(4) So, basically always.

I also practice the art of selective hearing, a little Pi, a little single palm and a good deal of standing.

Ether
03-19-2003, 12:11 PM
What Liokault said.

Youd be better off practising and examining the form until you have been shown some conditioning exercises and, eventually, the NeiKung.

That said, ive always wanted to be able to do the splits and very nearly can now. Got bugger all to do with fighting though :)

TzuChan
03-19-2003, 02:14 PM
I won't discuss the high kicking, since it is of no use if you think like this. But anyway, the splits are also usefull for myself when applying front kicks, cause it helps me keep my balance, since I'm not forcing or overstretching my leg, so I don't fall forward and get my chin knocked around =/

Laughing Cow
03-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Chan Si Jing, Neikung, Sections of forms, Zhang Zhuang, conditioning exercises.

If in Park add running, other exercises and Tui Shou with other TJQ practicioners I meet.

Walter Joyce
03-19-2003, 02:35 PM
chan ssu jin, jibengong, heavenly stems, kicking a heavy bag, palm changes, form work

Vapour
03-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Forms (the form, weapon and fast form) and standing exercises.

miscjinx
03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
What I do at home...

Form, silk reeling and moving with internal strength, and standing mediation/chi gung. I might try to do some of the movements with fajing - trying to steady increase the power strokes amplitude while decreasing the wavelength (metaphorically).

I find most of this stuff (internal martial arts) requires you have a partner in order to really train.

TzuChan
03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
How do you practice the silk reeling alone ?

Liokault
03-19-2003, 03:56 PM
I think you will find the reeling silk hes refering to is differant to our reeling silk.

In Wudang TTC their is no point in trying to do reeling silk solo.

Walter Joyce
03-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Chen silk reeeling (chan ssu jin) is designed as a solo exercise, to develop the jin (some also think of this as a jibengong).

The two person applications of silk reeling are the push hand sets, of which there are five variations.

omarthefish
03-20-2003, 12:00 AM
I try to keep my solo practice as close as I can to the way I practice when I go to see Sifu. 90 minutes of circle walking, run through my BAJI! once or twice "for real" Then brake it down slowly and then stright line drills and single movements.

I rarely manage to get the whole routine in at a stretch on my solo days a full practice being at least 2 1/2 hours. More likely I do only BAJI! or do bagua for 90 minutes and BAJI ! for only about 20. If it's "for real" 20 minutes is pretty **** exhausting. Then there's always little 10 - 15 minute sessions I find throughout my day.

Did I say EVERY DAY ? lol I try...

Brad
03-20-2003, 07:50 AM
For Taijiquan practice I usually...
-start with some basic qigong exercises to loosen up and get in the "taiji mood"
-then move on to moving and stationary taiji jibengong
-next I got through 24 form once
-then 72 move Sun style short form
-conditioning
-standing
-cooldown stretches
-shower :D

If I have the time, I also work on Changquan basics, my Mizongquan form, and Xiao Bajiquan :P

Waidan
03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Recently I've gotten into a standard routine:

warm up
moving chigung
circle walking/palm change exercises
conditioning (bw squats, hindu pushups, bridges)
standing chigung
fin

The training has a nice flow to it...I bring up the intensity slowly until I'm moving very well doing low circlewalking and palm changes (and occasionally forms), then go into strength/flexibility conditioning, and then cool out with standing chigung.

I often don't have much time weekdays (normally only an hour or so) and I find this to be a productive use of my time.

circle_walker
03-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Generally I practice what I feel is the most lacking. However, when I am pressed for time I do the circle walking form a couple of times, then I break down the form into the individual postures and drill those in either the standing, or straightline methods. Afterward I like to do the form in completion again to gauge my progress.

scotty1
03-21-2003, 01:03 AM
I just had my first lesson in Yang style yesterday. My teacher has corrected my standing and told em to do it 15 minutes a day. He also showed me some qigong which involves your hands being palm down, fingers pointing forwards and moving your arms in a circular motion. Anyone recognise this?

Shooter
03-21-2003, 02:15 AM
He also showed me some qigong which involves your hands being palm down, fingers pointing forwards and moving your arms in a circular motion.

Cool! Sounds like corn-grinding. Good stuff...you'll see! :)