PDA

View Full Version : "white tiger tai chi"

Prairie
03-19-2003, 09:31 AM
I just saw a video on the community access channel of someone teaching his white tiger tai chi. Has anyone here any experience with a system of tai chi with this name? The person performing in the video was not very good and certainly presented his art badly - but that is not to say it's necessarily a bad system.

Anyone?

Repulsive Monkey
03-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Sounds more than just suspect but positively crud.

doug maverick
03-19-2003, 11:17 AM
I once heard of a tiger form of tai chi but not white tiger any way that form didn't look good either so may be it's the same system

Brad
03-19-2003, 03:12 PM
The only thing I've seen that could be called tiger tai chi was a form called Soft Tiger, from the Iron Tiger system. Iron Tiger is something created by a guy named Greenly here in Ohio, supposedly from Tiger Kungfu, Thai Kickboxing, and Karate. I learned some from a fraud named Whitlock who used to call it White Tiger(I think he reached red belt level in Greenly's system before setting out on his own).

Vapour
03-19-2003, 03:27 PM
I've found this catch

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:RcrpYZtDpx4C:www.fullmotionfitness. com/releases/birth.html+white+tiger+tai+chi&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

If their claim is true, it will rewrite the history of taijiquan because documented history of taijiquan only goes back to Chen village. It's sound doggey to me to be honest.

Laughing Cow
03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Vapour
I've found this catch

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:RcrpYZtDpx4C:www.fullmotionfitness. com/releases/birth.html+white+tiger+tai+chi&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

If their claim is true, it will rewrite the history of taijiquan because documented history of taijiquan only goes back to Chen village. It's sound doggey to me to be honest.

Their origin date somehow co-incides with the one given for Chen Village.

Chen wang ting 1600~1680.

It will only rewrite TJQ History if they have verifiable proof of their statements.

Brad
03-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Grand Master Doo Wai is the 6th generation of the Doo family line. Grand Master Doo Wai, teaching in California, passed his knowledge on to Grand Master Jung Shee Lacy and Shi Fu Vincent J. Peppers, the founder of the Sovereign White Tiger Association.
This explains a lot :D Strangely enough the Greenly guy I mentioned is part of(or was part of) the same organization as Lacy, The Sokeship Council. My old teacher who stole material from Greenly, also liked to throw around the name Doo Wai :P I sense a connection...

Prairie
03-19-2003, 11:46 PM
The dude who did the video I saw is named in that site for 'fullmotionfitness'... Richard Shergold. Interesting history they have.... only a province like the on I live in would put something like that on as an educational show.

dezhen2001
03-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Jung Shee Lacy received his Master of White Tiger Kung Fu in 1985. Then in 1988, receiving his titles in a traditional manner directly from 6th generation family inherited Great Jung Shee Doo Wai of the Bak Fu Pai (White Tiger System) of Southern Chinese, direct Five Elder lineage, Kung Fu, Jung Shee Lacy inherited the 7th generation title to Five Elder Monk Mew Hing's Sup Bat MO Jung Pai (18 Taoist Palms System). isnt that a bit of a weird connection?:eek: im not knoweledgeable on the usa MA scene but isnt that the guy who split the coconut with his iron palm? :eek:

Also the history seems to be a mix up of many legends and actual history:confused:

dawood

rovere
03-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I've watched about 3 minutes of the program. The history is suspect. Also, one of my students mentioned that the 'taoist t'ai chi society' is mentioned in the credits. They are notorious for having reinvented the history of t'ai chi on several different occassions.

Yes, you are right, it seems that our cable networks are rife with unsubstantiated 'educational' content.

Prairie
03-21-2003, 01:23 PM
So... Saskatchewan isn't alone :)

I didn't catch the mention of the Taoist Tai Chi Society. I, however, would not be surprized.

SevenStar
03-22-2003, 01:22 PM
I dunno about the guy in question, but I saw doo wai's name mentioned, who I've only heard good things about. I've even got a magazine from 1986 that has an interview with him in it. If the guy mentioned is fraudulent, I'd bet he doesn't really have much to do with doo wai.

Brad
03-22-2003, 06:54 PM
I think, from what I've read on this forum, Doo Wai's White Tiger people don't acknowledge Lacy & company as being legit White Tiger folks. I think my old karatefushu teacher used to talk about Doo Wai as some wise old Shaolin monk, lol. I was pretty surprised to find out he was a real person living in the US :D

Skarbromantis
03-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Richard is the x-instructor, who took Grandmaster Simon from Temple Kung Fu to court and sued him, he now claims to have learned the real white tiger from peppers.

Skard1

BSH
04-22-2003, 04:22 PM
In my opinion, I doubt that this is authentic White Tiger Tai Ch'i based on where they claim to get it from. I have heard of it, but never seen it. From what I have read, many people believe that Jim Lacy does not have much skill, but tries to survive by selling videos and claiming a lineage to GM Doo Wai. Peppers, based on his website, seems to have gone on a religious crusade.

From what I know, GM Doo Wai does not want to be associated with either one of them and does not approve of the use of the name of his system by them or anyone who claims to have learned from them.

David Jamieson
04-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Prarie-

you doing some Chen in your avatar?

cheers

Prairie
04-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Kung Lek: I'd say that it is my attempt at a Chen style posture.

David Jamieson
04-24-2003, 08:07 AM
:-)

you're modest. It looks good!

cheers

Prairie
04-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks! :)

How's life in Toronto? Do you ever get back to Winnipeg?