PDA

View Full Version : Hello kids.

Sharky
10-10-2001, 02:56 PM
Hi, got access to the computer rooms now man. Anyways, so i am now a jjj and also a boxing practitioner. It's going ok i guess, if only for my reluctances to disown all that i have learnt in wing chun. At first i thought it was very little, but i seem to have been programmed to fight with wing chun principles. I don't like it when my jujitsu sensei telles me to put lots of weight on my front leg, or to come in so close and throw them etc. I didn't want to learn how to throw people tbh, i wanted the ground work - and now i have learned that there isn't really any in jj. There are some nice joint locks, and my senseis ability to control an opponet is unquestionable, but i don't think ti's for me. There is no judo or bjj round here. It's funny though, i went to a "shaolin nam pai chuan" kung fu class at college, and it was pretty pants. Until we got on the floor for the last 1/2 an hour and started to do bjj! It was cool, but there is too much stuff that i don't want to learn in it, it's not my idea of kung fu. We did light sparring and the practitioners were wank, i was better than nearly everyone there, and that's saying something. I have found a wing chun school in cardiff, but it's called the pro-am institute and i think it's modified. I will phone them after my lectures which are in a few minutes. I was surprised with how much wing chun had become a reaction. I guess the modern jkd guys out there would say it's my flaw, but now i've learnt some wing chun, it seems to be natural for me, and it would be natural for me to continue learning it.

The boxing is a bit wierd, i may continue it, if only for the everyday access to punchbags and use of the gym, i have not had my first lesson yet though cos the new members have not yet been told when the first class is. It's at a proper boxing gym though, and lessons are everyday so i'm thinking it's pretty hardcore. JJ is mon, wed thurs 6-8pm which i goto nearly every lesson. Some niiiice lookin ladies there too. But that's beside the point. I got a lesson tonight as it goes. Bit of a ***** getting there, as I’ve also got radio meetings tonight, I’m getting my own hip hop show which will be breadcast on cardiff radio, and over the net, so u will all be able to hear me rhyming ang playing tunes on the radio :eek: :D although, I gotta find at least 1 dj, and hopefully a co presenter, but no one in wales likes hip hop. Ho hum.

Argh, i kinda gotta go do an exam right now, so er, i'll catch u all later, I meant for me to go through and edit this so that it made sence and didn’t sound so stupid and juvinile, but there is no time, I gotta go to a lecture. Laters kids.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Fish of Fury
10-10-2001, 03:07 PM
good to see you back sharky.hope you're behaving yourself :D

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Sharky
10-10-2001, 05:14 PM
pro am institute number not in use. goooooood.... that was my last hope of wing chun in cardiff.... i've got a jj class in a couple of hours but i dunno if i'm gonna go.... i feel.... somewhat annoyed.....

Abstract
10-10-2001, 05:21 PM
good to have ya back ;)

whats the web address for your radio broadcast? maybe i can try to catch sometime...

-------------------------
In mildness is the strength of steel

Johnny Hot Shot
10-10-2001, 05:22 PM
Glad to see your back :D

Keep an open mind when it comes to your training. sounds like you can have some fun but remember what you are a Uni for... The Chicks!! ugh I mean higher learning ;)

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Sharky
10-10-2001, 05:32 PM
hi loc man, if anyone has sent me an email since i left, it's not got to me, as that account is no more. I'm working on getting a new one now, don't want to give my uni one out cos i gotta use that for like, yknow, important stuff.

the radio thing will be broardcast from www.xpressradio.co.uk (http://www.xpressradio.co.uk) but i haven't got my own show yet. Thing is today i either: attend a 5pm meeting about obtaining a java developers kit cd in the computer science dept, goto a new radio presenters meeting for the radio station at 5pm, OR leave now and be at jujitsu for 6. Any suggestions lads?

Sharky
10-10-2001, 05:55 PM
my email addy is in my profile and the url for the jujitsu club is http://www.jitsu.taffynet.co.uk/Jitsu_store.htm i'm not going tonight, instead i'm going to a kung fu club to check it out. anyone ever heard of feng shou kung fu???????????????/

bye

Godzilla
10-10-2001, 06:15 PM
Good luck in school. But don’t take it so seriously. Exams, Essays, Reports, etc. none of it seemed to help me later in life. Practice building relationships with people. Learn how to mingle in large and small groups. Stand up and speak to a crowd. And have lots of sex if you can.

Godzilla

Snake
10-10-2001, 06:22 PM
Great advice Godzilla! :)

Sharky, I guess if my choices were to take jj and boxing, or not train at all, I'd certainly stick with them. However, it is great that you are getting a chance to look at a number of different options.

I hope you are enjoying your time at Uni so far, make the most of it, it can be one of the greatest times of your life. Hope to see you around the forum more in the near future.

Snake

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-10-2001, 06:41 PM
nice to see you back you silly rump ranger.

hey . . . do you find it difficult to go back and forth between the centerline power of wt and the waist rotation power of boxing?

maybe it's easier if you learn wt first, but man my buddy did wing chun for a while and tried to teach me to punch without turning my body at all and i just couldn't do it.

he said that when he first went there they had to hold his shoulders while he punched.

where's my beer?

Watchman
10-10-2001, 07:27 PM
>>>tried to teach me to punch without turning my body at all and i just couldn't do it.

he said that when he first went there they had to hold his shoulders while he punched.<<<

That's weird. We're taught to let our shoulders extend forward to increase the whipping power at contact, and as soon as we're able to maintain good arm structure (ie. elbows not flaring out, etc) then we immediately start putting the waist into our punches (and the supporting leg) for the added power.

:confused:

Sharky
10-10-2001, 08:26 PM
i just got back. it turns out the place is like an hour 15 mins walk from my place, i have no car, it rains 24/7 (this isn't a joke/myth, it ACTUALLY DOES) and the public transport service is a) crap b) all in welsh. SO anyway, lets recap. I got my Java cd, but missed the radio meeting and jujitsu (i missed jj yesterday too :( ) and DIDN'T go to see this kung fu school (i turned back half way there, once realising how far away it was). Now it's still raining, and i ain't gonna leave the computer labs just to get ****ed through. Hmmmph.

"hey . . . do you find it difficult to go back and forth between the centerline power of wt and the waist rotation power of boxing?"

Not really man. Wc has waist rotation in it??? But i know what u mean dude, and what can i say... no, i don't find it too difficult - when i went to the introductory boxing thing at a different venue, i played about with some of them, and chain punches seemed to puzzle them, they were nice guys, interested in other styles, not dissing them. In the ring though, with big gloves on, too many things can just be blocked using the gloves. I am basically looking forward to learning new things, i just don't WANT to forget the old, i want more. And it annoys me when people are telling me to do stuff that doesn't agree with the way i want to fight. You know?

I guess i'll just goto boxing the next few days and go back to jj on monday.

Watchman and other wing chunners - have you ever heard of pro am wing tschun? Here's the webby http://www.wingtchun.demon.co.uk/frame.html - is it some modified stuff or are they cool? I'm thinking this cos, even though no one stepped up to sort out a wing hcun club at uni this year, the teachers are "external" in the way that it isn't students who are teaching the other students, it's a proper teacher, with a proper schoool - but the lessons take place on uni campus. ANYWAY, i'm guessing the teacher still lives round here somewhere! Mobile phone number is not in use however.... I tried main office number and its closed atm, they open 9-5 and it's 7:25 now. If that's the right office at all..... Any help would be good cheers

Martial Joe
10-10-2001, 08:56 PM
Yo bro...Long time not see...

I may be getting into BJJ if I ever get a job!!
I also just want to learne the ground work due to wing chun.

I am now lifting pretty hard becuse I am wrestling and I am begining to train alot...
But enough about me...Hows it going in colledge?
Tons of hot chicks right!?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Budokan
10-10-2001, 09:06 PM
Welcome back, Sharky. We've been needing someone with some common sense to help weed out the rat-headed buggers who've taken over KFO.

K. Mark Hoover

JasBourne
10-10-2001, 09:24 PM
nice to have you back, kiddo. :)

Watchman
10-10-2001, 11:38 PM
Good to see you back as well. No one dishes out the good natured ribbing like you.

As far as that Wing Chun site you posted *shrug*. I don't know anything about Nick Smart, but I find it amusing that his 800 word bio page never ONCE mentions who he actually learned from.

You might want to ask over on the Wing Chun board.

RedDragon
10-11-2001, 12:04 AM
hey sharky welcome back, its been a while, i was getting tired of too many posts from ralek and not enough from you, lol, well good luck in school man, at least youre makin an effort to learn, unlike other people

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall."