PDA

View Full Version : Kempo? :Kungfu or Karate

dre_doggX
05-13-2001, 05:25 PM
I know that kenpo was once disribe as the father of ju-jutsu and that kenpo reall means kungfu but is modern kempo a more of a kungfu or karate

Andre Lashley

northstar
05-15-2001, 01:26 PM
Kenpo translates as quanfa (boxing method) in Chinese. Quanfa is an older Chinese expression for the martial arts.
Jujutsu is older than kenpo, hence kenpo is not the father of jujutsu.
It is generally agreed that kenpo has very little to do with Chinese martial arts, and for the most part looks like a mix of karate and jujutsu.

Kymus
05-16-2001, 06:35 PM
It depends upon the instructor and the type of Kempo. I have done a little Kempo and in the begining stages, most everything is Karate, but it seems that later on in the higher ranks, you see kung fu. Some teachers wish to make it more like karate, others prefer to adopt the sash system and put in more kung fu.

-Kymus

~Crosstraining is the key~
-Sifu Rick Tucci
www.pamausa.com (http://www.pamausa.com)

MonkeySlap Too
05-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Karate.

Although it has evolved into its own thing.

It is not CMA.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Kempomon
06-29-2001, 03:51 AM
As you can tell, I do Kempo. Kempo is kind of a tricky thing in this respect because there are several different styles and the only differences in the name is whether they have an n or an m. Anyways, I am studying Goshin Kempo Jujutsu and I can tell you that as far as my style is concerned, it is primarily karate. The style of kempo I practice is probably about 75-80% karate, 15%, and 5-10% kungfu, with most of the kungfu coming into play at the more advanced levels. My school does also teach Northern Praying Mantis and Dragon Fist kungfu, but my instructors make sure that I know that these are NOT part of Kempo. So, in actuality, Kempo is kind of a mish-mosh of a bunch of things, but predominately karate.

omegapoint
07-01-2001, 01:44 PM
Wow, where do I start? There are numerous styles of Kenpo. The progenitor (original) style was derived from Chuan Fa and Okinawan Ti or Gyaku Te (Ryukyuan grappling). The style that emerged became a form of Karate that incorporates strength and agility, with power derived from the hips and legs. Okinawan Kenpo (in Japanese, Kempo)forms (kata) are powerful with a concentration on low hip positioning and powerful focusing. Hand techs are quick and powerful, and many high kicks are incorporated.

It is predominantly a competition oriented system nowadays, but was originally a Chinese-based MA learned at Ru Ru Ko's school in Fuchou (China). Bushi Kunishi of Kumoji learned it from Ru Ru Ko and passed on his knowledge of Chuan Fa and Ti to Shigeru Nakamura, the Grandmaster of Okinawan Kenpo.

Shorinji Kempo, a Japanese style, is another original Kenpo system based on Shaolin (Shorinji in Japanese) Chuan Fa. The Do (Dao or Tao) or "Way" (or Philosophy) of Zen (in Chinese Ch'an) Buddhism is greatly sressed in this art.

All other forms of Kenpo are derivative of these two parent styles, although the philosophy and methodology has been modified in many of the modern systems of Kenpo. In fact some share little more than a name with the two original forms of this Karate. So, it is Ryukyuan or Japanese in its interpretation of the art of Chuan Fa. Hope this helps...

:D