PDA

View Full Version : In K. T. Chao s Siu Lien Tao Book He uses a Punch that looks like a Boxing Jab ?

FIRE HAWK
03-19-2003, 08:21 PM
In K.T. Chao s first book Secret Techniques of Wing Chun he uses a punch that looks like a Jab fist in boxing this he uses in his Siu Lien Tao Form is this a Wing Chun Punch ?

Stevo
03-19-2003, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen the book but if it's in a book about Wing Chun, there's a good chance it might be a Wing Chun punch. Is the fist and elbow in towards the centre and are the knuckles aligned vertically? Does the punch move out along the centreline? If not, it's probably the Secret Punch.

yuanfen
03-19-2003, 09:39 PM
I dont have my copy of Chao with me- but I seriously doubt that he was throwing a jab. The mechanics of a wing chun straight punch and a boxing jab are quite different.

joy chaudhuri

KPM
03-20-2003, 05:58 PM
I have that book and I don't recall anything that looked like a boxer's jab. Maybe you could be more specific and tell us what page it is on so we can figure out exactly which punch you are talking about?

Keith

FIRE HAWK
03-20-2003, 07:28 PM
The Punch or fist is on page 101 Figure 84 and page 109 Figure 116 . This punch is used through out his Siu Lien Tao form and i thought that the Arrow punch is the punch that Wing Chun is suppossed to use in Siu Lien Tao form although K.T. Chao does use the Arrow punchs at the end of the Siu Lien Tao form . I did not mean that that punch was used like a boxing jab but that the way the fist is formed looks like a boxing punch i have not seen this punch in any other Wing Chun books forms or videotapes .

KPM
03-21-2003, 03:15 AM
No, that is not a punch at all! After each movement of the form that features a strike before the arm is withdrawn back to its position at the side of the chest, one does a huen sau (circling hand movement) and makes a fist just prior to the retraction of the arm. It just happens that the position of the hand at the end of the huen sau has the fingers towards the floor in order that you make as big a circling motion at the wrist as possible. Nothing special, nothing secret here. Its the standard way to do the form in the YMWCK system from what I've seen.

Keith

anerlich
03-21-2003, 11:36 PM
I haven't seen the Chan book, but Jack Dempsey used to do jabs that looked a lot like WC punches.

KPM
03-23-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
I haven't seen the Chan book, but Jack Dempsey used to do jabs that looked a lot like WC punches.

In the old "bare-knuckle pugilism" days prior to Dempsey the main punch was very similar to WCK's punch. It went out straight along the centerline with a vertical fist. They also employed a block that was somewhat similar to a bong sau, one that was essentially a lan sau, another that was essentially a gan sau, and even had the concept of "chain punching."

Keith