PDA

View Full Version : Whatz this new Pong Lai all about anybody know?

Jade Mantis
03-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Has anybody heard about this northern mantis system named Pong Lai Martial arts?

Tainan Mantis
03-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Pong Lai is an ancient name of Taiwan from before the time it was part of China.
Master Shr Zhengzhong chose this name as it represents his feelings that Taiwan is an independant country.
This is a common sentiment, especially in the South of Taiwan.

Besides that, the Mantis taught by him descends from Shandong like the other Mantis masters.
If you tell me where your PM comes from I can tell you how closely related you are to our branch.

mantis108
03-20-2003, 01:08 PM
My personal view is that if Shrfu Shr decided to identify his branch of mantis as Pong Lai, he certainly is entitled to do so. Given his extraordinary impressive credentials and the uniqueness of his teaching, I would think it is an advantage for him to adopt the branch designation.

First of all, he has a tremendously broad knowledge of almost all Mantis styles in existance (the width). Second, he has IMHO successfully blending them together with his distinct flavor (the length). Lastly, he has developed an unique indepth methodology (5 stages of training) in transmitting his mantis teaching (the depth). I personally have seen this in his students such as Tainan Mantis, Ponglai (the kfo member), and some others including one whom Tainan Mantis called Shrsong [I am very impressed by him eventhough I only saw he on some video clips]. Pong Lai Mantis, if we are permitted to call it that, would definitely be a 3 dimensional and extensive Mantis system. BTW, Pong Lai is rather a catchy name with human-geographic importance too. :)

Mantis108

NorthernMantis
03-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Tainan Mantis
Pong Lai is an ancient name of Taiwan from before the time it was part of China.

Really? My Taiwanese friends all have told me it was called Fermossa and that's also what I learned in school? Well I haven't asked them about pong lai but it's probably what it was called in Chinese (obviously).

Thanks for the tidbit. I'm really into history.:)

Laviathan
03-21-2003, 03:03 AM
I thought Pong Lai (Penglai in hanyu pinyin) is a place in Shandong Province...

Penglai was the mythical island of the immortals, which in reality was probably Japan (according to some historians). First Emperor of China, Qin Shihuangdi, heard about this place and went to Shandong in his quest for immortality. The Emperor arrived at a certain place and saw a mirage. This mirage was said to occur every few decades. Later on this place was named Penglai to honor this legend. Penglai is about 40 miles northeast of the city of Yantai.

Tainan Mantis
03-21-2003, 03:24 AM
NorthernMantis,
Ask your Taiwanese friends to write Formosa in Chinese characters.
That name was given to Taiwan by Europeans in the Late Ming Dynasty, not by the natives.

Laviathan,
Penglai is used more than once, like in what you said.
First Emp of China was a long time ago.
When Taiwan was called Penglai I forgot, but that information shouldn't be hard to find.
Also a place in Shandong.

yu shan
03-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Special thanks to my gong-fu Uncle and our good friend Mantis 108. These are pioneers in the gong-fu world.

Look forward to my trip to Taiwan this fall...would like to spend more time with Shr ZhengZhong. Shrye is all about gong-fu, day and night, brings it to your level. Applications to every technique !

Tainan Mantis
05-04-2003, 05:21 AM
This is the temple where John of Pong Lai USA and I trained every Sunday.
When it rained we trained under the eaves of the temple.

The most important historical site in the city.