PDA

View Full Version : Sometime Martial for a change

Chinwoo-er
03-20-2003, 09:58 AM
I have noticed that most of the thread recently isn't really martial arts related. So I thought I would start a CMA related one for a change. Even though it is predictable that this particular topic is going to be an invitation to venting and bashing.

Anyone noticed that several of the different styles of the southern arts are almost too similar to be different styles ? The ones I am talking about are the Southern Mantis', Bak Mei, Yau Kung Moon, Dragon, and even stretching it a little, wing chun. I mean, when you look at the differences within them, the variations are not that much.

For comparision, look at the different styles of Tai Chi. Their 'structure', so to speak, is really quite similar. However, difference them are distinguishable but not dramatic enough for them to be a completely different style.

Of course, we should take into account of the geographical location of each style's origin. They are indeed from the relatively similar areas. However, why is it that styles like white craw, CLF and Hung Gar seems to differ from these so dramatically and there isn't a style or two that is a "middle point" between them ?

So should there be a style that kind of unifies the mentioned styles and then just say that each of them is a subbranch of this major style ?

Note : I am not saying that we should impliment this radical idea. But it is worth talking about right ? Instead of the war vs no war, bush vs Hussain, USA vs France

Robinf
03-20-2003, 11:24 AM
I think they should remain seperate styles. They come from different histories and different people so they must have a different flavor to them. Although, that said, pecan ice cream and strawberry ice cream are still ice cream. Pound cake and Bunt cake are considered cakes. Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

Anyway. I think to preserve their history, remaining seperate is necessary. But, then, what do I know really?

I think it's a testament to the fact that the human body can only do so much.

Robin

norther practitioner
03-20-2003, 11:41 AM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=322

First off, I'd like to recommend this article.

Second, there are "middle points," so to speak. You just have to find them. The difference between styles and systems is sometimes only noticeable to a practioner of each style or system.

Cody
03-20-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't have difficulty with the separation into styles. Robin's view pretty much says it. A different history, a different leader, these are grounds for having a different name, even if many of the practical conclusions might be similar or nearly identical. And, maybe all the variations are not apparent. Some might not be obvious unless you've studied them.
There are sub-branches, in T'ai Chi, and even sub-sub-branches. yes. It works for them.
each according to his own.

Robin, now you have me thinking about cake and ice cream.

Cody

HuangKaiVun
03-20-2003, 11:56 AM
There was a lot of trade and commerce in the South.

Hong Kong, being a British Colony, was a major trading port. It - as well as southern Chinese capital Nanjing, had a lot of people from all over China coming over for business purposes.

Naturally, kung fu was brought to the South from various influences. A style like Choy Li Fut was supposedly heavily influenced by the chang chuan (specifically Ku You Cheong's cha quan) that had come from Northern origin. Or think of ngo cho kuen, which combines methods from 5 different styles from all over China.

Now if you look at the kung fu outside the major ports, it's dramatically different. Actually, it starts to take on a more regional flavor. That's why an art like Wing Chun looks so similar to Southern Mantis - and why Whooping Crane Kung Fu looks totally different from Hung Ga.

Chinwoo-er
03-20-2003, 12:40 PM
I thought about the "different history, different root" idea before. However, when you really think about it, this point isn't really relevant. It is obvious that some kind of exchange between martial artists of that time was occurring. Considering how similar they are as well as how close they are in terms of geographical location, I find it rather unlikely that they all developed their styles independent of each other and just by chance they look so alike. Hence, the history can be one hisotry of how different techniques were exchanged to enhance each other.

joedoe
03-20-2003, 07:36 PM
They do fall under one name - Southern Chinese Kung Fu :).

Serpent
03-20-2003, 07:39 PM
What the hell is white craw!?

joedoe
03-20-2003, 07:43 PM
The thing is, Yau Kung Mun does not hide the fact that it is essesntially Bak Mai with a few extra additions. However, they feel that those extra additions are sufficient to call it by a different name. There are internal styles that have a similar history. I think Yi Chuan is one of them.

Really, it is no different to having different styles of karate. There is Shotokan, Go Ju Ryu, Kyokushin etc. They are all similar but different in their own way.

Serpent
03-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Not to mention that some splits are purely political and not stylistic. Political rows are nothing new.