PDA

View Full Version : sticks

foolinthedeck
03-21-2003, 03:59 PM
if i was really wanting to hurt people. i wouldnt use my kung fu. i'd use a stick, a walking stick. but what would be the best MA to learn how to best use an everyday walking stick both to be tough, and importantly to look like you're not (for the benefit of cctv).

i'm not nasty, i just always wondered.
:>

Random
03-25-2003, 11:01 AM
I would probably go with Kali. They handle single stick, double stick, short and long stick, and knives very well. Very fast and very fluid.

apoweyn
03-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Random
I would probably go with Kali. They handle single stick, double stick, short and long stick, and knives very well. Very fast and very fluid.

I'd second that recommendation. But with a disclaimer. We never trained specifically with a walking stick or anything precisely that length. Some kali schools do. We did not. So don't take it for granted that this exact weapon will be covered. We did short stick and longstaff. That said, many of the skills will translate over.

A friend of mine was taught a lot of walking stick maneuvers in bando, by the way. He broke both of his feet in a climbing accident. Walked with a cane for a long time. And his bando teacher taught him extensively with the cane. Another possibility for you.

Stuart B.

cutter
03-25-2003, 08:56 PM
i am in agreement with the kali suggestion. i've also met some taijutsu practioners who do nasty things with a stick. if you cant find anyone to teach you Hock Hochheim has some good stuff with impact weapons,( also knife, gun & hand to hand). He does seminars & has lots of easy to folow videos. his website is www.hockscqc.com (http://)

foolinthedeck
03-26-2003, 02:58 AM
thanks all!

Repulsive Monkey
03-30-2003, 07:57 AM
First of all I'd think about the reasons why you want to appear tough but not so on a CCTV? I would bring your intentions into serious questioning and so should anyone else who freely gave out any information to you.

foolinthedeck
03-31-2003, 04:06 AM
repulsive monkey:

the thing is, i dont want to be tough or look tough, its just that i've walked to and from wing chun class with my 8 foot pole and been stopped by the cops just becuase they wanted to know what it was for, i think i told them it was a pole vault and they left me alone.
If you had to go to a serious area where using your hand forms wouldnt be enough becuase people may have knifes... well ist theoretical - i've never had a fight, and i stay away from trouble. But i'm conscious that with the amount of cctv in british city centres, if you use flashy moves to defend yourself, you could find yourself being labelled the agressor in court. the key therefore is make sure your defence looks like it is a last resort.
so your hands are raised as if to say " i dont want trouble", your body language makes it seems as if you tried to plead with your attackers, if you do fight it should look as if you accidentally hit the other person. this is what i meant

there are ways to use a stick that are really mean and nasty, what i'm interested in are the ways that look really clumsy, but are effective, like the old masters in kung fu flicks.

Ether
03-31-2003, 07:57 AM
your body language makes it seems as if you tried to plead with your attackers, if you do fight it should look as if you accidentally hit the other person. this is what i meant

there are ways to use a stick that are really mean and nasty, what i'm interested in are the ways that look really clumsy, but are effective, like the old masters in kung fu flicks.

No offence meant, but your not being very realistic.

If you get attacked in the street, you wont be worrying about how you look. You'll just be trying to survive. And don’t count on CCTV for evidence. Most muggers are smart enough not to attack people in the F.O.V of a camera.

And I really don’t think the definition in law of an aggressor is related in any way to the 'flashiness' of the move used.

Advice? Stick with one art that emphasises empty hand techniques in realistic fashion and become good at it. Relying on weapons is a very questionable decision. Reading the law as it applies to self-defence and the definition of acceptable force (in your country) is also a good idea.

edit: ive just read your profile and you say youve practised Wing chun for 10 years. Is this mostly form? Have you ever fought fullcontact?

foolinthedeck
04-01-2003, 03:45 AM
well, concerning cctv. i hear that you can count on being caught on 50+ cameras in any hour spent in the city centre, i dont even know where all the cameras are i dont think muggers really have it planned to knwo where to mug u in such detail.

but this was only hypothetical anyway, its just my lil fantasy.

when i talked about flashiness i mean this. to the average person with no MA background, doing a flashy kick and knocking someone down looks more violent than the average one inch punch or jup sao dislocation of arm etc, all i meant is that waving a big stick around will get u in a lot of trouble, carrying nunchakas around with you everywhere likewise, a walking stick will not. i was interested in MA's which train to use simple sticks like walking sticks with the kind of sensitivity and control that wing chun does.

your advice about reading the law is good advice for everyone, but we cant always rely on it.

have i ever done wing chun full contact? yes, with those bruce lee separate finger gloves too. it was fun but not what i'm all about, could i defend myself yes. could i take some punishment yes.

thanks for your etheric comments

Ether
04-01-2003, 05:46 AM
hehe,

as i said no offense was meant and I dont know your background so I am not in a any position to judge you. I do have to say though that wether you injure somebody with a walking stick or nunchuck, that action can still be judged as assault with a deadly weapon by the courts. The problem with having training in a weapon art is that ANY time you employ that skill you run the risk of being judged very harshly indeed by the authorities precisely because you 'knew what you were doing'!

Regards muggers + CCTV.

Most muggings are likely to take place in back-alleys or sheltered areas where passers by are unlikely to see you. And trust me anyone (bar complete idiots) will check to see if they are within range of CCTV before commiting a crime. Ive been attacked twice for money and both times these attacks happened outside of the city centre in areas with no CCTV. Last month someone who lives in my building was mugged at knifepoint by a guy who followed him through the security door into the post room. There are no cameras. IMO CCTV is designed to protect commercial property in malls and shopping centre's, and so on. Its not designed to stop personal attacks.

I would expect that most attacks that are caught on CCTV are drunken scraps and beatings performed under the influence of alcohol and testosterone.

fuhok-kid
04-24-2003, 05:23 PM
About sticks, In Hapkido, we have a 12 inch short stick called a(Dang Bong) that can cause some serious damage if used proper. Almost every joint lock can be made more painful with the dang Bong. We also learn cane techiques which can be used discreetly.

rogue
04-24-2003, 06:18 PM
If it's a sturdy somewhat heavy cane use it like a baseball bat. Use a nice flat swing and follow through.

Former castleva
05-03-2003, 03:33 PM
To just have a stick is an advantage that big on it´s own that you do not really have to ponder too long to figure out how to fend someone off with it.
You point out that you do not wish to "look tough".However,I believe that your best strategy is to act wise and look "tough enough" which should keep most hunters away.

I do not mean to be offending but I do think that while it is all good to be aware&prepared,it sounds like you are even too concerned about this (of course I take the change of being wrong)

Only art I can think of is hapkido,as pointed out.

yenhoi
05-04-2003, 05:18 PM
i dont think muggers really have it planned to knwo where to mug u in such detail.

Totally wrong.

"Muggers" dont just pick people at random in random spots. They will pick the time, the place, the weapon, and the number of friends they have.

Many arts teach various weapons. Canes dont make you look tougher, they make you look handicapped. Carrying any obvious weapon will make you look weird to most people. Learn to use your eyes and ears, then your legs as in RUN, then worry about how your going to fight and what weapons you might have on you concealed (belts, knives, small sticks, keys, etc...)

:eek:

Samurai Jack
05-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Many aikido styles train with the jo(4' staff). You also might look into jodo, an art specializing in the use of a stick that matches the dimensions of a walking stick.

LEGEND
05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
I agree with a ROGUE...use it like a baseball bat. Save u the time and money of lessons.

Kristoffer
05-12-2003, 10:02 AM
If someone wants to they could kill you. If someone wants to they WILL take your possesions. You worry about knifes? You should worry about my 40 friends over there and their GUNS.

aedolon
05-30-2003, 01:39 PM
That reminds me, my wushu sifu has taught us some VERY nice umbrella techniques... Most of them can be applied to a normal hooked walking stick. You just cant suspect a guy with umbrella and a great hat :D