PDA

View Full Version : Gene, Help!

Shaolindynasty
05-29-2001, 07:09 PM
I am new to teaching kungfu classes and was wondering what the enrollment was like in you guys schools. I live in the midwest (near Chicago) which is kind of behind in terms of kungfu, wushu, qigong etc. I personally think that my teachers class has a low enrollment (we can't even pay rent on a school so we teach at the local park district). I would just like some tips on how to boost enrollment and what the numbers are like in your classes. :confused:

Witness the Dynasty!!!

GeneChing
05-29-2001, 07:42 PM
That's an odd question. You know, my 1st trip to Beijing I saw this master who trained his students in the parking lot of our hotel. He just walked up, hung a small school banner and taught. It changed my view of what a school should be.
Obviously you have to make rent or you should teach in the park. There is more kungfu going on in the parks of this world than anywhere and I think that's great. So don't be attached to a building.
But to answer your question directly, the class I lead is about 30-45 people. It's the largest class in our school, 4 to 10x the size of all the others. I don't know what the kids are at now. There is also morning class, taiji and southern style classes. To be honest, I only know what is happening in my class. And rent in our area is astronomical. Without the mail order company, that school would have to downsize considerably.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Shaolindynasty
05-29-2001, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info! I know the question may sound a little strange and it's true that the size of the class isn't important(the students we have now are more dedicated and eager to learn than in some of the large Tae Kwon Do schools in our area). I guess the reason I asked is because I was curious to see if I was the only one straining to make ends meet. I also figured if anyone could give me tips on how to survive finacially it would be someone associated with Lam Kwoon. You guys are doing great! I am also hoping to use a mail order business to promote and finance my Shaolin Kungfu classes. I also am an artist besides a kungfu teacher and put my art on t-shirts (useing a paint process my art's colors are too complicated for screen printing I was told)and sell them(the art is like super hero looking monks) and all the money I make I put back into my clssses. In a bussiness sense you guys at Lam Kwoon are like idols to me. Hey I just had a thought if you guys would be interested in selling my products? I could send you a sample shirt, Email me if you're interested. ( I'm not trying to make a sales pitch or anything just saw an opportunity and thought I'd take it).

Witness the Dynasty!!!