PDA

View Full Version : kungfu vs. thai kickboxing

GreyFox81
03-22-2003, 05:25 AM
has anyone who studies kungfu fare well against someone who trains thai kickboxing.

sticky fingers
03-22-2003, 05:45 AM
yes.

sticky fingers
03-22-2003, 05:47 AM
no.

Vapour
03-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Thai kickboxer train harder and compete in environment far harsher than anything normal kungfu practioners ever going to perticipate.

jon
03-22-2003, 06:10 AM
I have a good friend who was once nationaly ranked in Thailand, he also is very proficiant with the traditional Thai boxing as well as the competion stuff.

I handle fairly well but there are some funny things which seem to always happen. I wont pull any punches about this and i hope it doesnt sound silly - just what happens when we spar.

Inclose and directly infront he is an absolute menace, vicious combination of very powerfull knee's elbows and even a fair wack of basic throwing techinques.

However his focuss is ring fighting and we are often both ammused at how different things are when we remove some of rules - then again some things never change(Those horrible f*ckin knees). Eg without gloves i can give him a nasty time by tying up his arms and striking in between the gaps - put the gloves on and i cant do it anything like as proficiantly. I also tend to fare a 'little' better in terms of body shots.

In short terms he is better in gloves and infront, i am better at hitting though the side gates and getting his back.

Some of the things i thought really should work didnt, example trying to trap or check his kicks is next to useless thanks to his insane shin conditioning.
Getting in very close and trying to cramp him was also next to useless thanks to some ammazingly good clinch work and basic hip throwing.

On the flip side he is not trained in dealing with someone trying to take his back and has a nasty time following my footwork and the angles i tend to attack from.

I actualy *really* enjoy sparring with my Thai boxing friend, he is a superb technician and is extrodinarly good at filling gaps, if you drop your gaurd for even a split second you can gaurantee he will exploit it.
He is also a great guy and darn funny to spar with, he likes being a larakin and never takes things overly seriously. He also simply loves to scrap and is always willing to share. We frequently discuss differences and often try to give each other little tipbits about what we are doing.

So yeah i have no real 'problems' sparring against Thai boxing, having said that i have enormous respect for the style and would honestly say that the 'average' Thai boxer is simply far bettter trained than the average CMA fighter

omarthefish
03-22-2003, 08:47 AM
They do it all the time.

It's called Sanda.

count
03-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Never get tired of posting this! (http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/P1010043small.jpg) 6 consecutive world titles in Bankok, in 3 different weight classes. And you'll love this omarthefish, He did it with Baji.:cool:

DragonzRage
03-22-2003, 02:50 PM
As a Muay Thai guy I have to say that I've never had any trouble sparring with kung fu guys. Sanda is a different story, but there's no way in hell you can lump Sanda fighters together with the "traditional" kung fu crowd. Although I'm sure certain things in traditional kung fu can apply in Sanda, the basis of Sanda is conceived from kickboxing and chinese wrestling.
BTW, can anyone who follows professional Muay Thai in Thailand verify that Rafael Matute guy? I heard of him from that Crane69 guy's webpage and became interested. But I haven't been able to find any legitimate high level Muay Thai record for him outside of his own claims. If he won consecutive world championships in Bangkok, I assume that I would've at least heard his name or known who he's fought (assuming that he fought on the high level). It seems fishy to me, although I could be wrong. I don't follow Thailand very closely. A lot of people I've talked to haven't heard of him either though. All I have to go on is Crane69's articles about him and his school's website.

Khun Kao Charuad
03-22-2003, 05:23 PM
I have taken my Muay Thai fighters to participate in Sifu David Ross' events in NYC, and his fighters do very well against Muay Thai fighters, San Shou *or* Muay Thai rules!

Khun Kao

Brad
03-22-2003, 07:08 PM
kungfu vs. thai kickboxing
has anyone who studies kungfu fare well against someone who trains thai kickboxing.
I've heard of a couple kf guys who've done well against Thai Kickboxing, that Baji guy(I don't know the story to that either) and there was a Northern Shaolin guy a long time ago who had some sucess. Of course there's also the Chinese San Da guys. Really though, in general, most kf guys don't train hard enough to do well in those kind of competitions.

MonkeySlap Too
03-22-2003, 11:01 PM
The real issue here is that if you go to most Thai Boxing gyms, you'll find a decent gym and learn readily applicable skils. This is only true of a handful of CMA schools. Even good CMAers who really know how to train people to fight, often don't do it. There is also a ton of cultural garbage and secrecy that gets caught up in CMA. While I am a fan of not teaching morons, I think if us CMA types were more open, it would help our art.

I also agree most CMA systems don't fare well with boxing gloves on - which is why you see boxing handwork in San Shou.

Jabb
03-23-2003, 12:34 AM
In Choy Lee Fut we train for sanda and my Sihing said, that most of the basic clf techniques can be aplied in sanda/kickboxing.

Sho
03-23-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Brad
and there was a Northern Shaolin guy a long time ago who had some sucess.Lai Hung? He did Bak Siu Lam, Choy Lay Fut and integrated some western boxing to his arsenal. I don't know how many fights he fought in Thailand, but he got knocked out once - and lost. Though he did pretty well in other full contact competitions in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia - defeating many kickboxers, I hear.

Banjo
03-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by DragonzRage
Although I'm sure certain things in traditional kung fu can apply in Sanda, the basis of Sanda is conceived from kickboxing and chinese wrestling.

Sanda uses many strikes not used in Muaythai! Its not just Muaythai with throws!

TzuChan
03-23-2003, 09:08 AM
**** dude, download some videos from the net from Sanda/Sanshou or something. If you train in Wudang Tai Chi Chuan, Dan Docherty style stuff, then most probably Sanshou is a part of your practice, and I believe that a good Sanda fighter > a good Tai fighter. Should see the throws these guys pull off when you expect it the least =/ And don't tell me Kungfu stands for p*ssie art, it just depends on your teacher, if you have one that never teaches you how to react to pain, then you're pretty much p00ped, but if you are one of the lucky people who have a descent trainer, then you'll stand your ground against a Kickboxer, Tai etc... People keep saying and repeating this lame 'Thai learn to deal with pain blabla, kungfu never, them puss boys blabla' I mean jeez, get out there and find another school then, I assure you that they aren't all like that.

TzuChan
03-23-2003, 09:10 AM
here, check out this movie, sanshou style ^^

http://www.onthemat.com/Images/u_children/bout_highlights01.mov

This is a great fight btw =)