PDA

View Full Version : Rare Shaolin

Shaolindynasty
05-30-2001, 05:48 AM
The style of kung fu I study is rare(I have never seen anyone outside of my Sifu's lineage who knows it). My sifu's teacher learned it in Taiwan and my Sifu learned it in Belo Horizonte Brazil. The Brazilians call it Shaolin Tchuin Kungfu. They weren't sure about the spelling of the translation but tried to sound it out and spell it in portugese. It is supposed to mean basic, or junior. I translated it into Manderian Chinese as Shaolin Chu Chuan. It is from Fukien originally. I would like to know if any one else out there studies a style of Shaolin with an unsure lineage or translation problems and also what other rare styles of Shaolin are out there that you guys are studing.

Witness the Dynasty!!!

The Willow Sword
05-30-2001, 06:17 AM
My shoalin training is of fukien origins as well.
yeah there are soooo many "shaolin" styles out there that i have no idea whats what anymore. it sounds like you have a unique thing going with your branch of it. i wonder if what you are learning is a modified or even a formaly taught version of the original shaolin 108 steps. these were believed to be the original steps invented in the temple. the tan tui or ,springy step movements are renditions of those 108 steps. they are as i understand them to be very karate like,,basic foundation steps to introduce you to the other myriad of forms that utilize these basic steps......let me know what the steps you are learning are like,,,,,,,,

Shaolindynasty
05-30-2001, 06:48 AM
You sound like you hit the mark with your discription. Yes our style is kind of "karate like" in the begining levels and branch to include the basics in many other forms it is kind of like a tree. In our style there is seperate forms for training and for sparring. The training forms on the higher levels look kind of like a mixture of Choy li fut and Northern Shaolin. I am not sure what 108 steps is. Is that a form? It was a temple style that is highly combative ( I think it may have been used by a group of the Anti Ching movementthis is just a guess though). I would like to know more about this style you're talking about! :eek:

Witness the Dynasty!!!

The Willow Sword
05-30-2001, 07:00 AM
these steps are individual onestep and two step movements. like "block up, punch",,and so forth.the move ments were linear. each step enhanced on the last, some of them repeated themselves but with slightly different variations. it was like a training excersise for the basic stances and punching and shaolin style blocking. these steps were done in the lowest possible stance, and sometimes in the training they would be required to hold these steps for an indefinate period of time(in the lowest possible stance) verybasic but very much needed to continue on with the rest of the curriculum,,,,our school modified the steps to 30 basic ones instead of 108(reason being that the steps repeated themselves) everything has been modified these days with respect to shaolin kung-fu,,,,,when they are able to invent time travel i am goin back to the temple's peak operations and findin out for myself,,until then i have to go on what i have been taught as the traditional ways.

Shaolindynasty
05-30-2001, 06:06 PM
What you are descibing sounds like our sparring forms. Our sets contain "sequences" in them that are usually repeated on both sides. What kind of movements are in 108 step? Our movements have a wide range. In the early stages thay are mostly mid to long range and there is a side kick- spin kick combo that seems to be the signature move. We also emphasize very low bases (but this could just be a kungfu thing). Our style could be very possibly a modified version of 108 step. My sifu's teacher learned it in a Buddhist temple (not sure the name)in Taiwan in I think the 70's. He also learned Bagua, Taichi, light body skills, Iron palm and alot of qigong all of which he did not teach to anyone. My sifu always tells me stories about how his sifu would tell him that in the temple our style was better than the "classic" Shaolin styles reffering to Lohan etc. The way he said this means that what he learned was some kind of modified art. I don't think the modified version was created all that recent though. My sigung's first teacher was pretty old already (dont know for sure his age or name but seen picture of him) and he taught my sigung who lived next door to him as a boy in Brazil the same art. Is there a website or videos or books or something where I can find out more about 108 step?

Witness the Dynasty!!!

The Willow Sword
05-30-2001, 08:25 PM
YES THERE IS A BOOK THAT OUTLINES THE 108 STEPS ,,BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I DO NOT KNOW THE AUTHORS NAME,,BUT THE BOOK IS CALLED THE SHAOLIN 108 STEPS. IT IS AN OLDER BOOK BUT I WILL TRY TO LOCATE THIS BOOK AT THE BARNES AND NOBLE OR BORDERS BOOK STORE HERE IN ALBUQUERQUE. FOR I AM INTERESTED IN AQUIREING THIS BOOK AS WELL,,,I HAVE SEEN THE BOOK BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS IN PRINT ANYMORE. WELL IT SEEMS WE HAVE A COMMON LINEAGE HERE BETWEEN US. IN MY STUDIES I HAVE PREFERRED THE SOUTHERN WAY. IT SEEMS MORE LIKE FIGHTING AND COMBAT INSTEAD OF THIS LONG FIST WHICH IN MY OPINION "OPENS UP THE DOORS" OF ATTACK. IL GET BACK TO YOU SOON,,KEEP THIS TOPIC GOIN...........MANY RESPECTS ,,,,WILLOW SWORD

The Willow Sword
05-30-2001, 08:52 PM
Allright shaolin dynasty here it is ,,unforunatelt there is only one copy of this book left in the Barnes and Noble book search.
the book is called "The 108 movements of the shaolin "wooden men hall" by winnie cheung. it is in two vloumes and it is priced at 55.10 for both volumes (sold as a set) you are very lucky in that if i had the 55 bucks to spend on this classic it would be mine and i would be mailing you xerox copies of it,,,,,but i leave it to you to buy if you want and you can send me the xerox copies hahahaaa,,,well there it i....i hope you get it.....my e-mail is whirlwindshield@aol.com if you wish ti converse more. many respects, the willow sword :D

Radhnoti
05-30-2001, 11:13 PM
My style teaches what we call "short forms" and "sparring techniques" as well. I believe there are 30 short forms, not sure how many sparring techniques but I currently know 15. We also practice the forms on both sides. One of the forms is a high front facing roundhouse spinning into a side/rear kick...followed by a few more punches etc.
Just thought the similarities were interesting.
Your first short form wouldn't be "punch/block temple from right forward bow stance, block down" would it? Now THAT would be interesting.

-Radhnoti

shaolin_knight
05-31-2001, 08:52 AM
Don't pay $55 for these books. You can get them from online stores that deal with martial arts for a lot cheaper. For example, www.wle.com (http://www.wle.com) has both volumes for $10.95. And I've seen these two volumes go for as little as 7.95. Look around. Try martialartssupermarket.com they got it for cheap i think.

Shaolindynasty
05-31-2001, 07:24 PM
Willow sword- Yeah I have also seen this book elsewhere for alot less money. I'll be sure to stay in contact so we can further disscuss this. If possible we should send each other videos of the techniques in our styles so we can make a better comparison. I am going to order that book (somewhere else though)!

Radhnoti- That does sound interesting do you know your lineage or is it "lost" also? Also you live in KY? Would it be possible for you and other members of your school to make to our training camp in September? There is more information about the camp on www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com) Group discounts are available to email me if you're interseted! It would be great to make the style comparisons!

Witness the Dynasty!!!
www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com)

The Willow Sword
05-31-2001, 10:13 PM
WHOA THE BOOK IS CHEAPER ELSEWHERE?,,MAN IM GOING,,BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED THOSE BOOKS. WELL COOL,,,,TAKE CARE AND I WILL CONTINUE TO POST. :D

SanHeChuan
06-03-2001, 01:55 AM
Radhnoti you take the same style as The Willow Sword. Duh!

===============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

"Kung Fu begins with the conquering of the opponent and ends with the conquering of the self."

Radhnoti
06-03-2001, 04:28 AM
Shaolindynasty, I study Shaolin-Do. Not sure about whether my instructor would be interested in attending any training camps...we're a new school. What sort of experience would an attendee have to possess?
SanHeChuan, I don't know what The Willow Sword studies. My comparison was with the style practiced by Shaolindynasty...sparring forms, both sides, etc. The Willow Sword never went into any detail on his training. What's with the mad face? :confused:

-Radhnoti

Shaolindynasty
06-03-2001, 06:53 PM
You only need 1 year of experience to attend the camp. The cost is $100 for 2 days with 6 hours of instruction a day, I will also be available for questions after this too. Group discounts are available for groups of 4 or more. With the group discounts it would come to $75 a person if you have over 6 it will come to $60 per person. Food is included. There is more information on our site at www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com) . It would complement your training, a fighting set, staff set and qigong will be covered. This are all things you can learn without it interfering with what you already practice regardless of style. If you are interested call to make reservations the camp is limited to 15 participants and if you wait too long you may not be able to attend. I'll look forward to hearing from you

Witness the Dynasty!!!

MonkeySlap Too
06-06-2001, 08:47 PM
No, that is just not true.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Shaolindynasty
06-06-2001, 11:03 PM
If they are I have seen lots of that and it really is not like karate. Is 108 steps a form of Tan Tuy?

Witness the Dynasty!!!