PDA

View Full Version : When it's "that time of the month..." for women

PHILBERT
03-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Weird question, but does anyone know of any techniques you can use to relieve pain on women when they are having there monthly cycle? Thanks.

Vapour
03-22-2003, 02:11 PM
The British Medical Associateion, "New Family Doctor Home Adviser"

page 263

Self-Help, Coping with painful periods

* Take over-the-counter painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, are usually more effective than paracetamol.
*Hold a covered hot-water bottle against your abdomen or lower back
*Try relaxing in a hot bath.
*Take some exercise, which will often help to relieve the pain

Vapour
03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
On the last account of doing exercise, I'm just reading Yoga book on mensutruation. According to this "strenuous postures such as standing and inverted poses, and vigorous extensions in any poses, should be avoided".

I'm not sure taijichuan or qigong come under the category of strenuous exercises. So probably the safer bet is doing gentle sitting or lying yoga poses.

Here is a link

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/130_1.cfm

prana
03-22-2003, 06:16 PM
during the time of the month, yoga practitioners are not encouraged to place their mind at their lower centers. This includes breath retentions and mind placing exercise like qi-gong-or postural exercise that push energy to those centers.

Sex is also discouraged during those times.

PHILBERT
03-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah I know the Yoga thing, my Yoga instructor told me this. I was wondering more of a TCM standpoint, massage a certin part of the body such as the knee or hand, etc. Like how when you rub the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger it relieves a headache.

prana
03-23-2003, 03:28 AM
there is a point in the soles of the feet you can massage, and although it seems to work quite well, I dont know too much about it.

Perhaps someone with experience in foot massage ?

Repulsive Monkey
03-23-2003, 06:25 AM
Find a point called TaiChong "Great surge". Its on the liver channel and can be located towards the ankle between the tarsal bones of the big toe and second toe. Massage it gently in a counter clockwise direction and this alleviate the pain experienced by the Liver qi stagnation which creates PMS/T every month for most women.

Vapour
03-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Google search on shiatsu and menstruation. Sorry if this doesn't help.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=shiatsu+menstruation&spell=1

Repulsive Monkey
03-23-2003, 03:00 PM
You've missed out the classic and most effective point on the whole body for period pains.....Sp8 is a Xi-cleft point which is specific for period pains.

There's a few points you've mentioned there Guohen which won't do a single thing for period pains, why K11, Du4, and G1 (I'm assuming you mean Governor 1!?), thats only used for prolapses and Haemerroids, surely?!

Plus why would you want to stimulate St36 and Sp 6 and UB 20 to help blood production whilst she's still bleeding in her period?? Surely these points ought to wait afterwards until you can safely nourish the blood when theres no chance of losing it?!

PHILBERT
03-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Hear that? Its the sound of crickets making music. Whats that mean? You lost me. Ok, Im gonna post a picture that I found on my PC of a guy front/back view, if you'd like, can you please put little orange X or something on him so I know what to look for. Tossing out random numbers is...well...beyond me. It's Greek to me, Im ignorant on it. Like a teacher talking about medical stuff. I'll try to find a picture of a foot too. Thank you.

PHILBERT
03-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Here is a picture of a foot...

PHILBERT
03-23-2003, 10:33 PM
And the bottom of the foot...

PHILBERT
03-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Bump...

PHILBERT
03-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Scratch that, I bought a book today on TCM and in it they list the different points that you guys mentioned, so I can find them much more easily. Thanks for naming the points though, now I can compare them.