PDA

View Full Version : Good BJJ/grappling instructional videos?

phoenix-eye
03-22-2003, 04:33 PM
I know its sacrilege coming from a CMA man but are what are the best BJJ or grappling videos to get? I just want the basics as I have no access to formal instruction and just want to do some informal practice with a few mates. Just going over basic guard, mount, escapes, chokes etc.

I've seen some sets of 3 that look OK - Egan Inoue etc.

What does everyone recommend?

Thanks

PE

TzuChan
03-23-2003, 03:39 AM
Bas Rutten has some cool instructional tapes, they involve locks mostly, head locks/leg locks. gives you an idea of what NOT to do in a fight =)

'MegaPoint
03-23-2003, 04:27 AM
The "Gracie Self-Defense" tape is a good combo of basic positions, throws, submissions, disarms and standup (some striking) techniques. This is basically the Gracie Academy's private lessons curriculum. Helio Gracie, along with the newest Gracie BBs, Renner and Ryron (sons of Rorion), are the featured artists. It is so cool to see Helio Gracie doing the techniques with such efficacy and fluidity at the young age of 90! It's definitely worth the price.

All BJJ is Gracie JJ! Bas Rutten is a Muay Thai/Kickboxer. His understanding of grappling is satisfactory, but he is no Gracie!!!

Dark Knight
03-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Check out Tony Lopexes Sambo tapes. Its a good series if you dont have a grappling background. Get the leg locks, arm locks and the combination tape. He does an exersize that is like a form, it will teach you how to move from lock to lock.

Panther Productions carries them.

For a great instructional book, buy the fighters notebook over at www.mma.tv

Budokan
03-28-2003, 05:20 AM
I think the problem here is you're looking for "good" Bjj/grappling videos.:D

(just kidding, wrasslers!)

LEGEND
03-28-2003, 09:01 PM
Mario Sperry Vale Tudo 1.

pseudoswitch
03-31-2003, 10:01 AM
I've heard Erik Paulson's tapes are very good, although his style is combat submission wrestling, he has studied bjj extensively and has probably incorporated a fair number of techniques into his style. check out his site: http://www.erikpaulson.com

Ultimatewingchun
04-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Check out Tony Cecchine's tapes on catch-as-catch-can wrestling...he's awesome. His website address is:

www.catchwrestling.com

KAJUKENBO_MAN
04-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Marco Lala has a bunch of tapes on Ju Jitsu that are cheap and cover a lot of material. Check out the page at http://www.fightingsecrets.com

JKogas
04-27-2003, 05:59 AM
Purchase Matt Thornton's Functional JKD series on the ground and you'll have all the info you need for BJJ uses in the street.

www.straightblastgym.com

HuangKaiVun
04-27-2003, 09:24 PM
It is NOT sacrilege to seek nonCMA stuff to augment one's fighting skill.

Fighting is fighting.

My friend (a BJJ stylist) gave me a Vale Tudo video featuring one of the UFC winners. Forgot his name, though.

It was practical Brazilian streetfighting, mostly power and leverage based.

I liked the video because a lot of the moves were the same as the ones we do to each other in our kung fu class.

JKogas
05-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Erik Paulson's CSW seminar series is great to have! Doesn't cost much and he PACKS the videos with info! A definite bargain!

-John

SevenStar
05-13-2003, 01:03 AM
the championship ne-waza series by Mike Swain

phoenix-eye
05-23-2003, 02:55 PM
What are Erik Paulson's "Best Defense" tapes like? Any good?

I can get these in the UK for a good price.

Cheers
PE

Dark Knight
05-24-2003, 08:53 AM
I just got Matt Thortons tapes on Funtional JKD. They are excellent tapes on street effectivness of bJJ. Its more than an instructional of moves. Its a training method. Highly reccomend.

sweaty_dog
05-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Mario Sperry's is pretty good. It's worth it just to see the expression on his face when Murilo puts the submissions on. Also, Renzo Gracie's is not bad. I've heard Frank Shamrock's is good but haven't seen it. For takedowns Darryl Gholar is putting out a tape soon which should be good.

http://members.aol.com/BJJ33/billmain.htm

That's a review site. Not much NHB stuff though, mostly just BJJ.

Kempo Guy
06-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Mario Sperry's tapes, Tony Cecchine's series on catch, Roy Harris' BJJ101 tape, Matt Thornton's series (including the one on aliveness), Chris Haueter's series (available at Matt Thornton's website) Scott Sonnon's "Arthrokinetics" and "Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force" tapes are all great (although the last two series are more about principles than actual techniques).

Good luck with training.
KG

Dark Knight
06-04-2003, 06:04 AM
I love Tony Cecchine's tapes. They are soo worth buying.

KingMonkey
06-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Have any of you tried Tony Cecchines conditionning videos ?