PDA

View Full Version : Going to class drunk

IronFist
03-22-2003, 06:05 PM
I'd say there's a good chance that if you get in a fight it will be at a bar, especially if you're in college. So, would it make sense to practice fighting while under the influence? I don't mean like totally plowed, but I'm talking about with a buzz going. Maybe like one person could arrage to get buzzed for class so they could see how it's different to fight while drunk. Only one person per class, though, for obvious reasons.

What do you think? If done controlled do you think it could work?

IronFist

GLW
03-22-2003, 06:25 PM
The better lesson would be to learn NOT to go get drunk and get into trouble.

Laughing Cow
03-22-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't think it is a good idea.

ZIM
03-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Its been done. Look up Count Dante on google.

He had a whole bar set up and the guys would be smokin' and drinkin', then POW! Fun lovin' criminals, the lot...

Kinjit
03-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I dont buy into this "dont get drunk" crap - just because we are martial artists doesn't mean we have to be valium nibbling zen-monks all the time. Well, if you are the kind of person who gets agressive while under the influence, then I'd agree. But for the rest of us being drunk is a (relatively) safe and often quite enjoyable activity. As for training, I think its better suited for doing solo work. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2003, 08:25 PM
just see if your teacher and some of the guys want to get drunk after class. being at class what are you naturally gonna do?

or if the teach dont like it get togeather with some guys on the weekend to drink and train.

David Jamieson
03-22-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't think training and drinking mix.

I do think that one can drink moderately and be able to hold their liquor enough to still have ability to apply skill if challenged to do so.

Otherwise there is no advantage to training while buzzed.

cheers

Oso
03-23-2003, 06:02 AM
I, too, think it can be a valuable experiment under controlled conditions.

Tainan Mantis
03-23-2003, 06:34 AM
I went to Taipei one Sunday morning to watch a famous teacher.
His students did horse stances, kicks and other basic exercisies while he sat on the side drinking Taiwan beer(In the morning!).

After crunching his third can he started jumping around with excellent coordination on his kung fu.
Looked like a Mainland wushu guy.

Ironically he was dressed somewhat like a monk with shaven head.

FatherDog
03-23-2003, 10:01 AM
It might not be that bad an idea to try training on your own drunk. See how different it is to be hitting the heavy bag, or a double end bag, while drunk, try to do footwork drills, etc.

Being drunk in class, however, could cause you to be a danger to your training partners, and that's not a good thing.

GLW
03-23-2003, 11:21 AM
First, the person that posted this thread already has his desire to do so...

In that case, what does it matter what others may say.

Second, the reason to post such a question is that deep down the person sees the lack of alignment with principles and wants to rationalise their choice.

The same type of posts on "Is it OK to smoke dope and practice,...Is it OK to smoke cigarettes and practice...etc..."

You CAN fight in many conditions. If that is all you want to do, go to bars and gt into fights. You will either emerge as one very good fighter or dead. It is quite simple.

To learn to fight is to learn to control yourself and then others. Getting drunk is hopefully a mistake of youth. After a certain age, not that many people go out for getting drunk.

Mixing drinking with physical things that require the MIND is not too good. It goes for Martial Arts, driving, Motorcycles, and opening one's mouth in a club.

Those that state the idea of not getting drunk being crap do so because they WANT to get drunk if they choose.

Fine...do so...but there is no way you can slice it that will make it a healthy thing to be doing. Accept that and move on. It is, after all, your choice to live as you will. Take responsibility for that and move on.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Geez, who asked you for the lecture, GLW? That's a pretty big assumption you're making about Ironfist.

Chang Style Novice
03-23-2003, 05:23 PM
I have, on occassion, been treated to a shot before class by my sifu. Is it any wonder I love my school?

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-23-2003, 11:04 PM
"See how different it is to be hitting the heavy bag"

you dont hit as hard. i always felt like i could hit harder cause i was more relaxed, but i tested this out and its definatley the opposite. me and a couple buddies used to get togeather evey sunday in my basement.... drinking would often follow training. my punches were noticably weaker ... id say like 80% of their full power after just 4 beers. we'd always mess around when drunk too, but quickly learned not to fu ck with the bokins *rubs knuckles*.

also last night my buddy started picking on me while we were both drunk. i don't do contact with this kid so i kinda felt bad when i jacked him square in the jaw. i gave him a free shot, which he took, so i dont feel bad anymore.

bob10
03-24-2003, 03:01 AM
You don't have to have a drink, try simulating drunkenss instead. Before any of your application work or sparring, drill yourself to a point of near exhaustion, then have someone spin you round a dozen times, then have them push you towards your training buddies....