PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Wolf?

nickle
05-31-2001, 12:30 AM
Go to www.shaolinwolf.com (http://www.shaolinwolf.com)

are these guys for real? is this wushu or what?

anyone know anything about shi yan ming?

-specialization is for ants-

The Willow Sword
05-31-2001, 12:53 AM
ming is well known,,,ive seen him on TV doing a demo with his students,,,,,he is a defecter from china and claims to be a true shaolin monk...from what i have seen it "looks" solid enough,,but hey what do i know,,i am just another penny in the buddha's bowl,,haha

Internal Flow
05-31-2001, 08:59 AM
:D No!

All things return to it as to their home, but it does not lord it over them.
Thus it may be called "The Great"

Abstract
06-06-2001, 10:08 PM
WHY does everyone either DISS THE CRAP outta Shi Yan Ming or say they love him??? He seems legit to me...I've been by his school on broadway, never went in though..i practice wing chun...but still-ANYONE here practice with him? If I lived in Manhattan I would definitely consider going there...does anybody have FACTS bout this guy? :confused:

Shaolindynasty
06-06-2001, 11:09 PM
Was that Yan Mings new site or a students or did somebody just steal all the stuff from his site?

Witness the Dynasty!!!
www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com)

inpho
06-24-2001, 07:14 AM
That's a site made by one of Yan-Ming's students and I assure you, reguardless of your opinion of Shaolin or your personal bias towards Yan-Ming the school is hardcore.

A lot of the USA Shaolin Temple's students hang out on the forums of russbo.com I suggest you take up any pettyness with them. :D

Shaolindynasty
06-24-2001, 04:23 PM
I assure you I have nothing but the highest respect for Yan Ming and all his students. I think he has some of the greatest Kungfu I have ever seen. I was just wondering what the deal with the site was. I figured it was etheir his students(it was) or somebody stole all Shi Yan Mings stuff from his site(didn't happen). Thanks for clearing this up inpho.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

inpho
06-25-2001, 02:23 AM
Shaolindynasty, I've been reading your posts lately and certainly meant no disrespect. It seems though that people generally distrust the Shaolin monks these days so I took a hostile tone, it seriously wasn't directed at you. :D

Shaolindynasty
06-25-2001, 03:19 PM
I hate it when people diss Shaolin. Even though I have never personally trained with a Shaolin monk I have seen their(and students from Shaolin Village) abilities. They have excellent Kungfu. I am hping to train there one day unfortunatly I don't have the money to travel that far at the moment. I used to get very hostile when people dissed Shaolin to but I am realising that it is mostly cowards who won't say it to the monks faces and just want to get a rise out of people. The only time I try to disscuss the (controversy) is if someone has a legitimate question I can answer but that is not very often since I have never been there. Besides Gene usually does a good job of putting those Shaolin haters in their place.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

mortal
08-12-2001, 11:05 PM
I'm very for real and in those pictures. Where is your site "potbellyedsifu.com.

Amitabha Anthony

inpho
08-13-2001, 04:14 PM
Well that was uncalled for, it's a shame Yan Ming didn't teach you some manners.

mortal
08-13-2001, 07:35 PM
Teach me manners! Ha! Why didn't you say that about the first post in this thread. I happen to think the shaolinwolf site has some of the better kung fu pics I have seen on the web. Instead people try to abuse it. Whatever.

Radhnoti
08-13-2001, 08:07 PM
Just to clarify. You're upset because nickle asked if you practiced wushu? Seems a legitimate question from someone actually seeking an answer to me...
:confused:

"That government is best which governs least." -- HENRY DAVID THOREAU

mortal
08-13-2001, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah its all wushu! I might as well admit it. I wish I could learn traditional at some bull**** school in the midwest.
I can't beleive the time wasted on this traditional/wushu line it just never ends.

Radhnoti
08-13-2001, 08:42 PM
Look, friend, I don't think anyone called it wushu or traditional. One guy asked about it, that's all that happened that I've picked up on. Cool that you want to defend your school, but I don't think anyone attacked it.

mortal
08-13-2001, 09:00 PM
Whenever it is implyed that my school is "just wushu" I find it highly insulting. How would you like someone asking you if your kung fu was for real? I have been reading posts like that without responding for a long time.

inpho
08-13-2001, 09:03 PM
Mortal, I didn't comment on the first post because it was an honest question and not at all disrespecfull. How about you calm down before you sully your Sifu's reputation any more.

mortal
08-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Are you for real?

shaolinboxer
08-13-2001, 09:15 PM
I would say that Yan Ming's school does have a wushu curriculum.

I don't know if i'd describe it as "just wushu" since I think wushu is a great art if practiced in its entirety (including san shou).

Relax, Anthony. Wushu isn't a dirty word. But all of the shots on shaolinwolf are definately identifiable as wushu.

mortal
08-13-2001, 09:23 PM
I know that the underlying implications are that we haven't been taught real fighting. Whats up lyle? Any good roof parties lately? My point still is asking someone if they or their kung fu are for real can get you into some altercations were I come from. That is not a respectful way of asking anything. As a matter of fact if someone asked me that to my face I would take it as a challenge. Why is everyone supporting this guy? Sorry if i'm not into that whole poser enlightened role and didn't give a poltically correct argument but it is like beating a dead horse.

shaolinboxer
08-13-2001, 10:29 PM
I've moved twice since that roof party. We haven't trained together in how long...almost 4 years.

Anyway, the reason why everyone is defending him is, IMO, the fact that at his forum, the question "is this for real?" is common and not generally considered offensive. And Anthony, those ARE pictures of wushu postures and techniques. (they look good by the way!)

Grandstanding and saying "I am very for real"...well I've been practicing martial arts for ten years (going on 11 actually) and I don't think I fall into the "very for real catagory" yet. Lets reserve that for the old timers and the pro fighters.

Radhnoti
08-14-2001, 05:41 AM
"How would you like someone asking you if your kung fu was for real? "
LOL, boy, that'd be terrible. ;)
Welcome to the forum.

inpho
08-15-2001, 03:51 AM
mortal, just calm down. you know shi yan ming is the real thing, you know what you're learning better than we do. just be confidant but not arrogant. train harder you know? what we say doesn't effect your kung fu in any way.

ELFdisciple
08-15-2001, 02:16 PM
If I had a penny everytime someone asked me if my KF was real, I could have opened my own school by now. My art claims a lineage back to 960AD, people look at me in confusion. Like, "How can you come from that far back?" And, "Your art can't be real, you MUST be fake!" I hear it all the time, after a while you just stop listening because it doesn't matter anymore.

ELFdisciple

Lineage holder and direct disciple to the 37th Patriarch of Emperor's Long-Fist

Practitioner of:
Internal Iron Palm
Genki Ryu Do Karate
White Crane and Spirit Dragon SCA combat

shaolinboxer
08-15-2001, 05:29 PM
"Let people judge you, they make excellent mirrors."

mortal
08-15-2001, 08:03 PM
I was very for real before I started "wushu". Lyle the way the question was worded means wushu is not for real. Thusly shaolin and my fellow students who all work so hard aren't "for real". I know guys that never took martial arts and knock people out with one shot anytime somebody starts with them. I didn't join kung fu to be the greatest fighter in the land. The bottom line is people in general need to watch how they say things. If someone asked that to my face it would be a different story believe me.
Sifu also said about getting into fights "sometimes you have to teach them lesson."

shaolinboxer
08-15-2001, 09:31 PM
First, let me explain by what I mean by "very for real": to be highly skilled in and knowledgable about a martial art and it's history, evolution, functions, techniques, applications, philosophy, effects, and goals.

It seems your definition would mean something more like: dedicated, energetic, fascinated...something like that. In other words, fully committed to following a path that will lead to my definition. Am I correct?

But the statement about being for real before joining shaolin...do you mean you were always tough? Well, I don't doubt it, but the half the natives here started training because of big tough guys so don't be surprised if they're a bit snippy ;).

Now a second point I think is interesting your statement: "If someone asked that to my face it would be a different story believe me. Sifu also said about getting into fights "sometimes you have to teach them lesson." "

Is that really the state of mind you are looking to achieve? So that a simple insult leads to needing to act out violently? Do you really want to be that high strung?

I know Yan Ming speaks of action language and I agree, but what is it you are trying to say? That kung fu makes you so weak you have to break somebody's face for poking fun at you? You don't need kung fu to teach you that.

I don't mean these questions as a challange, and I certainly don't mean to judge you, but I asked myself the same questions after I was asked to leave USA Shaolin and found that they were very good for my training overall.

"The bottom line is people in general need to watch how they say things."

How true, my man, how true.

[This message was edited by Lyle on 08-16-01 at 12:57 PM.]

mortal
08-15-2001, 10:11 PM
After reading a thousand postings on how my school isn't real kung fu I answered. Lyle if anyone I thought would understand that instead you are the biggest defender. I am sorry if my ego rubs your ego the wrong way. I don't punch people out everytime they say something disrespectfully. I here things I just laugh. I decided to let the author of that first email that I heard him and he insulted me. Do with it what you want.

shaolinboxer
08-15-2001, 11:01 PM
I guess I did a poor job.

Shaolindynasty
08-16-2001, 05:09 AM
He's mad because on ever board someone is dissing Yan Ming. If you look at the first post on this topic it was a kind of attack it said "is this guy for real? is this wushu or what?" If I was in mortal's shoes I would find this insulting, then when he replies you guys say "Is that what Yan Ming teaches?". Hell that ****ed me off. Shi Yan Ming is one of the best martial artists in USA, alot of people don't understand Chan or Shaolin if they did they wouldn't talk . There was an article in the Shaolin special and at the end Yan Ming said somthing like if someone has a problem go to Shaolin or come to me. So in effect he said if you have something to say he will settle it for you but nobody has the guts they just sit back bash Shi Yan Ming and anything out of modern Shaolin. Jealousy is one of the ugliest things in the world, so go practice and maybe you might begin to understand the begining of what the "actors in robes" have to teach you guys.

(Sorry I get a little upset when people bash Shi Yan Ming, I look up to him.)

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)