PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Heavy bag ?

TzuChan
03-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey, since I'm not ready for kicking a tree yet, I'm looking for something more non-vandamme friendly :D I'm starting a new thread about it, so I don't make that other topic go waaaay off-topic (the one about the nice tai classes/gym). So I have this problem, I can't hang up a heavy bag in the garage, cause we kinda fear that it's gonne ruin the seeling. Now I'm looking for a .. standing heavy bag ? Just something, that I can use on my own, without a partner, to do some really hard kicks on without having to break my leg, and train my punches/low/high kicks etc...

Any advice/links are more then welcome, if you know a specific type/name of equipment pls post and help =)

Thanks

guohuen
03-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Check out, centuryfitness.com , go to boxing, training gear, heavybags, freestanding.

TzuChan
03-23-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=544&prrfnbr=195380&main_cat=660&cgrfnbr=962&catalog=Y

mwoha ! :D
I'll check out my local stores to see if they have something like this, cause this has to be a ***** to order online =)

Neurotic
03-23-2003, 06:33 PM
If you do manage to get your hands on something like this - let me know how it goes.

I'm curious, because I like to work a low roundhouse, and other knee/below knee kicks a fair bit, and that base looks like it would hinder that sort of approach.

I can't seem to find one oneline - but I have seen what is essentially a metal stand with weights at the bottom, that you can hang a bag (and sometimes a speedball too) from.

I would think this is the ideal - as you can have a bag that is long, short, whatever your preference is.

VoidNinja
03-23-2003, 06:40 PM
www.martialartssupplies.com
www.martialartsupply.com
www.allblackbelt.com

these have bags, equipment, and other various MA stuff

coool (check out stickfight http://store.yahoo.com/enjutsukai/stickfight.html)

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 11:23 PM
the tree thing is a joke, right?

Kungfu boy
03-25-2003, 04:45 AM
It had better been a joke 7*. I actually have a guy at my school who wants to start, my theory is he's brain damaged.

TzuChan
03-25-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by TzuChan
Hey, since I'm not ready for kicking a tree yet, I'm looking for something more non-vandamme friendly :D
Of course it was a joke lol, look there's the following things in the same sentence : kicking, tree, vandamme, and then a smiley, I mean :D :D

I was just saying I didn't wanne have any bull**** in this thread, just some known working non hanging bags ;)

the day i start kicking a tree, is the day I start screwing pigs, let's hope that day never ever comes =]

fragbot
03-25-2003, 02:35 PM
If you don't mind paying, I like the free-standing bag made by Aries Fight Gear.

If you're cheap, buy Mike Young's book called "Backyard Training" (or something like that). He has a sweet design for a hitting pole that could be made rather cheaply.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed the companies focused on gear for boxing and kickboxing sell much sturdier gear than, say, Century or AWMA? With the exception of judo gis, gear for martial artists seems shoddily made.

TzuChan
03-25-2003, 03:27 PM
I don't mind paying for it no, I saved up about 300 € atm, I'll look up some info about it. Because as the other fellow said, that big thing, ain't really great for training low kicks, and the broad base is kinda bad for the stance I would use to give a hook, I don't think I could get close enough to the bag, with that big base in my way.

TzuChan
03-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Hey it looks great, smaller base (alot smaller), no water or sand involved .. how the hell does it stand then ? :D Looks good though, you happen to have one of those ? What's you're story ? :)