PDA

View Full Version : So whats your favorite technique?

diego
03-23-2003, 04:32 PM
My 911 threads seem to get alot of hits, so i want to see if im popular here at kfo or if its just the topic.

My favorite technique because i think it's so cool is called a slashkick in the hop gar kung fu style i do. it is a mix of a roundhouse kicks swinging motion but makes contact like a side kick say to the knee, but continues to slash all the way through completeing the swing of the roundhouse kick.

I also really like backknuckle roundhouse punches or inverted-roundhouses...you can use back of the fist or the wrist, and they are thrown like regular western boxings hooks, but they are more slicker ie sneakier in their set-up!....basic purpose of them is to try to knock your opponnents head off...very popular punch in choy lay fut and northern mantis styles!.

Your turn :).

shaolin kungfu
03-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Any kind of throat strike.

diego
03-23-2003, 05:03 PM
You one of those go for the juggular dudes eh!?...Cool!.:)

Royal Dragon
03-23-2003, 05:06 PM
I am prone to stuff that grabs the head, slams it hard into the ground, followed by a full weighted knee drop to the neck. If you don't kill them in the process, they usuall tap out pretty quick.

diego
03-23-2003, 05:22 PM
HAHA, Rd I'm not to good at my takedowns but i can feel why that tactic would be pleasing to you..... you sadist:D Hopgar is suppossed to have many throwing techniques quite similar where you throw him like a top so he lands and dies hitting his head etc...but i'm still basic level training!.

I really like the wing chun tactic were they redirect opponnents faces into the wall...you know the one i'm talking about?...they usually demo it when showcasung bil jee applications in magazines etc.
peace

Another technique i really like is multiple combos with one hand, like claw the face and then rip down...also seen a cool app in kungfu magazine demoing bakmei, buddy claws the face with his left pushing the head back and then slams in with a right uppercut to the throat...very cool setup technique with the left claw!. :cool:

diego
03-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Also MMA's like sevenstar and MerryP i'm curious about your special techniques aswell!!!.:cool:

Chang Style Novice
03-23-2003, 05:30 PM
I like to tie up the hands and arms, then kick their feet out from under them. I liked the look of the crossed armbars from the guard that Frank Benn was showing yesterday, too. And the sweeps from guard.

And using a stiff, flat brush with a highly liquid pigment/turpentine/standoil/liquin solution over a nearly dry layer of black. I'd like to learn more about transparent glazing, though. I recently had the occassion to see one of Gerhard Richter's photorealist pieces in person, and I have no clue how he achieved some of that stuff. The man redefines the term 'bad mofo.'

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Agreed. Richter is da bomb.

Kinjit
03-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you by any chance know where I can find his works online, Ive only been able to find very low-res pics. Thank you.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Dunno. A Google search would probably turn something up, but you gotta see the stuff for real.

Also, if you like Richter, check out Anne Wallace.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:44 PM
A bit about Anne Wallace (http://www.darrenknightgallery.com/biograph/wall_cv.html).

Chang Style Novice
03-23-2003, 05:45 PM
yeah, using the "image" search option on Google has gotten me decent results, but they'll never be better than 70 dpi. You could also look on www.artnet.com and www.askart.com

on a freakier, more whimsical note, ever check out Mark Ryden? www.markryden.com

Thanks for the Anne Wallace hookup, no-legs. I hadn't heard of her before.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:46 PM
And as for photorealism, the master is Richard Estes. Different, like Wallace and Richter are different, but well worth a look. For example... (http://search.famsf.org/4d.acgi$Search?list&=1&=richard&=And&=Yes&=estes&=&=&=Yes&=Yes&=f)

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Sorry Diego, this just became a serious thread-jacking. Remain calm, don't do anything stupid and everything will be ok.

carly
03-23-2003, 05:48 PM
it sounds like your favorite technique is a thai roundhouse to the knee - when did your style add that technique to its repertoire?

Chang Style Novice
03-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Oh, s@#$ yeah, Estes. Solomon Huerta has an interesting angle, too...

okay, enough about photorealism, back to the violence.

Kinjit
03-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I did search google, but as always hard to find anything of value.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:51 PM
*sigh*

OK.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Kinjit
I did search google, but as always hard to find anything of value.

Check out CSN's links. They're good ones.

Kinjit
03-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Kinjit :D and..hmm... Single arm clinch and pump stab in groin and lower belly.

Chang Style Novice
03-23-2003, 05:55 PM
http://ncartmuseum.org/graphics/pics/collections/20th/1950-2000/richter_lrg.jpg

A largish image of a Richter abstract (which I like as much as his photorealism.)

http://www.listasafn.is/safnid/syningar/syningar_2001/gerhard_richter/myndir/betty_380.jpg

A similarly largish image of "Betty" his most famous p-r work.

Okay, NOW back to the violence.

Serpent
03-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
A similarly largish image of "Betty" his most famous p-r work.

I really like his "Family Portrait" one. I think that's what it's called. A family on the beach, like an old b&w photo. Kinda spooky and surreal almost in content, excellent in rendition.

OK, now back to the violence.

Kinjit
03-23-2003, 06:00 PM
under hook armbar +knees

diego
03-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by carly
it sounds like your favorite technique is a thai roundhouse to the knee - when did your style add that technique to its repertoire?

sounds like it eh...but its really a side kick and it can be used when doing a tornadoe kick...instead of doing a inside crescent kick smacking to his head...you just slash along his face if he's bent over. connect below your pinky toe (connecting with the blade of the foot) and wipe down to your heel.
librarys closing does that make sence?.:)

SevenStar
03-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by diego
My 911 threads seem to get alot of hits, so i want to see if im popular here at kfo or if its just the topic.

My favorite technique because i think it's so cool is called a slashkick in the hop gar kung fu style i do. it is a mix of a roundhouse kicks swinging motion but makes contact like a side kick say to the knee, but continues to slash all the way through completeing the swing of the roundhouse kick.

I'm tryna picture that.... when is contact being made? you said like a sidekick, so is the heel hitting the knee as the roundhouse comes through?

SevenStar
03-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by carly

if it hits like a sidekick, that's not a thai roundhouse...

Royal Dragon
03-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Picture a sidekick with a slight arching motion to it. Similar to "Cutting" punch, only it's a kick.

SevenStar
03-23-2003, 07:00 PM
my faves

hiza guruma
kata guruma
triangle cut
the good ole fashioned roundhouse
ippon seionage to ko uchi gari
uchi mata - even though I suck at it
sankaku jime
kimura
tai otoshi
any elbow strike except upwards
straight knee
skip knee

Cheese Dog
03-23-2003, 10:03 PM
:D:D NECK BREAKS!!!:D:D

shaolin kungfu
03-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Titty twister, and the dreaded purple nurple.:D

Serpent
03-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Roshambo.

dezhen2001
03-24-2003, 04:17 AM
i like neck chops and palms to the side of the jaw...

dawood

Merryprankster
03-24-2003, 04:51 AM
When arguing--giving other people enough slack to hang themselves.

Straight grappling--depends. I'm a foot in bicep guard player with the gi on so any triangle-omoplata-sweep type combos are magic.

With no gi I'm more of a top player, and I'll go for leg locks more.

Stand-up with striking, I'm looking for a takedown. I get orthodox fighters with a sweep single to my right. If I wind up inside, I'll hammer with right hooks, while looking for a takedown.

On the ground with striking, pass to half-guard, pound on face--look for opening for a submission, otherwise, keep beating.

FatherDog
03-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Standup grappling: front headlock, lateral lift, ankle pick.

Ground: Stopper toe hold, stepover toe hold, riblock from guard, hip heist to a quarter nelson, top wrist lock.

Oso
03-24-2003, 01:24 PM
mine is a basic outside reap type throw/takedown. I tend to rush and trap the lead hand down and accross the body then hook/punch the head as I reap the near side leg. Optimally I like to catch the opponent just as he starts his move forward, catching him with his weight forward. The objective is to slam the head on the ground and then cover/mount. If they turn to me I try to keep the arms trapped down and punch to the throat or face if the chin is down. If they turn away I will palm the back of the head and/or choke.

I also like a tai chi 'slant flying' type of throw.

my old wrestling takedown of choice was fireman's and I've been surprised to see it part of the repertoire of this jujitsu class I'm taking.

Cheese Dog
03-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Fatherdog--

What the heck is a RIB LOCK? Sounds very interesting!

Chang Style Novice
03-24-2003, 01:43 PM
It's a BBJJ (baby back jiu-jitsu) technique.

shaolin kungfu
03-24-2003, 01:45 PM
i want my baby back baby back baby back baby back.... ribs.

FatherDog
03-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
Fatherdog--

What the heck is a RIB LOCK? Sounds very interesting!

When your opponent is in your guard, move your legs up a little - get him in a "high guard", basically, with the "knuckles" of your knees lined up with his floating ribs. Reach up and around, and clasp your hands behind his back, underneath your crossed ankles. Extend your legs, keeping your ankles crossed, and pull back with your back, keeping your hands locked - this should be the same motion as if you were on a rowing machine. You're using your entire body to compress his floating ribs.

I've tapped some reasonably good players with it even when they knew it was coming, so it's not just a "novelty lock". I like it because if you try it and they counter, you haven't lost position, and it often opens them up for sweeps. Plus, you get a lot of people with it just from surprise value.

diego
03-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog

When your opponent is in your guard, move your legs up a little - get him in a "high guard", basically, with the "knuckles" of your knees lined up with his floating ribs. Reach up and around, and clasp your hands behind his back, underneath your crossed ankles. Extend your legs, keeping your ankles crossed, and pull back with your back, keeping your hands locked - this should be the same motion as if you were on a rowing machine. You're using your entire body to compress his floating ribs.

I've tapped some reasonably good players with it even when they knew it was coming, so it's not just a "novelty lock". I like it because if you try it and they counter, you haven't lost position, and it often opens them up for sweeps. Plus, you get a lot of people with it just from surprise value.

HAHA, i'm kinda flustered with which post to reply to, but besides thinking this thread was a bright idea, the exchange between :D MR.Cheese and Father Dog is what my true hopes for the thread would be....theirs like 3000 forum members so keep posting and u2 may learn about a new technique!.:D

Scattered right now, prolly got some questions about yall tactics in a few
peace:cool:

diego
03-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Picture a sidekick with a slight arching motion to it. Similar to "Cutting" punch, only it's a kick.

You have this kick R?...final point on it...the feeling when you execute it is the same as when you execute a roundhouse...but really in application it is a scraping/stomping side kick....personnaly i havent seen this kick demo''d in the ma publications, only usually see the basic sidekick!?.

is the cutting punch like muhomed alis jab where he shoots it in verticle then once the knuckles contact you cut across-inside in a horizontal hooking punch motion?.

Oso
03-24-2003, 08:33 PM
is the cutting punch like muhomed alis jab where he shoots it in verticle then once the knuckles contact you cut across-inside in a horizontal hooking punch motion

this is how I learned the 'roundhouse' punch in hung gar.

curious.

diego
03-24-2003, 09:02 PM
OSO very curious as i heard about alis punch from a wun hop kuen do video by Al Dacascos.......hm

ali did train with karate masters so who knows...and when you get a hold of them let me know;) :D

diego
03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
hello agian oso...for my better understanding of hungga...my buddy showed me a basic chi kung and i have bucksam kongs tiger crane book and i think the teacher of my hopgar style may have blended/borrowed from hungga?...Can you give me some examples of applications of the hungga hook punch, and how does it differ from how western boxers apply it?.

How would you use it pivoting to a side cat stance, stepping forward into a bowstance, or shuffeling/turning into a sidebow stance?....like what are some basic theoretical applications based on the standard chinese kungfu twoman attack and defend format...he steps into a left weighted bow stance and fires a left punch...you step and pivot with your right foot to the right ending up in a left cat stance all the weight on your right leg and you left outward block around the outside of his elbow and fire a right hook to his temple...:) that type of format.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Oso

my old wrestling takedown of choice was fireman's and I've been surprised to see it part of the repertoire of this jujitsu class I'm taking.

Why did that come as a surprise? judo uses it also, as does CMA (I can see it in the "shoot the bow" technique)

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by diego

HAHA, i'm kinda flustered with which post to reply to, but besides thinking this thread was a bright idea, the exchange between :D MR.Cheese and Father Dog is what my true hopes for the thread would be....theirs like 3000 forum members so keep posting and u2 may learn about a new technique!.:D

Scattered right now, prolly got some questions about yall tactics in a few
peace:cool:

stop bitin kid...:D Didn't you see my ultimate grappling thread? It was along the same lines. There's a lot of good info there too - do a search for it.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:30 PM
from the guard I'm an armbar and triangle guy. I completely and utterly suck no gi, but I try to maintain top position and go for the armbars I'm familiar with. In recent months I've gotten really familiar with the 'S' mount.

Serpent
03-24-2003, 09:44 PM
After big drinking binges, I get kinda familiar with the S bend.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:48 PM
I'm sure you're familiar with bending in general

Serpent
03-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm very flexible... :confused: Is that what you mean?

;)

Oso
03-25-2003, 04:58 AM
I completely and utterly suck no gi,

ok, so maybe I'm a dunce, but 'no gi' is just 'not wearing a gi'
correct??

the gi is where I'm running into problems rolling with judo and jj guys. I don't even think about grabbing the gi.

Mr Punch
03-25-2003, 05:10 AM
Bounce punch from chum kiu to the chest/throat/chin. Preferably the chest. Does no lasting damage, but breaks the rhythm/briefly stuns most people I've tried it on, and it's quick, easy to slip through, and employs easy short-range power.

Aikido's kotegaeshi, straight back and down along the line of the arm and through their centre of balance with a downward elbow to the top of the nose to help it on its way. In fact, I really like that elbow with anything too!

Straight through iriminage/pak and palm heel to the head. If it doesn't put them down, it gives you their back.

Kinda fond of the headbutt but don't get to use it very often... doesn't tend to please your training partners.

BAI HE
03-25-2003, 10:39 AM
My favorites are "Drunken snap kick to scrotum of Yankees Fan"
and "Kick other man in neck"

diego
03-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar

stop bitin kid...:D Didn't you see my ultimate grappling thread? It was along the same lines. There's a lot of good info there too - do a search for it.

post the link!.:cool:

SevenStar
03-25-2003, 09:07 PM
http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=18085

Cheese Dog
03-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info, Fatherdog! :cool: