PDA

View Full Version : OT: ATTN Royal Dragon

Mr Punch
03-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Royal Dragon
Would it be better to focus more money on the development of alternative, sustainable fuel sources so that we no longer have this dependence on oil?

Reply]
YES!, but that is not enough. Oil is used in solvents, lubercants, making plastics, refrigerant's, coolents, and has been integrated it in to our lives SO DEEPLY, that without it, we would revert to a caveman existence in a blink.

Much of our medical tecnology would beome un-functional, because of all the plastics in medical equipment (A syringe is plastic for instance), cars would cease to function without oil to lubercate the engines, transmission, differentials and axials.

Computers would cease to exist without plastics for insulation and the cases not to mention disks, DVD Roms, and floppies.

The refrigerants you use in your house hold refigerator is also derived from oil, and without it, we would not be able to store food, all manufacturing would grind to a hault LITERALLY because the machines used in mass production require lubercants to run. Without it, they seize the same as running a car without Oil. That means we would have NOTHING in the stores. No tooth brushes, not breakfast cereal, not even milk (Unless you have your own cow) No TV's, Vcr's, Sterios, nothing. No soap, anything you buy in a supemarket is made, processed, or shiped by machines that require some form of lubercant. Even the fork lift run on Propane has an internal combustion engine that requires oil to lubercate it's bearings, and coolants to keep it form over heating. We owe our ENTIRE EXISTANCE to oil. Without it, we are cavemen again, and way to over populated to support ourselves without the technologys we have, technologies that DEPEND on oil. Heck, even with food production, the combines that harvest our crops need oil to lubercate their motors, and other mechanical parts. Without oil dependant farm equipment, we cannot produce enough food to feed everyone.

Even the ELECTRIC CAR has bearing in the axials, and in the electric motor itself that are lubercated with oils, or greases derived from Crude oil.

Oil is an absoLUTE nessecety for survival. The smartest thing for the US to do, is sit on our reserves until the rest of the world runs out, make sure we have the biggest baddest army there is to fight off others trying to conquer us for the oil we have, and hope by that time some sort of replacement technology has been developed. At least by then, being the only world source for it will ensure our survival, and hopefully buy us the time to figure out how to ensure everyones survival.

If you think about this, you will see I am right.

No sir, to use the old KFO staple, you are the polar opposite of right.

Here are some links you might find interesting about alternative to oil for engines and lubricants. The Biodiesel site is sponsored in part by an American soybean marketing association, but there doesn't seem to be too much at fault with their science... Please let me know, in your wisdom, as you have obviously thought about this, if you have any evidence to the contrary. (http://www.h2fc.com/news.html)
http://www.hfcletter.com/]
http://www.biodiesel.com/biodiesel_fuel.htm
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/gen-162.pdf
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/gen-284.pdf
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/

To be fair here's one for you, a link claiming that rapeseed is a higher percentage carcinogen. Though there is absolutely no evidence on the follow up link, just a big empty site: and this one can't even seem to tell us if it was refined or pure rapeseed, or what temperature it was fired at... Still, they try. (http://www.eces.org/articles/static/97962480042572.shtml)

Don't agree with some of this, but it still has some interesting information for you, if you are actually interested in learning, rather than spouting unsupported nonsense. (http://www.keygraphics.com/energy/who_we_are.html)

Sorry, no time to find much substantiated stuff disproving your plastics nonsense... so here're some useful pieces of scientific and a lot of emotive unsupported diatribe...! Don't agree with all of this either... (http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/6th-Basic-Food-Group.htm)
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/plastic.htm

Haven't got time to find any more, but please don't make quite such outrageously unsupported claims.

BTW, Bush pledged $1.2 bill for research into biodiesel, in his state of the union address in 2002. Haven't time to check the figures on this, but I guess this is a small fraction of the subsidies, legislation and research into petroluem products from the Bush administration. Still I appreciate it's a start for a small industry... although the industry would get bigger much quicker with a bigger start!

Royal Dragon
03-24-2003, 11:12 AM
What are you frik'n loopy? All I did was point out the obvious. conclusion ANYONE would come to by just looking at our world. All those links above pointed to Deisel fuel alternatives. Nothing about lubercants, and thier vital function in running the machenery that makes EVERY THING!!!

My point, is alternative fuels are not enough, we need to find a substitute for plastics, and a substitue for coolants and lubercants. Without those, all the Rice powered cars in the world won't help because thier engines would grind to a hault in a short amount of time.

So far, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING!!! Beats Crude oil derived lubercants and coolants. The stuff developed from soybeans or other plant materials just don't work because they break down so quickly.

I know they are working on it, but so far the have been little to no results. As far as alternative fuels go, Yes there have been results, and the strides there may very well extend the oil reserves enough tomdevelop alternateve renewable lubercants and coolants too, but in the mean time, I think it's smart to use the Mideast oil up first, and save ours for the end.

Also, the link about the health problems of plastic made no sense to me. Plastics are a major part of or existence. Heck, in today's world, i'd say a primary part of it even. Attacking them does not negate my position or the point I'm trying to make. That point by the way was:

"We are STILL dependant on crude oil even if we develop alternative fuels, because we need lubercants and coolants and plastics."

There are no alteratives to Crude oil derived lubercants, coolants and plastics used not only in industry, but domestically. Without Crude Oil, not only can you not RUN your car, it wouldn't even exist because the mechinery that makes it would grind to a hault as soon as the lubercants broke down. Just like a car needs an oli change every 3-4,000 miles, the machenery that builds you car need lubercant changes every 10,000 hours or so. And that's with a crude oil based lubercant. If we used a plant based lubercant, it would need a lubercant change every day. No way we could grow enough plants to meet that kind of demand. Plant oils are just not tough enough for the job.

So, you can promote alternative fules all you want, I support that because it will extend the life span of the Crud Oil suppiles world wide, but it won't remove our dependancy on them a whole heck of alot till we develop some sort of plant based lubercant and coolant that is at least close to the durability of Crude Oil based Lubercants and Coolants.

Merryprankster
03-24-2003, 11:17 AM
RD is amazingly correct. Lightweight biohydrocarbons are nowhere near as wear resistant as heavyweight crude oil derived lubricants. RD is suggesting extremely sound policy here--we need more than just energy--we need a new way to do plastics!

Long live white grease!! :D

Royal Dragon
03-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks MP, I just don't think people understand this from an infrastructure veiw point. Maybe I do because I am in manufacturing, and I know what it's like when the whole shop shuts down for 4 days because noone thought to grease the mulithead drill press and it ground to a stop and burned out.

Most people don't know how dependant we are on the lubercants and COOLANTS that protect our machines from friction and heat buildup. They only think about the fuel or power aspect, and it's actually less than half the picture. Heck, we can't even run our saw with out a coolant for the blade without breaking it in a day. but if we run the coolant on it, it lasts a month or so. Coolants are THAT important in industrial machienery. Without industrial machienery, we have nothing but cave-man technology.

Merryprankster
03-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I spent two years in shipboard engineering. Some days, I still smell like JP-5 or Marine Diesel #2.

Royal Dragon
03-24-2003, 11:38 AM
LOL!!!

I'm on layoff right now, but if I train really hard, I still smell the shop!!!

Mr Punch
03-25-2003, 04:16 AM
Smell the shop, mate?! Weren't using a lot of solvents were you?!:eek: :p :D

You may be coming to 'obvious' conclusions just by 'looking' at the world around you, but you're looking at it through oil-tinted glasses...

The links do contain information on lubricants. I suggest you look again.

Yes, oil-based ones are currently stronger, thus lasting longer... including lasting longer and doing more damage after use... but that doesn't mean biohydrocarbons can't be used. An oil-change 'every-day' is what you said for plant-based oils. This is wrong. In fact, it's nonsense.

And your example of machine failure was based on human failure, not an oil-problem.

As for plastics, there are very few that are mass-produceable from biomass right now, but a lot of that has to do more with investment than chemical restrictions IMO.

Sorry, spent to much time on here today anyway, but I'll try and find some more links for you... well, if you're gonna bother to read em properly anyway.:p :D

I'm not suggesting we can do completely without oil at our current technology level. I am suggesting that we need to stop ****ing about and develop the alternatives rather quicker than we have been doing.

Merryprankster
03-25-2003, 04:24 AM
I'm not suggesting we can do completely without oil at our current technology level. I am suggesting that we need to stop ****ing about and develop the alternatives rather quicker than we have been doing.

Umm... you guys are agreeing with each other. Stop arguing. :D

Laughing Cow
03-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Read an article today that fits right into this thread.

A company called Cargill Dow LLC in Minnesota is producing a plastic fiber called Ingeo from corn.

Apparently they supply 85 companies worldwide with their "plastic" fibre.
(Diesel, Faribault woolen Mills)

The fiber is biodegradable, etc.

At the moment they process 140.000t tons a year. 1/2 for fibers and 1/2 for packaging materials.

Problem of course with repalcing oil with those natural fibers, can we afford to grow them with limited space, fresh water becoming a premium and food shortages worldwide.

Hmm, maybe we might get "Silent Running" style space farms soon.

Mr Punch
03-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Umm... you guys are agreeing with each other. Stop arguing. :D

Well, like the boy implies, I am frik'n loopy... what's his excuse!!!:D

LC, yes we can, provided the soils aren't leached beyond all fertility by current farming techniques.

The problem with a lot of these biodegradeable materials is that they're not biodegradable when landfilled. They just compress and take centuries. So waste reduction plants also need to be invested in to turn these materials into fertiliser or another useable raw material.

Scott R. Brown
03-25-2003, 05:16 AM
We can get all the lubricants we want. All we have to do is harvest the spermaceti from sperm whales. It is the highest quality lubricant known to man and was used long before petroleum products.

Its a renewable resource!!!

We can eat the whale meat too!!! This way we don't have to waste anything.

I think we should herd them like cattle.

Royal Dragon
03-25-2003, 06:05 AM
And your example of machine failure was based on human failure, not an oil-problem.

Reply]
The example was meant to show what happenes wihtout a lubercant. Not everyone here has had the benefit of growing up in shop enviromnets.

Smell the shop, mate?! Weren't using a lot of solvents were you

Reply]
Hmmmm, lets see, paint sprayed out in the open, sucking welding fumes all day due to inaduqueate ventalation in a shop that is just a hair within regulations so long as the authorities don't realise the scope of our prodution levels.

It's just like anyother small shop found anywhere in the USA. Full of air born toxins most of the day.

Umm... you guys are agreeing with each other. Stop arguing.

Reply]
Huh???....What?.....Where's the fun in THAT!?!?!?!?! :D

I am frik'n loopy... what's his excuse!!!

Reply]
The worl may neer know................I mean, The World may never know.....................

Serpent
03-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Royal Dragon, mate, please.

The word is

LUBRICANT

:)

joedoe
03-25-2003, 04:59 PM
As far as engine oils go, I thought the synthetic ones were supposed to be better now? Or have the ads with our racing car drivers in them been lying to me?

Laughing Cow
03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

As far as engine oils go, I thought the synthetic ones were supposed to be better now? Or have the ads with our racing car drivers in them been lying to me?

Synthetic oils alone won't do that much.

Used it on my 750, changes in performance happened after I did the following:
Teflon coated inside of engine(after polishing it)
added sunthetic oil
Replaced roller bearings with floater bearings (those make a racket when you start the engine) :D

Question of course is where did those synthetic oils come from, what goes into producing them??

joedoe
03-25-2003, 05:23 PM
But did you know that canola (actually rapeseed) oil was originally developed as an alternative lubricant for vehicles during WWII, but was rejected because it was not viscous enough and burned too easily? They then tried to find an alternative use for it and decided to feed it to people. I try to avoid it where I can :)

Laughing Cow
03-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
But did you know that canola (actually rapeseed) oil was originally developed as an alternative lubricant for vehicles during WWII, but was rejected because it was not viscous enough and burned too easily? They then tried to find an alternative use for it and decided to feed it to people. I try to avoid it where I can :)

Doesn't surprise me at all.

My Mother tells me that the tinned dog food we gave to our dogs tasted exactly like the tinned food they got after WW II.

;) ;)

joedoe
03-25-2003, 05:41 PM
LOL.

My high school chemistry teacher once told us that if you ever saw when margarine looked like before it was coloured to look like butter you would never eat it :)

Combine that with the origins of canola oil and you can see why I don't eat canola-based margarines :D

Royal Dragon
03-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Royal Dragon, mate, please.

The word is

LUBRICANT.

Reply]
LOL!!!, Pselling was neber my strong piont.

Oh, as far as I know, synthetic LUBRICANT's :D are still Crude Oil based. Just porcessed more.