PDA

View Full Version : Results of tournament fights

Mr.Sleazy
03-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Hello, All:

I haven't posted in ages, and I never posted all that much, but thought some might enjoy to hear about how I did in a recent tournament:

Tournament: Tiger Balm 2003 Vancouver @Cap College
Event: Pankration (MMA, sort of beginner NHB), Novice category, 154-173 lbs, around 15 participants in this category.
Rules: full contact body, light contact head (yeah right I took some good shots), no elbows, no heel hooks.

1 three minute round for the matches, win is by ref stoppage, submission, or judges' decision.

Went into the tournament pretty stoked, and not as nervous as I thought I would be. A bunch of friends and family turned out to cheer me on too.

Around 12:00, my coach started to warm me up with a bit of pad work, some pummelling and neck wrestling. Around 1:00 my matches began.

Match 1. My opponent stayed back a bit out of range. I tried a couple leg kicks, but didn't land anything telling. I don't recall him throwing anything at me. After a bit of dodging, he shot in with a crappy double leg attempt. I sprawled, got underhooks, and took him down to side control, then to full mount right away. Threw in a couple punches, then attempted a keylock. He defended by rolling towards the locked arm, which gave me his back. Got the hooks in, arms around the neck, and he tapped out to rear naked about 1:30 into the match.

Match 2. Much tougher opponent, this guy was big. Again, we traded a bit, and I landed 2 solid round kicks, one to thigh and one to ribs. He shot in for a double, but I reversed and took him down, he was on bottom with half guard. Traded some blows on the ground, and somehow he got a kimura on my right arm, but didn't control my hips. I managed to slip out of half guard and take full mount with his arms still locked for kimura. After I had full mount, he couldn't hold it, and I got some punches in before I attempted straight arm-bar. He defended it, but I switched to triangle and was starting to sink it in when the time ran out. Judges gave me the unanimous decision on this one.

Match 3. Semi-finals. Holy cow am I tired. My opponent is a friend from my own gym, whom I have never managed to tap out. Very strong guy. I landed a few push kicks, but he took me down twice to guard. He was content to ground and pound in my guard. I tried a few times to pop his head up and try for the armbar, but he was too tight and I couldn't secure anything. Time ran out, and the judges were against me this time, which was as it should be. This was prob. a boring match to watch. With this loss I no longer had a shot even at #2, and so my last fight was for third place.

Match 4. By this point, my cauliflower ear was swelled up pretty bad. I was supposed to get right back up after Match 3 and fight, but they gave me a couple minutes to ice the ear, then I was on the mat again. I didn't know how much more fight I had in me, I was so tired. Standup part of Match 4 was decisive in my favour. We traded some leg kicks, then I got neck clinch on him and fired knees to the belly and ribs (no knees to face allowed). The fight kind of went out of him after that. I got so tired from kneeing that I took him down, but he went to 4-point and I took his back. Got the hooks in, broke him down, and he tapped to rear naked about 2:30 in the match.

I was elated to take 3rd place in this event. There was some tough competition, and it was great to win 2 matches by submission. Also very relieved that it was over, and I could rest. All the fighters were very respectful, no badmouthing or hard feelings anywhere. Also great ref work and judging, as far as I could tell. And kudos to all my opponents, all were tough!

BTW afterwards I went to the hospital to get cauliflower ear dealt with, now it is all bandaged up and still hurts (the docs drained it).

Overall, I know this was no UFC and I am no pro fighter but what a wild feeling, especially after winning the first match. Don't know if I will compete again, and I have no illusions about pro fighting, but great to test myself this way.

To finish up I would enjoy hearing other's stories about any of their fights (sport fights), how they went and what went through your head. Thanks to anyone who read the long post.

By the way how to I insert a photo without it showing up as just a link? I'm the one in the Tapout short on top in this photo. Thnks

Golden Arms
03-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey, I saw a couple of your fights if that is you with no shirt in the pic. :D there were some pretty tough guys in that competition this year, so my hat is off to you for jumping in there and putting your body on the line! Congrats.

joedoe
03-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Congratulations. Well done.

FatherDog
03-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Congratulations, man. Good stuff.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Good job! Keep it up.

Merryprankster
03-25-2003, 04:27 AM
Congratulations!

Now, go get in shape :D

TzuChan
03-25-2003, 04:52 AM
way to go dude, keep it up !

Mr.Sleazy
03-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Hey Golden thanks! Were you competing too or spectating?

I wanted to watch the SanShou action, and even thought about entering, but I was too keyed up before my matches to watch and after I went straight to the hospital, but some of those fights looked pretty good. The fast SanShou action made for a pretty good show, I thought.

The pankration matches were maybe not as good for spectators as they were further from the stands, and the submission grappling involved tends to be hard to see from a distance.

red5angel
03-25-2003, 11:09 AM
nice job on your matches!

by the way, I don't know a whole lot about cauliflower ear, is it swelling of the ear due to impact?

Mr.Sleazy
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Cauliflower ear I now know is called "pinna haematoma" by the docs. It is a swelling of the ear from the breaking of small blood vessels and the separation of the skin from the cartilage. If the ear is allowed to heal on its own the cartilage can die and lots of scar tissue can form, thus wrestlers' permanently swollen ears. It can be caused by an impact, or more commonly by lots of grappling leading to the ear being folded and crushed repeatedly. Common injury for wrestlers and rugby players. Apparently some people are more susceptible than others, prob. just unfortunate genetics.

No-one punched or kicked my ear that I remember, it was more from all the grappling.

Overall, the injury doesn't hurt much but it looks really really weird.

SevenStar
03-26-2003, 10:37 AM
yeah, grappling is all you need to get cauliflower ear. the constant rubbing and irritation will do the trick.