PDA

View Full Version : How hard to train?

rogue
03-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Omega Point on one of the other threads (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20871&pagenumber=2) here made some interesting observations about hard/sport training and the toll it takes on the average body.

So how does one train to keep ones skills readily usable but still keep damage to the body to a minimum?

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 08:02 PM
by training properly. As I said twice on that thread, my judo coach is 73. A guy I know fought a full contact kickboxing match for his 50th b-day.

Fred Sanford
03-24-2003, 08:04 PM
I train up until the point where I start to sweat then I back off. I heard that sweating is bad for building internal power style chi blasts.

rogue
03-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Considering that genetics, age and goals all come into play how do you personally train properly?

joedoe
03-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Fred Sanford
I train up until the point where I start to sweat then I back off. I heard that sweating is bad for building internal power style chi blasts.

That's not true. F@rting is bad for building chi blasts - you need to hold them in to build that chi blast power.

shaolin kungfu
03-24-2003, 08:25 PM
That's not true. F@rting is bad for building chi blasts - you need to hold them in to build that chi blast power.

A long time ago, people would have jade plugs put in their orifaces after they died to prevent the loss of gas.

Serpent
03-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu

A long time ago, people would have jade plugs put in their orifaces after they died to prevent the loss of gas.

I'm supposed to put those in after death!? Oh man, no wonder I feel so bloated.

shaolin kungfu
03-24-2003, 08:42 PM
LOL.:D

joedoe
03-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

I'm supposed to put those in after death!? Oh man, no wonder I feel so bloated.

So that is why you are so full of hot air :D

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Considering that genetics, age and goals all come into play how do you personally train properly?

because I know me. You know when you are pushing your limits. Of course, at an advanced age, I can't be thrown. but I can throw and I can grapple. I can listen to my body to determine how much I can do.

I won't train like I do now, as I won't be competing then - no need for an elite fitness level. Heck, I can ask the same question of a tai chi guy. at 73, can you still do your forms 10 - 15 times a day? How much push hands can you do before you have to stop? Limitations will be there, it's up to you to know what yours are. It's a given that when I'm that old, I won't be able to bench 280, but does that mean I can't work out at all? nah.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

he was just using the plugs because they felt good to him. :D

Serpent
03-24-2003, 09:13 PM

Not sure that "hot air" is what I'm full of! ;)

joedoe
03-24-2003, 09:22 PM
You talking about a more solid substance? :D

HuangKaiVun
03-24-2003, 09:38 PM
It all depends on what sport you do.

Whether it be judo or NHB or boxing or capoera or Taijiquan or whatever, strict adherence to the rules of the ring usually minimizes injury.

Now in "reality" martial arts, that's a different story. There is no way to totally simulate the real life combat scenario.

The Chinese martial artists tried to address some of this by having solo set practice (to work the postures and neuromuscular connection), reflex training against sparring partners or inanimate objects, and even what I call "environment fu" (using the kung fu in noncombative scenarios for noncombative purposes).

In my school, guys can get really banged up. To what extent a person takes damage during practice depends on the individual student's willingness to get knocked around.

Serpent
03-24-2003, 10:03 PM
You talking about a more solid substance? :D

:D

When I was an angry teenager, my dad often used to ask me why I was "so full of p!ss and vinegar"! ;)

joedoe
03-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
It all depends on what sport you do.

Whether it be judo or NHB or boxing or capoera or Taijiquan or whatever, strict adherence to the rules of the ring usually minimizes injury.

Now in "reality" martial arts, that's a different story. There is no way to totally simulate the real life combat scenario.

The Chinese martial artists tried to address some of this by having solo set practice (to work the postures and neuromuscular connection), reflex training against sparring partners or inanimate objects, and even what I call "environment fu" (using the kung fu in noncombative scenarios for noncombative purposes).

In my school, guys can get really banged up. To what extent a person takes damage during practice depends on the individual student's willingness to get knocked around.

The other interesting thing to note is that many kung fu teachers were also Traditional Medicine doctors, or bone setters. Obviously they would have to employ their healing skills to some of their students now and then :)

Laughing Cow
03-24-2003, 10:15 PM
How hard to train and how much damage to take.

Hmm lets see:

Your best training won't help you if you either too fatiqued or injured to apply it when the chips are down.

Preferably you should always have a little reserve left, just in case the smelly stuff hits the spinning blades.

A friend of mine used to train hard, push himself to the limit till he could go no more.

One day after workout 3 Guys put a beating on him.

He upset them a few days ago in a Disco and they guys knew that after a workout he was soo pushed that he was easy prey.

If you only train for the ring or similar than pushing the limit is ok, IMO.
but if you want to rely on it for SD you better got some reserves left jsut in case.

Just my opinion.

joedoe
03-24-2003, 10:35 PM
I used to have a sihing that pushed us so hard that my whole body could barely move for 5 days afterwards - then it was time to train again! The net result was that I was stiff and sore almost all the time. I stopped training with him after a while for exactly the reason that LC is talking about. I figured that if I was always so stiff and sore then I would be completely screwed in an altercation.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 11:13 PM
How long did you undergo that type of training? you should've at least grown accustomed enough to it that you weren't sore for 5 days if you did it for any length of time, I'd think.

joedoe
03-24-2003, 11:29 PM
A few months, maybe a year. No, when it looked like we were getting used to it he just made it harder. Knowing what I know now about body mechanics etc. I think it might not have been so bad had I warmed up and cooled off correctly, or even done some light workouts in the following days to work out the lactic acid. But back then it was pure agony.

It was very harsh training, but no doubt the old-timers would tell me that they trained like that for years and were grateful for it :D

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 11:35 PM
That was your fault then - you shouldn't have made it look like it was getting easier! :D