PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do For My Hand?

SanSoo Student
03-24-2003, 08:13 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing daily bag work, and I had a pretty rough day. So when I punched one time, the bag snapped back at me and pushed my fist upward and hurt my wrist and hand.

I got even more ****ed and with adrenaline I kept punching my bag until the chain broke. Afterwards for like 10 minutes, my hand began throbbing with pain: so I wrapped it tightly and iced it.

The next morning it was fine, so I thought it was nothing. And I started to workout, and when I started hitting the bag the following afternoon, after 3 min. IT STARTED HURTING LIKE HELL.

I let it heal for 3 weeks and iced and heated it everyday.Now everytime I start hitting anything after like 5 minutes it will start hurting like hell, and I lost my gripping strength in my right hand.

WHAT SHOULD I DO, REPLIES FOR REMEDIES GREATLY NEEDED!

45degree fist
03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
you need to lay off it until it strengthens back up.
do some lite wrist exersices and grip training.
if you must hit something dont pound away, use a wrist wrap and gloves and work on your form. after any workout soak your hand in some warm water and epson salt. this plan worked for me when I had a similar ailment. if after a month or so it still hurts see a physician it is probably something that requires surgery.

Robinf
03-25-2003, 06:23 AM
Go to your doctor now. You have have torn a ligament or tendon, you might have a severe sprain, you might have even broken something. If you keep using it now, it'll only get worse.

PLEASE, go see your doctor and get an x-ray! These things often don't require surgery so don't be afraid to go to the doctor. The doctor is also well worth any expense you have to pay to heal a body part.

Robin

SanSoo Student
03-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the adviceguys. I will schedule an appointment to go see a doctor, and then if its all right I will use 45's advice and strengthen my wrist and grip.

nospam
03-27-2003, 10:22 PM
..sounds like you sparined the wrist or fractured your wrist. Depending ont he severity of a sprain - 2- 10 weeks. Three weeks might sound long but if you went to bag training shortly after..not much time at all re:

With your left hand, compress your right hand starting at the wrist (boney part) and working your way down the hand...any deep or dull pain sensation? Probably bone. If acute, pointed pain after three weeks...might be a tear in a ligament.

My call...moderate strain you are NOT letting heal. Stop all bag workouts for a good month. You hit the bag for five minutes before the pain...sounds like a sprain of which you are not allowing proper healing.

Seeing a Doc is always a safe way to go. Although I feel people go too often. But that's just me.

nospam.
:cool:

maccajim
04-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Punching a bag is good for strengthening arms but in some cases it is bad for your punches. My master says free or shadow punching in the air is better for speed and the fact that you don't stop when the bag stops you, you stop when you reach the end of your full punch length.

So punching only the bag can eventually slow your punching speed and stop you from continuing the full motion, which shortens your reach, also better for your hand while you recover, may even notice an increase in speed.

good luck being injured sux

greendragon
04-04-2003, 03:47 PM
try this. find the center of you forearm muscle, where the center of the widest and longest dimensions cross, this should also be the highest point of rise. find the spot where it hurts when you rub or push on it, then stimulate it hard, maybe with your knuckle. it will hurt like hell and make your wrist feel better instantly. Also have your teacher check your punching technique to make sure it is perfect. Lay off it awhile and use the other arm.

CrippledAvenger
04-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by maccajim
Punching a bag is good for strengthening arms but in some cases it is bad for your punches. My master says free or shadow punching in the air is better for speed and the fact that you don't stop when the bag stops you, you stop when you reach the end of your full punch length.

So punching only the bag can eventually slow your punching speed and stop you from continuing the full motion, which shortens your reach, also better for your hand while you recover, may even notice an increase in speed.

good luck being injured sux

Actually, not to go off on a tangent, but hyper-extending your joints during a punch is not good for you either, even if you're just shadowboxing. Just my two cents on the matter.

As for medical advice, do what the others have said and see a doctor, if possible, one that specializes in sports medicine. Rest and give your body time to heal, and follow the doctor's orders... just like everyone else said.

Hope you're back to training soon!