PDA

View Full Version : Could use your experience....

Kris
03-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Well, I have finally decided to start training in a martial art ( I am 34 years old, but please don't make me say it again....it hurts...)

Anyhow, I am not too interested in competing, mostly interested in the training and focus. And unless someone just walks up and hits me, I probably won't be getting into any real fights (34, remember). I have narrowed down the school that I would like to attend in my area to two, and was wondering if I could have some input about what you think.

The first is 'Pong Lai Martial Arts'.............He teaches Northern Praying Mantis I think, seems to have an impressive background. He doesn't have a website but here is a quick article with him in it. I met the instructor and he seems pretty down to earth. I am going by next week for a trial class.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=298

The second is 'Clear's Silat'......His main priority is Silat, but he also teaches different styles of Kung Fu. He has a website, I included the link below. I am just concerned that at Clear's Silat, the Kung Fu styles are kind of 'backseat' to the silat. Of course, I don't even know if this is a real concern or not as I have absolutely no experience.

www.clearsilat.com

Anyway, I am leaning toward Pong Lai, but it is further away and I think a little more expensive.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated! I tend to be loyal to a fault, so I want to make sure I make the best decision I can.

Kris

Serpent
03-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Can't comment specifically as I don't know either school. However, I would suggest that you just go along to every school you can find and ask if you can join in a free first class to see how their style is.

Any school that won't give you a free trial class you can strike off right away anyhow. Then just keep trying things till you find one that clicks. Don't limit your options.

Of course, anyone here with experience of the schools you mentioned will be worth listening to.

Except Sevenstar. Don't listen to him.

:)

carly
03-24-2003, 08:48 PM
in florida? He sounds great, although it's probably a harder workout than the silat school.
Definitely visit Pong Lai and take a look at it before you decide.

SevenStar
03-24-2003, 09:04 PM
I personally would go to the silat school. I've hear pretty good things about that place, and I like silat anyway. (not that I dislike mantis, but given a choice and both schools are good, I'd pick silat) I've never heard on pong lai, so I can't say anything about the place.

ZIM
03-24-2003, 09:30 PM
More power to you! I'm 36 and just got started @ 35- there's lots of us, believe it or not.

I'm not familiar with the schools.. N. Mantis I'm familiar with in general terms, and it seems like a good, strong style. Not sure what you may be after, tho [self-development, exploration, etc- all good]

Whatever you go for, make sure you like the school and people, cuz your going to be there awhile.

stuff to watch for (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=11345) and I think sharp phil is aware of clear's, if he'll just show up.

carly
03-24-2003, 09:52 PM
" About Pong Lai...
My personal view is that if Shrfu Shr decided to identify his branch of mantis as Pong Lai, he certainly is entitled to do so. Given his extraordinary impressive credentials and the uniqueness of his teaching, I would think it is an advantage for him to adopt the branch designation.

First of all, he has a tremendously broad knowledge of almost all Mantis styles in existance (the width). Second, he has IMHO successfully blending them together with his distinct flavor (the length). Lastly, he has developed an unique indepth methodology (5 stages of training) in transmitting his mantis teaching (the depth). I personally have seen this in his students such as Tainan Mantis, Ponglai (the kfo member), and some others including one whom Tainan Mantis called Shrsong [I am very impressed by him eventhough I only saw he on some video clips]. Pong Lai Mantis, if we are permitted to call it that, would definitely be a 3 dimensional and extensive Mantis system. BTW, Pong Lai is rather a catchy name with human-geographic importance too.

Mantis108"

Fred Sanford
03-24-2003, 10:37 PM
go with the silat school. It probably has more realistic training. it's hard to find a kung fu school that doesn't suck.

joedoe
03-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Like you'd know :rolleyes:

I said this to stumblefist in another thread, but I think it applies equally well to you Fred - Denis Leary sang a song a few years back that describes you perfectly.

shaolin kungfu
03-24-2003, 11:12 PM
I think i know that song.

joedoe
03-24-2003, 11:25 PM

jon
03-25-2003, 02:38 AM
Check out both schools and just see which one suits your personality and mental attitude better.

Mantis is great, so is silat - providing you can find good instruction.
Just visit both classes and see which one tickles your fancy :)

Take a good look at the quality of the senior students as well and try to get a feel for how there skill compares to the instructor.

Tainan Mantis
03-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Kris,
The Ponglai school you mention is run by my kung fu brother.
We trained together in Taiwan and in the states for over 10 years together.
Like most people here have said, you should check out both schools.

I have some clips of what I have learned and posted them on the Mantis forum.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
In the end it is most important you like the teacher, his students and school.

Vapour
03-25-2003, 08:58 AM
There is a guy in Britain who started aikido at age 50. He is now about 75 and guess what, he is 4th or 5th dan. :)

Kris
03-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all of your input and suggestions! I will take the advice offered and visit both schools before I make my decision.

I am sure that either school is going to be good for me, probably can't go wrong either way. I should know by next week and give you an update.

Thanks for the video clips too! They were really great to watch.

Kris

shaolin kungfu
03-25-2003, 09:17 AM
while handicapped people, make handicapped faces.

joedoe
03-25-2003, 04:20 PM
I go to the toilet and p!ss on the seat
And walk around in the Summer time saying "What about this heat"

:D