PDA

View Full Version : Another common ground thread: war and foreign policy

Chang Style Novice
03-25-2003, 09:59 AM
The track record for these things hasn't been great, but I think we need one more than ever.

What can everyone (or almost everyone) agree upon wrt war and foreign policy?

Here's a few quick thoughts off the bat:

War in general should be regarded as a foreign policy failure.

Foreign policy should have the long range goal of making the the world as a whole more safe, more prosperous, and more democratic.

A supernational governing body (for example, the United Nations or the European Union) exists to peacefully resolve issues between its constituent nations, and in order to be effective must have a binding way of exerting punitive force. Punitive force does not always mean making war, but may include it.

Merryprankster
03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
War in general should be regarded as a foreign policy failure.

Disagree- War is foreign policy instrument. War can be regarded as a diplomatic failure though.

Foreign policy should have the long range goal of making the the world as a whole more safe, more prosperous, and more democratic.

Ok. I'll buy this. If you caveat it by adding that foreign policy should also serve the interests of the nation.

A supernational governing body (for example, the United Nations or the European Union) exists to peacefully resolve issues between its constituent nations, and in order to be effective must have a binding way of exerting punitive force. Punitive force does not always mean making war, but may include it.

A supernational DIPLOMATIC body. Governing is a way different issue.

Chang Style Novice
03-25-2003, 10:15 AM
I have no problem with MP's refinements of my original statements.