PDA

View Full Version : Long Fist

MonkeySlap Too
06-06-2001, 08:30 PM
So, I just wanted ask the experts - how does Li Mao Cings Long Fist fit into the Shaolin world?

This is the style taught by people like Ni Wei Chen and Yang Jwing Ming.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Brad
06-07-2001, 01:21 AM
Is this the one created in 1929? If it is, I think it was created from different northern longfist systems with Shaolin roots and named Shaolin Longfist as homage to the temple.

MonkeySlap Too
06-07-2001, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I think a guy named Fu Bar Gen or some such was at the center of this. I was told that it was islamic long fist mostly. I was just wondering about the 'shaolin' in the name.

I have history books, but sometimes on the forums people have more info.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Self-Thinking Follower
06-07-2001, 02:55 AM
They organized chinese martial arts into Two major departments; the Shaolin Department- Dean of studies, Wang Zi Ping and the Wu-Dang Department- Dean of studies, Sun Lu Tang.

The Shaolin connection however was in the teachers who taught there, like Gu Yu Chang (Bei Shaolin/Bak Siu lam) and Wan lai shen (shaolin Liu Ho Chuan/Siu lam lok hop kuen) of course both of these men did practice other non shaolin systems also. There were other instructors who also taught various shaolin derived forms.

Remember that the dean in the "Shaolin department" was famous for his Islamic Long Fist, so its no surprise that the curriculum favored sets from this non shaolin source.

Li Mao Ching was a student of Han Jin Tan, a leading graduate of the Institutes first class of students, Chang Dung Shen was another.

Yan Kei Tsu (New York) and his junior classmate Yang Jwing Ming (Boston) both studied under Li Mao Ching.

Please forgive my misspelling of any names.

Hope this helps
STF

[This message was edited by Self-Thinking Follower on 06-07-01 at 06:13 PM.]

GLW
06-10-2001, 06:57 PM
SelfThinking...

While it is true that Grandmaster Wang Ziping was famous for his Zhaquan (and his Shuai Jiao)...he was also quite open minded in things.

The curriculum was not favoring The Zha (Cha) fist due to him. He appreciated all arts and strove to bring Chinese styles together.

(the actual history of the Nanjing Guoshu Guan and Wang Ziping is actually quite interesting ...how he came to be there and why he left there and ended up in Shanghai....)

Wang retained his speed, power, and abilities until just about the end of his life. Sadly, he passed away at age 93 during the Cultural Revolution. His family now resides in the US - Daughter and Son-in-law in Houston, Tx, Granddaughers in Houston, Wichita, Kansas, and Toronto, Canada.

Self-Thinking Follower
06-11-2001, 02:13 AM
GLW, thank you for the input, actually most of the curriculum we learned is from Islamic Long-Fist, That's why some people like Adam Hsu, sifu refer to the system as Islamic Long Fist. Hsu, sifu was also a student of Han Jin Tan.

We heard many good things about Wang Zi Ping, and respect his memory,insight, and direction in the establishment of the Nanjing lineage. Because most of the first class students had already been somewhat skilled in martial arts before entering Nanjing's Institute, many of todays instructors teach what appears to be differing curriculums, both in material and style. I have seen students of Wang's family and some material differs. Perhaps you can shed some light on what may of been the original curriculum at Nanjing and what may of been Wang Zi Ping's own curriculum.

TIA, STF

GLW
06-11-2001, 09:59 PM
I can't say totally on Nanjing's curriculum...but only on Wang Ziping's material.

That part is quite extensive.... He was a man ahead of his time....and a classical man at the same time.