PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this school?

PHILBERT
06-06-2001, 11:05 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/2781/

I was wanting to take up Kung Fu in Arlington when I move back there later this year and I was wondering if anyone here knew this man teaching it. I found this off a link from Martialinfo.com and he teaches Northern Shaolin Kung Fu and wanted your opinions if you know him. Thanks.

PHILBERT

WongFeHung
06-11-2001, 01:58 AM
Check out Wong's Chinese Boxing Assoc.-they teach Jow-Ga, a beautiful blend of Hung-Ga and Choy Li Fut-very traditional, very good.The Sifu is Raymond Wong, andtheir # is 877-880-6370 tell them the Sifu from Ten Tigers reccomended them.

RENEGADE_MONK
06-13-2001, 05:15 PM
I train under Sifu Wong maybe i can help you with some info ....nevermind !! I see that you are rferring to Arlington Texas, not Arlington VA ;)

WongFeHung
06-14-2001, 06:53 AM
oops

GLW
06-14-2001, 03:30 PM
9th degree black belt...?

I would question that.

reemul
06-19-2001, 10:18 AM
In response to your original post, It sounds Like this guy has put in a lot of time training. Whether he is a good teacher or not who knows, so Go check it out.

A friend of mine studied KAJUKEMBO some time and told me each KAJUKEMBO school tends to focus on different aspects. For istance one school may be influenced more by the karate aplication than say a KAJUKEMBO school that focuses on the kungfu aplications. KAJUKEMBO by definition is a MMA with an actual name(long before MMA's became the fad). The schools tend to focus on what the instructors interrest are.

As for the reference to Northern Shaolin, my only
question is Northern Shaolin What? What Northern Shaolin system is he referring to.

Gargoyle again
06-20-2001, 08:18 AM
what reemul said.

I was with a Kajukenbo school for about six months. I think mine was of the same lineage as the one you posted. They are a style that has branched a couple of times since its inception in the 1940's and it is my understanding that different lineages focus on different aspects of the style. e.g. some will be heavily kung fu based, some heavily indonesian based, etc. Mine was of the "chuan fa" lineage and so more heavily emphasized their chinese forms than other lineages do. Also, the sifus bring a lot of their own personal training background into what and how they teach.

It is a mixed martial art, blending kung fu, jiujitsu, kempo, and a couple others I forget. On the good side, it is a very eclectic style, and teaches a vast variety of techniques and tactics. On the bad side, it is a very eclectic style, and suffers a bit from lack of specialization in any one area.

Anyway, I enjoyed the school, and the few people I've met from other kajukenbo schools were also well skilled and good people.

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
--Willie Wonka

Gargoyle again
06-20-2001, 08:26 AM
also, reemul asked about what system of Northern Shaolin?

The school I was with had about 6-8 chinese forms that I witnessed (they may have had more). They did Lin Po Chuan which I have seen elsewhere, as well as a form I recognize directly from Hung Gar (I don't know its name though). So I'm not sure if they derive from a single system or if they are more of a collection of various classical Chinese forms. They are all distinctly Northern-flavored though. That's the best I can offer :)

--Willie Wonka

reemul
06-21-2001, 09:03 AM
but Hun gar is a Southern system. But thanks for theadded info.

Gargoyle again
06-21-2001, 04:25 PM
hehe, you're right of course :) When I typed I was thinking more of the techniques and style of movement rather than the geographic origin. I think of Hung Gar as being "Northern-flavored southern" ;) Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

--Willie Wonka