PDA

View Full Version : numb fingers?

Ming Yue
03-25-2003, 07:21 PM
For the past few days the index finger and thumb of my right hand have been randomly going kind of numb... tingly. Just for a moment, then it goes. no pain, just numbness.

It happened a couple times when I've been training, it's happened at work typing, and reading...

I mentioned the numbness to my boss, and he said it sounded like the beginnings of carpal tunnel. I'm a graphic designer and I've used the computer for my work for a long time.

I understand that Carpal tunnel is an inflammation of the nerve sheath that runs into the hand. Can anyone recommend excercises to keep this in check?

Thanks!

Serpent
03-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Exercise and stretch your hands repeatedly during the work day, taking regular breaks from the PC to do so. Massage also helps a great deal.

Get another job?

ZIM
03-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Mouse fingers? Get a trackball, wrist support. and what serpent said.

Laughing Cow
03-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Get a mouse that fits your hand correctly.

Wrist support, etc.

Guile
03-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Those gel pads are great for wrists. Pick one up at Best Buy or something like that.

Ming Yue
03-26-2003, 09:37 AM
thanks guys.

I got a gel mousepad thingie, pretty comfortable actually.

Former castleva
03-27-2003, 11:15 AM
If you seem to develop carpal tunnel syndrome,see your neurologist.

nospam
03-27-2003, 10:04 PM
...sounds like minor compression of the median nerve.

I'd suggest conducting research on ergonomics so you can assess your worksite for proper body and workspace positioning.

You want to strive for a neutral arm/wrist position. Using the mouse is horrible for extending the shoulder for most office workers. Constant shoulder extension could result in the tingling sensation (neuropathy) of the forearm/fingers.

Assess your body mechanics next time you're at work. Where is your mouse positioned? Do you have to reach for it? Is your arm extended? Do you keep it to the right or left outside of your reach? If YES - your shoulder is in an unnatural position for extended periods of time. What you are experiencing is a symptom of what has become systemic ill-positioning.

The median nerve runs the course of the whole arm - so the compression could be anywhere. The best way to do fight this is proper ergonomics and taking micro-pauses on a regular basis. even going to get something printed out is a sufficient enough break/pause. If your printer is located within arms reach...thiank about moving it so you need to get up and away from your workspace.

Also, the height of your chair could be a problem...if it is too high or too low this will compress the wrist, and over time you could experience problems.

For the arms think elbows in and at a comfortable open position.

If you rest your wrists on the desk..guess what? You are putting pressure on the nerves under the wrist ergo carpel tunnel syndrome.

You mention a gel mousepad..beware! Proper use of a mousepad is for the pad of the wrist or hand. If you rest your wrist on the pad, guess what? You are still placing pressure on the nerves.

nospam.
:cool:

PLCrane
03-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Carpal tunnel syndrome tends to affect the middle fingers. Thoracic outlet syndrome tends to affect the little and ring fingers, and cervical disc problems tend to affect the thumb and index. Of course, there are exceptions to all of these.

You might want to get your neck checked out, particularly if you have any neck pain or soreness to the touch or a history of neck injury or if neck movements make it worse.

Make sure you're not holding your head way in front of your shoulders. That goes for everybody.

PLC

awakenwired
03-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Many people while sitting at a desk reading or looking at a computer screen for great lengths of time, can often find themselves resting their forearms on the corner of the desk. Near the elbow. That can lead to your problem.

R
03-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Nah just info...

Root problems tend to got to whole digits....peripheral nerves almost always supply at least one section of only one side of a finger. As the others said the pinch is likely to be higher up. Thumb and forefinger is typically C6 (???C2 there isn't even a section below the head that has C2 innervation cutaneously :p ).

The second question is it numb or tingling...any minor compression gives pins and needles..like when you hit your funny bone (which is your ulnar nerve). Numbness is when things go to sleep and you can't feel them...this usually occurs when there is compression applied for awhile and the nerve becomes more severely affected. Often you can see the two together..leg on the edge of a hard chair...with time you get numbnmess in part of your thigh but when you get up and the compression reduces you feel the pins and needles as the nerve starts to work again.

By all means see a professional if you have concerns....a physical therapist, osteopathic physician or a chiropractor could help. The usual problem has to do with working posture and how your muscles are tightening up on the nerve. Try sitting up and changing your work habits and see what happens. Interestingly there is no pain as the nerve has not been inflamed or you would suffer alot more (which suggests a relatively benign cause of your complaints).

Maybe consider doing a few stretches, qigong or yoga to help loosen things up a bit. Don't get conned into treatment forever by anyone and remember you are the best judge of how your body is behaving. Don't forget to keep training (although maybe you will need to pace yours elf in the short term).

FWIW

R

Repulsive Monkey
03-30-2003, 07:54 AM
Sounds most likely to be a channel blockage on the metal channels i.e. Large Intestine and Lungs hence the thumb and index fingers going numb.

Former castleva
03-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Funnily some modern research seems to let you know that carpal tunnel should not be caused by typing.

As far as it sounds like,and blood circulation issue being probably out of the game...this is like screaming of neurological issues.
What I´m still suggesting is that if there is a problem like that you might want to get a specialized professional to make a diagnosis for that,nobody else can that far.
As understood,the case for neurologist or perhaps related clinical neuroscientist. (As looking for medical assistance off the web is not reliable)

Cody
03-30-2003, 12:23 PM
intelligent discussion. I'll add something, though it's a long shot.

Are you diabetic or have you had even mild sugar intolerance at times? Sometimes blood sugar problems can be largely asymptomatic, but numbness of extremeties can be part of the picture. I've had something similar to what you describe, and then I started not feeling well after eating sugary foods. (no history of diabetes) The passing mild numbness and severe cold in index and thumb of right hand have improved since I have changed my diet. I also blamed it on mousing at first. Am seeing doc tomorrow.

Cody

R
03-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Worsley 5 Elements kind of guy? I had thought perhaps a hand Yang Ming/ Taiyin problem a possibility. Certainly as good an explanation as the others but one question....with stagnation/blockage wouldn't you also expect pain?

Cheers, R.

Repulsive Monkey
03-31-2003, 12:49 AM
True with a blockage yes, it could a Liver Blood xu condition creating the numbness as opposed to blood stagnation, or even Qi stagnation.
May I be so bold to ask of the origin of your mentioning of the esteemed J.R. Worsley?? Are you from Leamington or C.I.C.M.??

R
03-31-2003, 02:33 PM
I have heard many good things about Mr Worsley. But primarily I remember that he is often spoken about in his connections to institutions with a 5 Elements orientation.

I am in the East Midlands but I do't know anything about British insitutions in this area. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Please send me a PM or an e-mail if you information I could find useful..

Cheers, R