PDA

View Full Version : training bogging down

hongkong fuey
03-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Just curious on everybodies ideas when you hit the treaded time in training when you start to bog down, give me some more ideas on how to remotivate yourself and how keep from bogging down in the future:confused:

Tsuei
03-27-2003, 12:10 PM
You say 'bogging down' I would say 'plateau' Any activity that requires thought, skill, coordination etc. you will have those times.. it's just the nature of the beast. I have taught music for a long time and all of my students have plateaus.. I did too, as did all my musician aquaintances.. In martial arts it is the same.. All the teachers at my school had and continue to have them.. all my brothers/sisters. It's a fact of life.

How do I deal with it myself? Back off, relax, try to look at the situation objectively. As an example, an extreme one since I REALLy had to laugh at myself afterwards, Several months ago one of the teachers was running some qigong .. I was having total brain lock and just was not getting this one particular sequence.. the longer I went the worse it got and I became more frustrated... I stopped what I was doing and grabbed a wuji posture.. closed eyes and tried imagining what I SHOULD look like to an outside observer... Then it hit me.. ALL IT WAS WAS YANG STYLE CLOUD HANDS.. I went right to it and had a great time the rest of class. Told the teacher afterwards and he laughed... he was aware I had practiced Yang style for sometime and chose not to tell me.. he knew that I would figure it out and that would make me LEARN. The whole point right?

SevenStar
03-28-2003, 02:06 AM
1. lay off training for a few days. Don't think about it at all. When you return, come back with a new vigor.

2. that plateau can come from repetedly doing the same routine. Change it in some way. Make it longer, a little more in tense, change up the exercises you do (or the order of them) etc.

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2003, 11:08 AM
You sparrin', hongkong fuey?

nospam
04-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Good question. I applaud you. Beats the rest of hte stupid garbage threads in here.

We all get bogged down and plateau. I say on average it tends to happen around advanced Green belt level. This is also the time when students will jump ship and try something or someone else out if not within the first 2-3 months.

In my opinion, this is a good test of ones' commitment. If you buckle down and weather the storm, you could be a Lifer. Bravo.

Talk to your senior students and your head instructor or teacher. Communication is always one of the best routes to take. Maybe a little diversion such as a fun weapon or some pattern from another style or taking a short break but committing to coming back and getting right at it.

I remember my ho-hum days. It lasted a good 2-3 months, but it happened later in my MA days. I stagnated and so did my learning. Part of it might be the path you've taken to date. Try to look outside your current training 'box' .. paradigms .. and another path or renewed interest might happen.

I know one great way of getting out of the doldrums is by teaching. Whether it be beginners, helping here and there...running warm ups...running basics...whatever. Again..talk to your instructor, take a step back and see where you are heading with your training and if yo could do more to be more.

nospam.
:cool:

extrajoseph
04-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Good advice, I found helping out in teaching is a good way to getting out of being bogged down in training. It gives you an alternative focus other than yourself. It worked for me.

Joseph.

Serpent
04-01-2003, 09:29 PM
All good advice.

However, I would add that a break from training is often very valuable. And don't just slow down.

For example, if you're feeling a bit plateau'd, don't cut back to training once a week or something. Stop training altogether for a week or two. When you go back to it you'll have a new found vigour and your body will have had a nice chunk of healing time too. It's an essential part of training to take a break like that once or twice a year. I think so, anyway! ;)

David
04-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Learning is progress followed by plateau followed by progress. The plateau is progress, too, only it has no landmarks to mark distance travelled. It's a good time to look at what you're doing afresh e.g. go back to basics and learn something new there. Plateaus end suddenly; the resumption of visible progress can be catalysed by retrospection or other methods. Retrospection is my preferred method.

If you're talking about power development then forget about power development for now and focus on form and application. This will catalyse resumed power gains.

You have to let things settle. It's your mind that controls your development and nobody's mind has a handle on all the variables straight ff - time for unconscious assimilation is required.

-David