PDA

View Full Version : ezine thang

David Jamieson
03-26-2003, 11:12 AM
hey there kfqg'er types

i was reading the article in the ezine "from outdoor to indoor" and the exercise that has been animated in flash appears to be a road from Tan Tui.

So, this brings to mind, has Tan Tui in all of it's iterations been broken down and parceled out as individual roads?

Just askin

cheers

@PLUGO
03-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Not to my undertanding... but that doesn't say much.

do I detect another article?

GeneChing
03-26-2003, 02:42 PM
It's exactly like Tan Tui, but then again, many of the movements of Tan Tui are pretty common. I've seen Tan Tuy practiced like individual lines, similar to the animals of Xingyi. In fact, in my mind, that's one of the best ways to work it.

Apart from the technique, what did you all think of that article? Author Chen Pengcheng has submitted some interesting stuff for us recently, straight out of China. He did a nice kicking piece for our May June 2003 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=318) issue, with more to come. I like his form and his research. One of our writers to watch.

David Jamieson
03-26-2003, 03:01 PM
ght-

that's interesting. are all your forms that short? and then in the end you string them together when you have learned a series of them?

Gene-
I think the article was good. The guy does have good form.
The animation while not "exactly/exactly" the same is eerily close to the first road in 10 road tan tui.

DS- an article on the different tan tui sets would be great!
I only know the 10 road, so I am not the one. perhaps a collaberative piece would be cool! And you could animate the roads! and people could learn this fundamental and great set! right here! :)

cheers

count
03-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
ght-

that's interesting. are all your forms that short? and then in the end you string them together when you have learned a series of them?

Gene-
I think the article was good. The guy does have good form.
The animation while not "exactly/exactly" the same is eerily close to the first road in 10 road tan tui.

DS- an article on the different tan tui sets would be great!
I only know the 10 road, so I am not the one. perhaps a collaberative piece would be cool! And you could animate the roads! and people could learn this fundamental and great set! right here! :)

cheers

This looks similar to our first line. I have heard Tan Tui translated as striking legs, flicking legs, and a few others. I have learned 10 lines in our system which some are longer than the others and usually done once right, once left and again right and finish like the animation. But if you hold each movement correctly it take about an hour to complete the form. You can also continue with one line forever, which is where they get the roads. You could say I did a mile of each. Tough training. We also perform a short version which does the first five, one side each and than returns the last five, one side each. If your curious, this is one of Adam Hsu's basic forms. BTW, there is a two man version too. I have seen the 12 line, Islamic version and also learned a 12 line Shaolin version. The 12 line Shaolin version I know doesn't break out the roads the same but has many similarities.

Hint: Just because this is longfist doesn't make it a long range style. Many of the kicks are only steps.;)

GeneChing
03-28-2003, 10:52 AM
We've had a lot of discussion of Tan Tui on the Shaolin forum - a quick search of that forum will be veruy productive for you. Also Feng Wu & Chen Pengcheng's new article on horse stance (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=329) is up - check it out.

herb ox
03-28-2003, 12:16 PM
the form portrayed in the flash animation (nice touch BTW!) looks strikingly similar to the 10 line tan tui form I was taught as part of the northern shaolin system. My question is this:

Is the kick a snapping kick or a stiff legged, swinging kick? the animation skips the execution of the kick, showing the stance prior to the kick, followed by the extention of the kick...

cheers
h.o.

herb ox
03-29-2003, 10:23 AM
could it be the 13th line is the line made up by the student as a distillation of all the previous technique?

I remember a movie called "Crossroads" (strangely apropos considering the tan tui roads thang)... Ralph Macchio (karate kid) was searching for a lost Robert Johnson blues song... turned out the song was really the one that came from the individual who's feeling the blues.... as the honorable Robert Nesta Marley said: "who feels it knows it!"

With all seriousness, however, my Sifu told me that, as advanced material, we'd have to formulate our own hand form based upon what we had learned previously... seems like a 13th "mystery" line could be the proving ground for demonstrating mastery of the previous 12 lines...

cheers
herb ox

herb ox
03-30-2003, 05:28 PM
mr ghthomason -
thanks for your reply... so, you're living proof the 13th line does exist!

Do you know of any publications over the years that visually document (drawings, pics, etc) of any 13th lines of tan tui? I would imagine the 13th line would change from style to style, just as the previous 12 might...

cheers

iron_silk
03-30-2003, 05:51 PM
WOW...really? 13th line tan tui?

I am currently learning the 12 lines and my sifu mention that sometimes they only practice 10 lines. But 13 lines well...

should I ask my sifu about? have any of you? (beside the person that brought this topic up?)

count
03-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Many teachers change things or add/take out things to identify where it came from. This is generally so you can tell if it is someone who has studied within the system or is simply memorizing a video and than claiming they learned it from the teacher. What's important is understanding more than one level including training AND usage.

GeneChing
03-31-2003, 10:58 AM
... but I've seen a 24 line tan tui at Shaolin.

There's a lot of variation in Tan Tui. And a lot of symmetry with other forms - Jiu Lu being a good example.

count
03-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
... but I've seen a 24 line tan tui at Shaolin.

There's a lot of variation in Tan Tui. And a lot of symmetry with other forms - Jiu Lu being a good example.
Gene,
I've heard you mention seeing this 24 line version before. I'm curious, do you know if it is a fight side included with the original side? We do a 2 man set of tan tui so it would technically be an additional 10 lines.

Guile
03-31-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi
Do you guys have any links for Islamic Tan Tui or Shaolin Tan Tiu.
I'd like to learn more about both. I am assuming they are pretty similar?

David Jamieson
03-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Tan Tui is drawn from Muslim Kung Fu.

Shaolin has adopted many styles from many sources into it's curriculums over the many years it has been around.

Taoist, Buddhist, Mohist, Muslim and others have all had their stay at the temple.

cheers

GeneChing
03-31-2003, 03:56 PM
I've heard of people who do a "fight version" of Tan Tui - but as far as I could tell, this was a 24 line version. I supposed it could have been a 12 plus a mirror-image version - or what the partner might have done to counter for a sparring set. To be honest, that possibility didn't even occur to me until just now. I only remember it because it was such an anomaly. The beginning was parallel to most any tan tui. Many of the successive lines looked like variations. I'd have to really dig to find the video of that again.