PDA

View Full Version : anyone know any history between chan poi and his student yao li?

Shaolin Dude
03-27-2003, 01:42 AM
do u guys know what primary style yao li teaches now?

18elders
03-27-2003, 05:26 AM
i think he teaches alot of tai chi, had a knee injury before so don't think he does to much hard kung fu

spiralstair
03-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Shaolin dude wrote:
"anyone know any history between chan poi and his student yao li?"

Yeah, Yao Li's butterfly kick got too high.

Seems there's a inverse relationship between the height of a Sifu's butterfly kick and the ability to stay humble enough to remain in WL.:D

woliveri
03-27-2003, 10:36 AM
I saw old video of Yao Li during a WL presentation doing a skit with a little boy. While humorus I didn't find YL to appear that exceptional. Of course it's hard to judge from a video.

I thought YL and MC separated ways because YL wanted to do Wushu and MC wouldn't allow it.

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-27-2003, 01:46 PM
I remember reading in Inside Kung Fu (I thinnk) about the Wah Lum Temple when it was first built back in my Kenpo days. After joining I went through the few old KF mags I had left and discoverd the issue with MC and YL on the cover. Haven't read the article in a long time but I recall YL wanting to do shows and creating a performance group (original Demo Team?) and MC not really being interested. YL had to talk him in to doing shows. That was my impression. YL liked the flash but MC was traditional.

yu shan
03-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Heard the stories, and have seen some video. Without a doubt, not impressed. Shrfu AD blows him away. Have heard years ago there was disrespect from YL to his Shrfu. But after what I have seen, who knows what is the real story. By the way, where is YL? Would be nice to meet and talk about stuff.

Woli

What`s with the skit`s and WL? Korny if you ask me. People are bored with this, show us the stuff.

woliveri
03-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Sometimes the skits work more often lately, the one's I've seen, didn't. The last one I saw at some high or middle school off hwy 50 with Mimi was terrible. Not because Mimi was in it, it just was bad. Actually Mimi did a full back kipup from a standing position (like Bruce Lee did in the beginning of Enter the Dragon) which was the highlight of the skit as far as I was concerned. The rest was crapola. Some of the better ones was with John Quinn and his wife Cicila in the early days of the Temple. John was/is really talented and not mentioned much. Actually, I seem to remember seeing John with Yao Li at a Jeff Bolt tournament in the Orlando Marriott some years ago.

yu shan
03-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks Woli, Mimi was a saving grace at these skits. Who I thought carried the load was "Tu" maybe you never met, a champion in my eyes, a class act.

woliveri
03-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Yes, I know Tu, Ben, and their sister Julie (a sweetheart for sure). Actually, Julie has some da-mn good kung fu.

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey, Wah Lum people are good again. Cool!

BTW, last I heard of John Quinen he was teaching Power Yoga at the Maitland Sportsplex. That was years ago. Was teaching KF at a Kenpo school in Oviedo before that.

Shaolin Dude
03-28-2003, 11:56 PM
yao li have his own kwoon in boston. and he's my sifu

woliveri
03-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Shaolin Dude wrote: do u guys know what primary style yao li teaches now?

Shaolin Dude wrote: yao li have his own kwoon in boston. and he's my sifu

Shaolin Dude, if Yao Li is your teacher why do you need to ask these questions? Just ask Yao Li.

yu shan
03-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Woli

Good point about yao li. Julie was one of the best I have ever seen. What has happened to her? A very nice family indeed!

Shaolin Dude
03-29-2003, 11:58 PM
cuz I don't wanna ask him

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Hold on there Shaolin Dude, you're learning Kung Fu from someone who hasn't told you what it is he's teaching you and you don't want to ask? Now that's not right.

Please, do not be afraid to ask questions about what you're learning. If he told you and you forgot it's better to feel a little stupid to your teacher than looking like an idiot to others when they ask your style and you don't know. Now, he might not want to talk about the circumstances of his leaving Wah Lum but that was so long ago I don't think anyone really cares.

Shaolin Dude
03-30-2003, 11:28 PM
I'll ask him when my membership is due again.

Siuhoimoon
04-01-2003, 07:03 AM
www.taichi.com

Yao Li's kung fu school page. Check it out.
It seems that he teaches Nan Quan and Tai Chi, no Mantis available. But I can be wrong. :)

Peace