PDA

View Full Version : Playing DVD's from other 'Regions'

Oso
03-27-2003, 12:28 PM
HELP !!!

Is there anyway to play DVD's from other 'Regions' in a Region 1 player????

Thanks,

Matt

Chang Style Novice
03-28-2003, 09:13 AM
There are some hacks and workarounds (I think they mostly involve installing a defeater board and void your warantee) but I don't know anything about how to do that.

What I did was bought a cheapie, no-name, probably singaporan or somesuch all region player from an e-bay seller in New Jersey (I forget the name of the seller) I ended up paying just under $100 bucks for it, and although it sometimes makes a lot of noise and often takes a couple of tries before it reads a disc, it's eventually played every DVD I've put in it, including Chinese, Japanese, European, and "all region" discs.

Run an ebay search on all region dvd players and you should get a passell of hits.

Oso
03-28-2003, 10:37 AM
cool, thanks CSN.

after doing some research and looking at the options I had pretty much decided that I would buy an all region player vs. trying to work around my player, which is my xbox so I didn't want to muck that up. But, I hadn't thought about checking ebay out. New ones look like they are still in the high $200's

Chang Style Novice
03-28-2003, 11:05 AM
DUDE! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3014911390&category=3316)

I actually got more results using the search "dvd player region free"

Oso
03-28-2003, 11:14 AM
*IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING THIS CODE-FREE PLAYER: This unit is easily made Code-Free and VCR Friendly by burning a CD with a file we email. We ship it without the regional protection removed in order to meet manufacturer requirements. After paying just let us know you want the instructions! That way, your Sampo DVE-611 can play any DVD on any television no matter what the video format: PAL or NTSC. Even play your European Region 2 PAL discs on your American NTSC TV without a video converter! If you'd rather, we will open yours and do the fix for you! This way, it is guaranteed to work for you! Just be sure to choose that option on the shipping list during checkout (see shipping below)

did you see this at the bottom. What do you think? I think I saw some that are hardwired to play all 6 regions instead. Sounds a little shady.

Oso
03-28-2003, 11:33 AM
well, I bought one. They had a 99.1% positive feedback rating from over 3700 people so hopefully it's legit and will be as described. After shipping and handling it is only 77.99 which is pretty cheap for a good dvd player anyway. we'll see.

wall
03-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Just order one from a HK shop or such. I've bought my Sony player from a HK shop (got the name and contact details from a friend), paid US$250+50 shipping, and have this really slick + really small + really good quality DVD/VCD player which is all-region from the factory, so no dodgy mods and such.

Wall

Oso
03-28-2003, 11:39 AM
wall

well, I've completed the transaction so I'm a little stuck. The process they describe sounds like they are altering the coding through a dvd that the player reads. I agree, it still sounds dodgy but...

Oso
03-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Here's a review I found of the player I just bought

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/sampo/

let me know if anyone cares for an update when I actually get it.

Oso
03-28-2003, 11:53 AM
thanks for the tip, I think this will do the trick.

Chang Style Novice
03-28-2003, 01:24 PM
¡Buena suerte! I've heard very good things about the Sampos.

Hai_To
03-30-2003, 11:39 AM
See if you can find a hack for your player here:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks

Oso
03-30-2003, 12:04 PM
HT, thanks but my player is also my xbox and I don't want to risk losing HALO !!!! :) I should have the Sampo by midweek and will post a review:D

swmngdragn
03-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Oso,

You may want to purchase "region free" dvd's from now on. I have a source for that. You can e-mail me, and I'll hook you up with "The Source". :D Sampo is a fine player, by the way. I sell them in my store, and have always had positive feedback from my customers. :)

Drake

[Censored]
03-31-2003, 03:27 PM
I have a Sampo. I'm quite happy with it. You can disable the region/protections using the remote control (at least on my model); you don't need to mod the hardware.

Did you know that you can run Linux on an unmodded XBox? That might enable you to bypass the built-in region settings.

Oso
03-31-2003, 03:33 PM
swmndragon, thanks, I'll check it out.

[censored] hmmm, a buddy of mine is a linux man, I'll have to let him know that.

Oso
04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
just got the Sampo hooked up and working.
seems to be a pretty good dvd player. I just eclipsed the rest of my A/V equipment though as I have nothing else capable of digital signal.

Watched one of the "The Water Margin" dvds from Singapore that I just bought. They are shot well and look very good. Haven't seen much kung fu action yet but am not really expecting them to be too full of that. But, I don't speak chinese at all so I might as well be watching silent film:)

Watching and Listening to DMB's Live at Folsom Field now.

thanks again, CSN, for the quick search you did.

the guy/company I purchased it from were very quick and professional and they did the tweak on the machine for me for $10 extra. Worth it to me.

Chang Style Novice
04-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Aw, shucks, 'tweren't nothin'.