PDA

View Full Version : Did he use a kungfu style in Dragonball?

L_Yuan
03-28-2003, 03:13 AM
Does anyone know if Akira Toriyama used a real style of Kungfu for the Characters in Dragonball or did he make up moves that only look like Kungfu? I'd ask a DB forum, but I think I'd get a better answer here.

kenso
03-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Sarcastic answer: Um, they wore huge turtle shells and blasted energy from their hands. What do you think?

Serious answer: I haven't seen any coherent style used. Just a general sort of "kungfuishness".

Souljah
03-28-2003, 04:59 PM
well it takes the mick really. It has alot of the kung fu philosophies and mentalities thrown in there but as for certain kung fu moves no i dont think so as the 'special' moves they always learnt trancended human capability - The simple physical attacks were never focused on and were just a run up to the kamehamehas or what have you..... :D :D

SanSoo Student
03-30-2003, 02:02 AM
I wish my kung fu teacher could teach me how to charge up into a super saiyan.

Souljah
03-30-2003, 02:42 AM
Heres a start (http://www.geocities.com/kitechniques/Ki_Energy_manual.html) - LMAO :D

Surferdude
03-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Hahahahaha
Limit break is from Final Fantasy 7
I think this dude has too much time on his hands...:) :D :p

GoldenSPARTAN
04-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Well my guess it would be monkey kung fu since Goku is alot like a monkey . I must admit that show inspired me to be in martial arts since I was 11 years old (now 15) one time I even did Master Roshi's training on my own and ended up with a bad back and a sprained ankle. I still watch it sometimes but I would never take it serious the only show that could even be close to reality is DragonBall but as for DragonBall Z it would take hundreds of years to fly and shoot chi balls accurately. I have great amout of respect for that anime series but I would never go in Martials arts because think I could be a super saiyen but that show has alot of creativity in it so i would never madmouth about the show martial arts,space aliens,fantasy gadgets would make a good anime cartoon but as for reality uh uh it would be cool if we could have senzu beans and hyperbolic time chamers.:D :cool: oh and lets not forget gravity machines.

Guile
04-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Souljah
Heres a start (http://www.geocities.com/kitechniques/Ki_Energy_manual.html) - LMAO :D

That was pretty cool:D
He must have thought about it a lot!

L_Yuan
04-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks for answering my question. The only reason I thought of it is in the first Dragonball episode it looks like little Goku is doing a Kata or Form of some kind in the beginning of the episode.

:eek: And Really! You have to be Saiyan to go Super Saiyan, otherwise Kryllin would have done it by now! ;) :D

SanSoo Student
04-13-2003, 11:00 PM
There is alittle saiyan in everyone of us :D :p

PHILBERT
04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Krillen is weak, Tien could woop any of the human characters butts. Everyone knows the strongest is Goku, then Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Goten, Piccolo, Tien, Krillen and finally Yamcha.

GoldenSPARTAN
04-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Even though its a cartoon I think sayienism is more of a human characteristic all you have do is be angry all time,some what barbaric,and have huge testoterone levels.

Silumkid
04-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Actually, in the original Dragonball episodes, "Jacky Chun" (Roshi) uses some very distinct drunken movements in his fight with Goku. Goku countered with Monkey style!

I had read that Akira Toriyama based the series off of his interpretation of the Monkey King legends.

My favorite "kung-fu" was when Goku stuck his Power Pole in the ninja's rear input! I laughed for ten minutes!

Guile
04-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Woh, pole in the rear? hehe that must hurt:eek:

StickyHands
05-03-2003, 09:14 PM
I dont know about monkey kung fu, even if he was a saiya-jin able to transform into a monkey. But in Dragonball Z, the most resembling kung fu-ish style that Gokou used was I would have to say Hung Gar. Because very often in the beginning, especially around the Raditz and Freeza saga, you'd see him do his favorite stance, which was stretching out his palm and legs, he would strectch one palm and shaped it like a claw, while the other was clenched in his waist showing a form of a block. And his legs were spread resembling common kung fu pose. My guess is, it was a tiger form of Hung gar.