PDA

View Full Version : Talk

B.Tunks
03-28-2003, 04:32 AM
O.K, I'm a neutral observer here but many things in this current batch of wrangling are really sticking in my eyeballs. I know I'm not the most polite communicater in this forum either, but I thought I might relay this...

First of all, your either good (in martial arts), or your not. Its not for you (meaning anyone), to run around telling anyone who will listen, just how good you are. One of the first signs of a fraud or a charlatan is the amount of bragging and posturing they do.

Once again, I dont know any of you personally (and this is not directed at one single person), but if you guys want to fight each other, good. Do it. You're all on the same continent, jump in a car and drive to wherever and sort it out. Easy! Surely with the amount of hostility being spread in this forum, some of you guys must really be pumped up for some action! Get it out of your system, you'll feel much better.

If fighting and being hard means so much to you then lets see what you're really made of. Beware though, most civil people will (rightly), see you as a total a.sshole. It would be much more productive to take your superior fighting skills into the competitive international combat circuit and make a good name for Mantis Boxing. Strangely enough, I doubt I will ever see this.

If you are young, tough and skillfull and are disgusted by old creaky fossils who 'cant fight with mantis' or dont 'know' the 'real' mantis, get over it. Likewise if you are old and wise and battle- hardened. You will make no friends hurting someone who is weaker then yourself and I doubt if your Mantis Boxing is any better than any other amatuer martial hobbyist in every other western country. Believe me, you're not.

If your a real bad boy and really know about administering and recieving pain what the hell are you doing trying to spark it up on the net. Get to it killer!

Talking tough on the internet is so very un-tough.

Remember this is a PUBLIC forum, so lets not embarrass our great system please brothers and sisters. We are minor players in it's great history so lets put things into perspective.

Looking forward to reading some valuable posts in the near future.
B.T

P.S; As I said, this is for no one in particular so please dont try to start some pointless argument with me over it. Its just a reminder that there are many sets of eyes watching.

BeiTangLang
04-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah!?!?

;)

Well spoken.

cha kuen
04-01-2003, 01:18 PM
One of the best praying mantis sifus that I have met personally said, "I know what the big picture is. Let's say skill is rated 1-10...of course it's endless. I would put myself around 3."

And yet this guy could beat 95% of the mantis guy's in the States. My point is that the more you learn, the more you realize how deep the art is.

"The more you know, the more you don't know"

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Agreed, B.Tunks.

On the other hand, having a big bark is a way of sparing attackers the big bite.

This post should be for EVERYONE in particular, myself included.

Michael Dasargo
04-28-2003, 03:00 AM
lol...thats mah boy. I knew I could count on you Brendan!

Frogman
04-28-2003, 05:13 AM
All this time I thought the Ten Fingers of Death was a typing technique. No wonder it didn’t work. Just kept hitting that iiiiiiiiiiiiii yet nothing.

Will practice more…

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Must, try... SHIFT key…

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Blast, it’s still not working…………

:D :D :D

RibHit
fm

Frogman
04-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Personal I am more interested in the knowledge that the few pass on, but I find the popping off as entertaining. Driving to the next town is not practical and you may be instigating more then the poppers by making such a suggestion. Take the good with the bad, you can learn a lot for someone popping off as their ego allows them to revel more.

Just a thought*;)

RibHit
fm

Robinf
04-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Good or bad are matters of opinion. In my school, the opinion of YOU that matters is your own. Not even your sifu's matters. It's your life. You're in control of you and your life, not someone else.

mantisben
04-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Proving to yourself and others around you of your martial prowess in TRUE combat...

Protecting and upholding the good name of your style/school...

To me, Praying Mantis was a way to learn self-defense. I had to learn how to fight so I didn't have to fight. Later, I learned that it also greatly improved my self-control, and ability to focus on other things like work, and the sports I participated in. I wasn't as hot-headed as I used to be.

Could I beat up Roy Jones? Nope... Will I fight him if he attacked me? Not if I had room to run...:D But even a cornered rabbit will fight back...

Not ALL Martial Artists want to PROVE themselves in combat. I WILL say that ALL Martial Artists want to be able to defend themselves (and their loved ones). I'll even go as far as saying EVERYBODY wants to be able to defend themselves.

Some people are just over-confident in their abilities, and it comes out (in MA forums) when they post.

If they are really as good as they are, I hope they don't hurt anybody out there. They could possibly use a bit of modesty or humility in their personality.

If they're NOT as good as they think they are, then I hope they don't hurt themselves trying to "prove" something.

Still, I'll say, that there are MA that feel responsible for upholding the good name of their chosen style. Some, frankly, don't. Maybe some have even be GIVEN the responsibility for "protecting" the good name. As for me, I personally feel that the PM style of combat holds up strongly all on its own. Again, my own opinion.

If someone tells me that boxing is better than PM for combat, I don't say PROVE IT TO ME! But there are people that WILL say PROVE IT! I could be wrong, but these people will lead violent lives. Always fighting, because there will always be someone out there to tell you that your style is not as good as theirs. Even within the PM community. If that is how they choose to live, so be it. Hopefully, they don't get shot. Hopefully, they don't go to prison for the rest of their life for killing someone.