fingers[ curled naturally ]

fists[ relaxed, held naturally at sides ]

shoulders[ relaxed (relaxed structure helps to sink chi) ]

What is the best way to punch in WC:

[[forearm tense, fist tense, before impact],
[forearm tense, fist tense, on impact]]

[[forearm relaxed, fist relaxed, before impact],
[forearm tense, fist tense, on impact]]

In particular, I would like to hear from Hung Fa Yi Lineage and learn more about the Five-Line Concept.

Also, when punching where should the intent be placed: [at fist | at elbow ].

Regards.

Savi
03-28-2003, 03:26 PM
An article was published in the Kung Fu Qi Gong June 2000 issue on "Understanding the (HFY) Wing Chun Punch." The article can be read at the VTM's website through the following link:

http://home.vtmuseum.org/articles/meng/wingchunpunch.php

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the article.

Regards,
-Savi.

foolinthedeck
03-29-2003, 03:21 AM
keep correct posture.
but relax. dont tense up, or you train tension.
IMO, when punching, you should be relaxed all the way, trying to 'tense just before impact' doesnt have the desired result, when you train total relaxation and sensitivity, you will apply enough energy at the end of a punch naturally without conscious thought.
many will disagree with me and thats fine, this way of doing things wont get you tonnes of power, but for chi sau its best, and with perseverance and yield rewards.

marcelino31
03-29-2003, 07:45 AM
foolinthedeck do you recommend keeping the fist soft -- with space between curled fingers -- at all times or should the fist be solid but relaxed when punching?

foolinthedeck
03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
i'd recommend that you dont try to think about it too much, this is something that i am prone to do - over analyse. If you relax not just your hands and body, but also your mind and stop trying, then things will come of their own.

sort of a Taoist concept - achieving goals by non striving.
not that i'm any taoist master, i just find that wing chun progression is easier when we relax our intentions as well as body.

of course it could just be that i'm lazy and unfocused but that doesnt feel the case to me, i'm relaxed and chilled and respond to changes.

but to address the question:
i tend to relax the whole fist. fingers apart.

when we do siu lim tao or chain punching, i believe we shoudl be training for relaxed reaction, or response. hitting tense may make you feel more 'energy' but its only making you tenser. There are of course times when its necessary and i'm in no way saying that my way is the only way. but doing it always tense has the effect that you cant relax, whereas a relaxed fist can tense at any point.

it may well be better to relax but keep the fingers closed in a fist, but then you will ahve to think more.

you know the bruce lee quote?

"when i began to train, a punch was just a punch.. when i had progressed, a punch was more than just a punch.. when i had advanced, a punch was again just a punch.."

my reading of that is not to make too much of any given thing, its just a part of the whole illusion.

hope i helped a little

foolinthedeck
03-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh!
also, just reread your original post and saw the last bit about intent (fist or elbow). its the same with this IMO, u can train your intent to be in the other guys chest, or train the elbow specifically. but i'd suggest that the intent be done away with altogether. thats not to say that if your partner drops his hands you shouldnt come forwards, just that the intention is unconscious. let the punch come out, let it be a punch and not something else.

intent is a bit like tension of the mind, you might not meet many of them, but there are people out there who can pak sau a tense mind just as easy as a tense forearm.