PDA

View Full Version : Funny review of Hero, from imdb

Kinjit
03-28-2003, 05:48 PM
"
Jin Park
Date: 11 March 2003
Summary: Best Martial Art Movie Ever

This movie is the best martial art movie ever made! It is based on a historic event and has a simple, but a good story. The cinemagraphy is simply breath-taking.

I know some people are having problems with this movie because people were flying (or jumping high and wide) or two people could defeat 3000 people. However, it's probably because they don't know old Chinese, Korean or Japanese history. In Asian history (by formal historic record), there have been many martial art experts who could jump over high walls or defeat thousands of people by himself. Too bad that there is no such a martial art expert left today.

Too bad that Miramax bought the US distribution right and is not releasing it anytime soon.
"

LOL :D. Still, an amazing piece of film...

Guile
03-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Only 3000 people?
Weak.
You have to beat at least 10,000 to be any good.

scotty1
03-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Seen it in Chinese. It's nice to look at, for sure. Be better stoned though. :p

Tainan Mantis
03-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Kinjit,
I have read a few books from Asia.
Which formal history books details the exploits of 1 man against 3000?

I have only seen this written in popular novels.
Some, such as the Ching dynasty history of Yue Fei, talk about one man being able to defeat 10,000.
Although books like these are believed as fact by some it can not be considered "formal history."

Maybe there are some good books I have overlooked?

Chinwoo-er
03-29-2003, 06:33 AM
er................ I think that 1 man vs 10000 talk is just a metaphor of really incredible people of the time.
Literal interpretations of many of the popular sayings in China would result to somewhat distorted perception of reality.

Kinjit
03-29-2003, 06:46 AM
I did not write it. :D

Guile
03-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Its like the Matrix, either you got it or you dont.

Vapour
03-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Musashi once defeated +50 swordmen at once. He basically hid himself and went for their leader. Once he got the head of the group, he did the nike defence into large paddy field then did guerrila tactic, killing these guy one by one. When he killed more than half of them, they gave up and started to run.

Jabb
03-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Vapour
Musashi once defeated +50 swordmen at once. He basically hid himself and went for their leader. Once he got the head of the group, he did the nike defence into large paddy field then did guerrila tactic, killing these guy one by one. When he killed more than half of them, they gave up and started to run.
And where did you hear this from? If it's true, can you show some link on the info? I've only heard that Musashi fought and won something like 60 duels, but 50+ men at once? Are you sure you haven't mixed these two things?

Vapour
03-29-2003, 05:39 PM
http://sushko.hypermart.net/gorinno/musasi-e.htm

In this link, it appeared that he only killed one though surrounded by 50. In another story, which I heard, he actually engaged these guys in guerrila fight in puddy field in which he killed quite few.

Anyway, he was a nutter.

Tainan Mantis
03-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Musashi's fight in the rice paddy comes from an old Japanese movie on his life.

Vapour's link probably has a better historical perspective.