PDA

View Full Version : Does Wing Chun Train and Use The Iron Palm ?

FIRE HAWK
03-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Does Wing Chun train and use the iron palm ?

Atleastimnotyou
03-28-2003, 07:14 PM
I don't think wing chun naturally has Iron palm ingrained in it, but i suppose one could practice it if one was so inclined.

Phenix
03-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Why do one need Iron palm when one's soft hand can shock the internal organs??

WCFighter
03-28-2003, 10:49 PM
My teacher, Master Joe Sayah, has gone through the iron palm and iron shin programs, under the guidance of Grandmaster William Cheung.

Some cool stuff.

Not sure of all the details involved, as I have not started this program. I plan to do it soon, however.

From what I've heard, you have to be careful when you go through the process. You must look out for red dots on your hand. These red dots are blood clots. If some are present you have to ease off for a few months and continue once they are gone.

Stevo
03-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
Why do one need Iron palm when one's soft hand can shock the internal organs??

True.

KPM
03-29-2003, 06:39 AM
I think it depends on what you mean by "iron palm" training. Most WCK uses the sandbag to train punches and condition the fist. Many use a flat bag at waist level to condition palm strikes. Most will use Dit Da Jow afterwards to break up any clots. But this is not necessarily the same program as the specific "iron palm training" that other systems use. From what I have seen, the "specific" iron palm training is not native to WCK. Those that do it have likely incorporated it from outside sources. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Its just a training method. If a "normal" WCK palm strike can cause damage, then a "conditioned" WCK palm strike is bound to be even more damaging. I guess it just depends on what you what to spend your time developing and what you hope to get out of it. Just keep in mind that there are some hazards to iron palm training, and that it is not required for good effective WCK.

Keith

Ultimatewingchun
03-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Grandmaster William Cheung's Traditional Wing Chun has a very regimented program for iron palm training:

100 consecutive days of striking a sand bag for one hour followed each time by soaking one's hands in a special herbal medicine formula...

You can do the same thing with your shins if you like...yes, we do use roundhouse kicks to the theighs and back-of-the-knee area of our opponent in TWC.

dbulmer
03-30-2003, 02:56 AM
No disrespect intended but why?

wingchunalex
03-30-2003, 01:39 PM
we do iron palm at my school. slapping a sand bag type. not bowl of pebbles or heated sand stuff.

yuanfen
03-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Iron palm- no big mystery. Hard iron palm- can be injurious on the long run Soft iron palm can help your palm from getting injured-
not mandatory but Hendrik it can help. Folks who have never stressed their hands can hurt their hands more easily.

Big strong dogs when trained only on grass can tear up their pads in urban areas or in the Iditarod with their "carpet paws"
The gradual soft build up on bags does not add power but adds the ability to handle the power when contact takes place. You cant always gurantee where your fist or palm will land ina real skirmish. Too much of many things is bad even the soft iron pam work. Balance.

Phenix
03-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi Joy,

As for Iron Palm.... IMHO, that a lots of so called Iron palm is just palm conditioning....

One of the reason I mention soft art and hard bow Jing... in the previous post is that if the soft art was train forcefully, by default one always almost oftern enter into the realm of hard bow. And hard bow training needs to be watched out very carefully if not causing internal injury, in particullary it may injure the circutory system and create heart problem.

As for the soft shocking.... (certainly hands, arm conditioning are needed for contact preparation...) but the key key bottom line is breathing. If the unconditional natural smooth breathing cannot be attain then by default one will run into "stoping" breathing pressing Dan Tien type of training which get into the realm of hard bow and might cause problem in the long run.

IMHO, when a special type of power is trained, oftern if one is rushing for result and forcefull. Internal injury is un avoidable.

Just my 2 cents. love thy body. it is not worthed to train anything might injured oneself and will only find out after 40years old...

yuanfen
03-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Natural breathing. And none of those red spots on the hands mentioned in another post or busted blood vessels .

anerlich
03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
As mentioned TWC has an hand conditioning program. My teacher offers it, but it is not a grading requirement.

His favorite saying about it is "Iron palm drives you mad."

mun hung
03-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Iron palm in WC?

Yes.

Rob Wolf
03-31-2003, 11:57 PM
In our lineage Iron palm is taught, we have many types of strikes we utilize, but we never hit full power, we tap the bags, also is trained in conjunction with lin gung dit da jow,We develop the Iron bridge witha type of sam sing sau(similar to hun ga's ) we have a five star and a eight star version it kiks arse ,we have many similar sticky leg drill, Hung Ga and wing chun are so rich , I have geen shown the common denominators so thank you , Im Rob and thats my time

mun hung
04-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Rob Wolf - do/did you soak your hands for iron palm? If yes, for how long did you soak them? Was the medicine hot or cold?

leen gung jow - tried about a half a cup from a fresh batch once (complete with some of the medicine floating around) and got pretty buzzed. I was just waiting to get pulled over by the cops cause I definitely looked/smelled drunk. Good stuff - wish they would serve it in the local taverns. :D

My brother-in-law is a Hung Kuen SiFu and he makes a pretty tasty batch also.

Mr Chips
04-01-2003, 03:23 AM
A friend of mine started the TWC iron palm course. From what i remember him telling me you start out slapping a horizontally placed wall bag and gradually build up force, as well as moving on to palm strikes and bil jee of vertically mounted bags.

The medicine was about a litre of vinegar, a litre of white wine and the herbs, boiled up and then re-heated every time you used it. Apparently you have to heat it very hot or your hands will still bruise.

The training can be quite difficult because if you cut or scratch your hands at all you have to stop and wait for it to heal. Also if you start out too hard you can damage your internal organs (our Sifu told him that if he started to p*** blood he should stop).:eek: