PDA

View Full Version : SARS Epidemic - What should martial artists do?

WCFighter
03-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone,

The greater Toronto area in Ontario , Canada is experiencing a serious outbreak of SARS. Some people have died. (There are other cases world-wide too)

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/AOL/2003/03/26/quarantine030326

If you ran a kung fu club, would you encourage your students to stay home for a few weeks until more is known about how it spreads, or would you continue operating as usual ?

Here, the authorities are quarantying anyone and anyone's family and friends if they suspect that you have SARS or have been in contact with someone who has SARS.

I have called all my students and told them that classes are "off" until further notice.

What would you do ?

Phenix
03-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Entering into the "deep" and rest there...

As it is said in the TCM " serenity and not stagnated, the true Qi will follow. How will sickness come foward?"

Internall, if the qi and mai are not distrub and chaos how is sickness come by?

Not an easy thing to do but, WCK has the technology.

Stevo
03-29-2003, 05:52 AM
I think you did the wisest thing.

Matrix
03-29-2003, 10:20 AM
In the big scheme of things, 10 days will not a huge difference in your Wing Chun training. Spreading SARS will.

If you have students, their well-being has to be one of your primary objectives. It's not an easy call, but you did the best thing, IMO.

Matrix

captain
03-29-2003, 11:28 AM
did you know that kowloon polytechnic has added a
ba degree in "how to accept an oscar" to their undergrad
prospectus!!

Grendel
03-29-2003, 03:27 PM
What a pantywaist question. :rolleyes:

captain
03-30-2003, 03:41 AM
"pantywaist"??moi???

Matrix
03-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Grendel
What a pantywaist question. :rolleyes: There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. ;)

Matrix

Grendel
03-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Matrix
There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. ;)

Matrix
SARS Epidemic---What should a martial artist do?

What can a person do? Does staying away from training protect anyone? Life is full of these small risks. A fearful response is not likely to be the rational one.

Matrix
03-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Life is full of these small risks. A fearful response is not likely to be the rational one. Everyone is entitled to their point of view. Sometimes you need to make decisions and weigh the risks against the reward. It's a judgement call. In order to escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Matrix

kj
03-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Everyone is entitled to their point of view. Sometimes you need to make decisions and weigh the risks against the reward.

Quite right.

Risk exposure is assessed both in terms of a) probability and b) potential impact or loss. Then weighed against the potential opportunities of accepting the risk. Even if probability is low, one may choose to avoid or mitigate a risk if the potential impact is high. Or to accept a high risk if the potential payoff is assessed to be extraordinary.

Indeed, we all need to make such risk assessments for ourselves (whether formally or intuitively), regarding SARS, taking on all comers, risks of being taken to the ground, or virtually anything else we may face or dream up. It's also up to us what, if any, mitigation strategies to employ (e.g., avoiding certain places, taking up an alternative grappling art, putting time into firearms training, etc. ad infinitum). Risk denial is foolhardy.

Note that the "average" probability of exposure to SARS, while still relatively low, is increasing dramatically by the day. The impact is certainly high. I'd say it's a risk worth monitoring.

Regards,
- kj

anerlich
03-30-2003, 10:52 PM
There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers

This may refute that ... SARS is what, exactly?

Grendel
03-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by anerlich

This may refute that ... SARS is what, exactly?

Hi Anerlich,

SARS=severe acute respiratory syndrome

Mystery Illness Continues to Spread (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=534&e=1&cid=534&u=/ap/20030331/ap_on_he_me/mystery_illness)

My point is that you're just as likely to get it anywhere as the kwoon.

Regards,

anerlich
03-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks G.

I'd imagine you're right, but at least in America you couldn't be sued for spreading it :D

Stevo
03-30-2003, 11:11 PM
My point is that you're just as likely to get it anywhere as the kwoon.

How is it transmitted?

captain
03-31-2003, 03:02 AM
you need direct contact with someone who has the "flu".
initially it was airborne in airplanes from the south east,
and that's how it first travelled.the flu is resistant to
conventional antibiotics,but in the uk some people have
showed symptoms,then have made a full recovery.so it's
not entirely the doom merchant some would say.and a
world health expert here recently said, it is not a sinister
agent,but a bug created fom the conditions in china,and
we have seen similar bugs before.[like the black death,joke!].

kj
03-31-2003, 04:36 AM
Stay informed.

From New York Times online and the Associated Press, 3/31/2003, 4:11AM EST:

Hong Kong Scrambles to Contain Virus

Health officials announced a sharp rise Monday in cases of a flu-like disease at a Hong Kong apartment complex and slapped a 10-day quarantine on one building as they scrambled to contain the illness that has killed nearly 60 people worldwide.

The 92 new cases at Amoy Gardens apartments brought the total number infected in the 19-building complex to 213. The surge in cases led some health officials to fear severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, could be more contagious than initially expected.

There is still no known treatment for SARS, which has killed nearly 60 people with the majority of cases in Hong Kong and China. Three new deaths were reported Sunday, one each in Hong Kong, Toronto and Singapore. More than 1,600 people have been infected worldwide.

A World Health Organization official said Monday that experts believe they can soon identify the virus causing SARS, though finding a cure could take longer.

[Remainder of article online at http://www.nytimes.com/ ]

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/

http://www.who.int/csr/sars/sarsfaq/en/

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2003_03_29/en/

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2003_03_28/en/

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Matrix
03-31-2003, 06:23 AM
My point is that you're just as likely to get it anywhere as the kwoon. True, and that is why some shopping malls and other public gathering spots in the Toronto areas are virtual ghost towns. Hospitals are being closed to visitors.The 4th death from SARS was reported yesterday. There are now over 100 known cases of SARS. It's spreading quite rapidly and does not respond to antibiotics. This is serious stuff, not your common cold. For years, there has been an expectation from world health organizations that we are due for a world-wide pandemic. Maybe this is it....maybe not. Time will tell. There is certainly no need to panic, you can be glib if you want, but being cautious is advisable.

Matrix

John Weiland
03-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Scared of New Virus? Wash Your Hands, Experts Say

I think the grownups will be able to follow this advice. I'd say the grapplers are doomed though. :p

Scared of New Virus? Wash Your Hands, Experts Say (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=594&e=2&cid=594&u=/nm/20030331/hl_nm/sars_hygiene_dc)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Worried about catching the stubborn and frightening virus suspected of killing more than 50 people and infecting hundreds worldwide? Wash your hands, health officials advise.

Ordinary infection-control measures that can protect people from viruses ranging from the common cold to influenza should work to kill the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) advise.

Matrix
03-31-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by John Weiland
Ordinary infection-control measures that can protect people from viruses ranging from the common cold to influenza should work to kill the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) advise. This is an air-born virus, resistant to antibiotics. It has already killed at least one doctor and affected many healthcare professionals. Wash your hands till they bleed. It won't help.

Matrix

John Weiland
03-31-2003, 11:02 PM
This is an air-born virus, resistant to antibiotics. It has already killed at least one doctor and affected many healthcare professionals. Wash your hands till they bleed. It won't help.

Matrix
I did all I can for you. I can't read you the article. :rolleyes:

For all of you with nightmares about little bugs: be afraid. Be very afraid. Whoooo! :rolleyes:

Matrix
04-01-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by John Weiland
For all of you with nightmares about little bugs: be afraid. Be very afraid. Whoooo! :rolleyes: John. Fear is not the answer. It only creates panic. However, sticking your head in the sand is not an effective reponse either. I don't expect to get hit by a car, but I also don't run around on the highway.

Matrix